PDA

View Full Version : Publishing a manuscript and a book simultaneously

philippeb8
2019-Mar-20, 05:36 PM
Hi,

I had this question before but I do not remember the answer.

Can we publish the same theory in both a book and in a scientific journal at the same time?

The marketing of a book needs to be privately funded and the marketing of a manuscript is done automatically so the audience is not exactly the same.

Thank you,
philippeb8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swift
2019-Mar-20, 05:42 PM
Hi,

I had this question before but I do not remember the answer.

Can we publish the same theory in both a book and in a scientific journal at the same time?

The marketing of a book needs to be privately funded and the marketing of a manuscript is done automatically so the audience is not exactly the same.

Thank you,
philippeb8

I suspect that most journals would not be happy with that.

philippeb8
2019-Mar-20, 05:48 PM
I suspect that most journals would not be happy with that.

Ok but letís say the book is a trimmed down version of the manuscript with no detailed proof, less mathematics and more human readable thought experiments.

I just donít know where to draw the line between whatís legal and what is not...

Jens
2019-Mar-21, 12:50 AM
Ok but letís say the book is a trimmed down version of the manuscript with no detailed proof, less mathematics and more human readable thought experiments.

I just donít know where to draw the line between whatís legal and what is not...

Itís not a question of legality. Itís a question of the journalís policy. You need to ask.

philippeb8
2019-Mar-21, 02:02 AM
Itís not a question of legality. Itís a question of the journalís policy. You need to ask.

Ok thanks Jens!

Jens
2019-Mar-21, 02:12 AM
Ok thanks Jens!

Just to clarify a little, some journals (particularly commercial ones) are quite strict, whereas there are others (often society journals) that can be fairly permissive. There are even journals (but not many anymore) who prohibit authors from posting on preprint servers like arxiv. So it's really best to check with the editor when you submit a manuscript.

Reality Check
2019-Mar-21, 02:20 AM
Scientific papers are supposed to be new science and journals generally do not want papers that been published elsewhere. Thus publishing in a journal and a book at the same time may cause issues - even with a "trimmed down version". You need to check with the journal.

philippeb8
2019-Mar-21, 02:24 AM
Scientific papers are supposed to be new science and journals generally do not want papers that been published elsewhere. Thus publishing in a journal and a book at the same time may cause issues - even with a "trimmed down version". You need to check with the journal.

Ok thanks!

philippeb8
2019-Mar-21, 02:26 AM
Just to clarify a little, some journals (particularly commercial ones) are quite strict, whereas there are others (often society journals) that can be fairly permissive. There are even journals (but not many anymore) who prohibit authors from posting on preprint servers like arxiv. So it's really best to check with the editor when you submit a manuscript.

Understood!