PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Self-Replicating Robot Probes are Destroying Each Other. Thatís Why We Donít Se

Fraser
2019-Mar-27, 07:20 PM
A new study takes a look at the Fermi Paradox by considering the possibility that alien von Neumann probes could be devouring themselves.
The post Maybe Self-Replicating Robot Probes are Destroying Each Other. That’s Why We Don’t See Them (https://www.universetoday.com/141855/self-replicating-robots-see-them/) appeared first on Universe Today (https://www.universetoday.com).

More... (https://www.universetoday.com/141855/self-replicating-robots-see-them/)

ronin
2019-Mar-27, 09:12 PM
Maybe they are already widespread and simply find it far more energy efficient to utilize the materials in star's Kuiper belts rather than wasting resources dragging them selves in and out of the destination star's inner gravity well.

slang
2019-Mar-28, 12:10 AM
New? Someone should read some Revelation Space, I guess.

WaxRubiks
2019-Mar-28, 04:53 AM
maybe self replicating space machines and any associated intelligent organic life fears being contaminated by alien societies and cultures, and stays well clear.

Hornblower
2019-Mar-28, 02:31 PM
Maybe there are not any such machines at large and never were. Unless someone can give me a compelling reason to think otherwise, I will continue to be skeptical about assuming inevitability of such ventures. Remember, we only have one example of a technological civilization to go on. By all means we should keep on looking for evidence of such machines. If some researchers prove me wrong I will graciously congratulate them.

WaxRubiks
2019-Mar-28, 03:42 PM
Perhaps a self replicating probe might have landed on Earth at some point, and then just drilled into the ground, and built whole mechanised worlds underground.....not sure we would have detected them...

Swift
2019-Mar-29, 03:07 PM
New? Someone should read some Revelation Space, I guess.
David Brin has also devoted some of his science fiction stories to exploring various von Neumann machine and beserkers ideas, including the idea that we haven't heard from other civilizations because they are trying to stay hidden from beserkers. I recall at least one story describing an entire "ecosystem" of predators, prey, cooperators, thieves, and exploiters among the alien machine cultures.

And frankly, it is all speculation without further evidence.

Swift
2019-Mar-29, 03:08 PM
Perhaps a self replicating probe might have landed on Earth at some point, and then just drilled into the ground, and built whole mechanised worlds underground.....not sure we would have detected them...
Wasn't that a movie with Tom Cruise?

WaxRubiks
2019-Mar-29, 03:43 PM
Wasn't that a movie with Tom Cruise?

what was the movie?

I don't have a tv any more, and haven't been to the cinema since around 2003.

Swift
2019-Mar-29, 05:53 PM
what was the movie?

I don't have a tv any more, and haven't been to the cinema since around 2003.
His remake of the "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (the aliens came from underground, I don't think they were self replicating). I was mostly making a joke about a stupid movie.

schlaugh
2019-Mar-29, 06:22 PM
Errr...War of the Worlds. :whistle:

The other was a Keanu Reeves remake.

eburacum45
2019-Mar-30, 02:06 PM
If two cultures of self0replicating machines came into contact with each other, the result could be messy and chaotic. Think of a Petri dish with two different strains of micro-organism. One might even learn to inhibit the growth of the other, like an antibiotic; if they are sufficiently adaptable, they both might.

Nut the most interesting possibility is that the two forms of self-replicating machine adapt to each other and form a symbiosis, that is more successful that either one acting by itself. Like lichen, a symbiosis between fungi and algae. Such a symbiosis might become far more successful and widespread than the original variants.

WaxRubiks
2019-Mar-30, 05:38 PM
If two cultures of self0replicating machines came into contact with each other, the result could be messy and chaotic. Think of a Petri dish with two different strains of micro-organism. One might even learn to inhibit the growth of the other, like an antibiotic; if they are sufficiently adaptable, they both might.

Nut the most interesting possibility is that the two forms of self-replicating machine adapt to each other and form a symbiosis, that is more successful that either one acting by itself. Like lichen, a symbiosis between fungi and algae. Such a symbiosis might become far more successful and widespread than the original variants.

depends on the reason behind why they both would have been deployed; why one intelligent species would deploy them as opposed to the other species' reason.
one reason might be just to reach out into the galaxy to make contact with other beings, in which case contact with another self replicating probe would be just what they wanted.
another reason might be just to set up a galactic communication network...for whatever reason.
another reason might be to amass a giant resource network, to built military ships...they might be having a war with another close system, or be a civilization that has split into two warring factions.....that would be interesting...a whole galaxy militarised just so that one species can fight amongst itself..

Chuck
2019-Apr-01, 03:06 PM
Maybe the aliens are paranoid and have programmed their probes to send back a quick report and then self destruct to avoid capture.

eburacum45
2019-Apr-07, 02:35 PM
Maybe the aliens are paranoid and have programmed their probes to send back a quick report and then self destruct to avoid capture.

Or to avoid any possibility of mutation/evolution/mission creep.