PDA

View Full Version : Save The Crabs! (yum...)

Maksutov
2005-Mar-28, 08:15 AM
The latest public education campaign from the Chesapeake Bay Program promotes awareness of the need to save the bay's famous blue crabs in order to eat them. (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=2026&ncid=2026&e=4&u=/latimests/20050327/ts_latimes/appetizingadsaimtoserveprotectcrabs)

Plus it means saving a lot of lawn maintenance until autumn. How about that?

Of course, leave it to PETA to try to put a monkey wrench (found in Candy's tool box?) into the works.

Karin Robertson, head of the Fish Empathy Project for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in Norfolk, Va., said that although promoting awareness about pollutants in the Chesapeake Bay was a worthy cause, promoting the consumption of fish was wrong not only because of animal cruelty issues, but because of contaminants, such as mercury and lead, in aquatic life.

"It's simply not safe for people to consume fish," she said.
Try telling that to the Japanese, Karin!

Fish Empathy Project, hmmm. I tried hugging a 22-pound bluefish one time, but only after it was dead. A gaff worked a lot better.

This reminds me of when I traveled from Connecticut to Florida for a week to visit my parents. I had asked the couple next door if they would please keep an eye on my house while we were gone, which they graciously promised they would. That became the MO whenever either family would go on trips.

On the return journey I made a stop in MD. Once back, I dropped by to see the neighbors and told them I had a surprise for them as a way of saying thank you for looking after my house. I mentioned it concerned a southern state with a famous tourist advertising slogan. I could sort of read Sue's thoughts when she smiled (thinking it was something from Virginia), but her husband Rocky laughed his head off (so did Sue) when the packages were opened, revealing t-shirts, each with a silk-screened crustacean logo and slogan, "MARYLAND IS FOR CRABS!"

Sure hope this effort will help the oysters too...

Candy
2005-Mar-28, 08:25 AM
"MARYLAND IS FOR CRABS!"
So is university, anywhere, USA. :wink:

Grendl
2005-Mar-28, 01:38 PM
When I was young we used to go from CT to Wrightsville Beach, NC for several summers and I always loved going over the Chesapeake Bay bridge--a marvel of structural engineering. The Bay has had problems for years now, and like Long Island Sound (at least in The Thimbles) it can be brought back to its better days. L.I. Sound is really an estuary with lots of rivers pouring into it. In 1975-76-77, there were still star fish stuck to the rocks, many more horseshoe crabs, there was once marlin, porpoises and all other kinds of sea life that is gone for good. For a while the PCB levels in the fish were high. It's better now because of these kinds of efforts. The problem is people who live up-river don't give a hoot.

The Chesepeake Bay can be improved. In the US we have some issues:

We love LAWNS. We love 'em despite the fact that they don't belong where we put them, such as in Phoenix. There's something to be said about a Japanese rock garden. Sorry, but we tend to be really dumb about how we do things.

Karin Robertson, head of the Fish Empathy Project for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in Norfolk, Va., said that although promoting awareness about pollutants in the Chesapeake Bay was a worthy cause, promoting the consumption of fish was wrong not only because of animal cruelty issues, but because of contaminants, such as mercury and lead, in aquatic life.

"It's simply not safe for people to consume fish," she said.
I eat crabs, but I love crabs, along with turtles, and can happily sit on the beach at dusk watching all the ghost crabs. I would go crabbing in Old Saybrook, CT at 2 years old--the 'ol string method. This is true--a lot of fish and shellfish is dangerous to eat. Oysters, e.g., have made a lot of people sick, though not entirely because of human causes.

I don't hug crabs, or any crustaceans, but my family has never enjoyed listening to them die. We put them in the pot and leave the kitchen. I have lots of poems about crabs, because I was obsessed with a Cancer* when I was 13. Crabs are hilarious to watch. Their campaign here makes sense to an often apathetic public.

Maksutov, beware:
http://www.mythicarealms.com/features/bestiary_images/grendel.jpg

*No, I don't believe in astrology, but 13 year old girls tend to want to believe that Taurus and Cancer are really made for eachother

HAVOC451
2005-Mar-28, 01:56 PM
"Fish Empathy Progect"
#-o
:lol:

Spacewriter
2005-Mar-28, 02:51 PM
I don't have a problem with eating fish, but I DO want to know if it lived in nasty waters. Chesapeake Bay has been cleaned up tremendously, but it still has a ways to go. And people continue to dump in it, which gets into the fish and other life. So, it IS a continuing concern and eating fish CAN be bad for you if it is full of nasty stuff. A responsible eater will try to find out where what they eat comes from...

Brady Yoon
2005-Mar-28, 03:33 PM
After the night I ate swordfish, I found a source online that said it had dangerous mercury levels... Why don't they tell you this before?

Candy
2005-Mar-28, 03:55 PM
After the night I ate swordfish, I found a source online that said it had dangerous mercury levels... Why don't they tell you this before? :lol:

Doesn't swordfish taste like tuna? Well, I thought it did.

Madcat
2005-Mar-28, 06:01 PM
It does and it doesn't. It's kind of like radiation. It's bad for you, but unless you're getting a lot of it you're never going to care. Naturally, you don't want to eat fish that came from a river downstream of a Gold mine, but supposedly you should be allright if you only eat fatty fish once or twice a week. Unless you're pregnant or a young child; in which case you should avoid fish that are known to have mercury in them. (No tuna, no Swordfish. I say the heck with that and eat my swordfish.)

Really though, shrimp's better. :) Then there's fried squid. It's like a little edible seamonster! 8)

Russ
2005-Mar-28, 11:10 PM
After the night I ate swordfish, I found a source online that said it had dangerous mercury levels... Why don't they tell you this before? :lol:

Doesn't swordfish taste like tuna? Well, I thought it did.

No! It's tuna that tastes like swordfish. :lol:

yeah, yeah, I know.

Enzp
2005-Mar-29, 05:10 AM
My wife and I share a favorite chuckle - a local grocery store used to have a sign in the seafood section, "boneless crab."

These PETA people baffle me. Both being living things, how does a fish have any more right to life than broccoli? Why is it any more moral or ethical to eat cabbage than chicken? DO we really know that the cabbage doesn't suffer when we lop its head off?

(spelling edit)

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-29, 05:18 AM
My wife and I share a favorite chuckle - a local grocery store used to have a sign in the seafood section, "boneless crab."

These PETA people baffle me. Both being living things, how does a fish have any more right to life than broccoli? Why is it any more moral or ethical to eat cabbage than chicken? DO we really know that the cabbage doesn't suffer when we lop its head off?
I think it's pretty well established that plants do not feel pain, while birds probably do. On the other hand, I recall reading about some research recently that concluded that lobsters don't feel pain. Remember, they're really just big bugs. Eating a Maryland blue crab (or several :) ) is no different from swatting a fly. Except it's a lot more delicious, of course.

Grendl
2005-Mar-29, 06:33 AM
I think it's pretty well established that plants do not feel pain, while birds probably do. On the other hand, I recall reading about some research recently that concluded that lobsters don't feel pain. Remember, they're really just big bugs. Eating a Maryland blue crab (or several :) ) is no different from swatting a fly. Except it's a lot more delicious, of course.
This Cuban man, who owns a Spanish book store, said to me Friday night that he's a vegetarian and doesn't eat anything that "once had a face." The question is, what has a face?

http://skipjack.net/le_shore/crab/crabface.gif

http://pub22.bravenet.com/photocenter/remote/1805537384/2EADB054A1.jpg

http://pub22.bravenet.com/photocenter/remote/1805537384/713EA3B1F0.jpg

http://pub22.bravenet.com/photocenter/remote/1805537384/E9FF0C1744.jpg

edit images

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-29, 07:00 AM
This Cuban man, who owns a Spanish book store, said to me Friday night that he's a vegetarian and doesn't eat anything that "once had a face."
Does that mean he'll eat worms?

Grendl
2005-Mar-29, 09:18 AM
This Cuban man, who owns a Spanish book store, said to me Friday night that he's a vegetarian and doesn't eat anything that "once had a face."
Does that mean he'll eat worms?
I don't know about worms, but fruits and vegetables have feelings too!

"The horror! The horror!"
http://archives.cnn.com/1999/FOOD/news/12/17/peeling/4.jpg

Angry apple courtesy of link http://archives.cnn.com/1999/FOOD/news/12/17/peeling/ An excellent book, btw, I bought for my niece when it came out. I especially like the group of chives in the book.

JohnOwens
2005-Mar-29, 11:43 PM
That's why I won't eat veggies - at least animals might have some kind of capability of running away, but what can a plant do when you come after it? It's just not fair at all. :wink:
Which, to my mind, makes it less ethical to eat a poor, defenseless cabbage, than a chicken that at least had motor function.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.