PDA

View Full Version : 1 Star Drive

bytheway
2001-Nov-16, 03:18 AM
Out of question, what do you guys think about the following site:

http://www.1stardrive.com/solar/index.html

It's about a theory that the sun's magnetic field causes the earth's rotation, magnetic field, etc. How much truth do you guys find in it? I know it's long, but interesting.

I'm studying electrical engineering right now (blasted Modern Physics class!), and happened to find this theory while following some links.

I'm always suspicious about those that believe that they are the only ones right and that everyone else is wrong. I haven't read the whole thing yet, just the first chapter.

Just wondering what you guys thought!

--BTW

DStahl
2001-Nov-16, 07:02 AM
As I read down the page I see that most of the material is a quite reasonable recap of standard physics and astrophysics. The following, kicking off from the susposition that Earth-orbit satellites' orbits decay due to something more than atmospheric drag, seems to lead us off into rather murky water:

"Its been said that deep space has little to stop the motion of the Planets and Moons. However, experiments with orbiting satellites prove otherwise. The solar wind's affect on a Comet's tail is tremendous. Any material which can move a Comet's tail the way the tail gets moved is not to be neglected. Personally, I believe it is foolish naivety to neglect this force. Adding the collision force to the path of a body is one thing, but, adding an electric break [sic] to the body is another. The energy required to sustain the plasma sheet tear in the solar wind is more than enough to break an astrobody."

"Thus, from this there is only one conclusion. That is the solar system's bodies are powered. There must be a force opposite the retarding forces just like the force added to man's satellites to keep them in orbit. At this point one can ask, if the system is powered how much power is the system getting."

My suspicious and skeptical hackles immediately rise.

You can see how his theory stacks up against other Internet luminaries by looking at crank.net (http://www.crank.net/physics.html) where you will find his site 19<sup>th</sup> or 20<sup>th</sup> from the top.

My all-time favorite concept from the crank.net physics listings is the one that refers to the "biopiezoelectric crystals of the brain." Now <U>that's</U> a wild and wacky concept if I ever read one! Enjoy!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DStahl on 2001-11-16 03:20 ]</font>

Simon
2001-Nov-16, 08:51 AM
About the whole comet tail thing... Solar wind and light radiation DO exert a measurable force, but a very very small one... As in, a solar sail with an area of a square kilometer would get something like 9 newtons of thrust at 1 AU from the sun. Comet tails stream out 'cause they're made from very fine particles of dust and gas, which means it doesn't take much force to get them moving, and ions, which means the charged particles from solar wind have a big effect on them. So it's like saying a 5 kph breeze is strong 'cause it wafted a leaf down the street.

bytheway
2001-Nov-16, 03:40 PM
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Science is so specialized these days that I can only accept what people in the field have actually said. They may prove themselves wrong, of course, and that happens quite a bit.

What I do find interesting is how he describes certain things. Take this, for example:

"As for the Internet browsers, they must have been written by some very unscientific people. Literacy is an indication of the training. Most Internet browsers can't do scientific notation. Math is the language of science. Internet browsers can't do math output which is why I had to picture frame the equations. All good word processing programs have superscript and subscript. Word Perfect can print some very common math symbols in text such as PI, besides superscripts, subscripts, and equations easy enough. Why can't the Internet browsers? Because the programmers who wrote the Internet browsers didn't have a scientific education. They never learned the scientific language. Probably did not know how to use Word Perfect either. Because, if they had learned scientific language, they would never have allowed such poor performance tool in an educational environment like the Internet."

I won't go into the reasons why this is pure foolishness (I'll leave that up to you).

And the best part about this site is the "government conspiracy" going on:

"There is going to be a big question asked. That is, why weren't the end numbers used to calculate the exact force-energy relationship? The answer is a little difficult to explain outright.

One magnitude intensity set of time vector numbers is needed to be complete. The numbers are the electro magnetic outcome of a single proton proton fusion. This outcome is associated with the hydrogen bomb, and is somewhat guarded. No one will admit to knowing it. Now, I ask you as tax payers, those people running colliders, super colliders, what are they doing? My problem is from time to time I work for the government as an indirect consultant and I don't want to print anything which would jeopardize my cash flow.

I've sent three presidents a copy of my book and asking for the number. The only one who answered me was the one who wanted to be known as "The President for Science." Mr. Science President didn't know. So, someone in his office said! Actually, it's a need to know number and the government doesn't think I have a need to know. And, Mr. Science President probably didn't need to know either.

After reading this material, you will find the number can easily be extrapolated. But, the bottom line is, if I get to officially know it, the government knows I'll print it in a heart beat. So it has been determined, you don't need to know it either.

On the other hand, if the powers to be really don't know it, then this writing will give them something to look forward too. May be even employ someone. Because it is a number which needs to be found.

Another little tad bit of knowledge I gained toying with the government over this number. Why hasn't the government come up with a hydrogen-hydrogen reaction to supply power? It's difficult, you say? No, no, no, it's what would happen if the way were simple? In the course of hard to easy, how long does it take to go from hard building to easy building, once known?"

Sorry for the long quote, but somehow I don't think this guy actually realizes the problems with creating a sustained, economical fusion power supply. They've been working on that for decades!

Anyway, thanks for you input!

--BTW

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-30, 04:44 PM
Out of question, what do you guys think about the following site:

http://www.1stardrive.com/solar/index.html

It's about a theory that the sun's magnetic field causes the earth's rotation, magnetic field, etc. How much truth do you guys find in it? I know it's long, but interesting.

I'm studying electrical engineering right now (blasted Modern Physics class!), and happened to find this theory while following some links.

I'm always suspicious about those that believe that they are the only ones right and that everyone else is wrong. I haven't read the whole thing yet, just the first chapter.

Just wondering what you guys thought!

--BTW

For someone who makes it onto Crank.net I think this guy goes into an amazing amount of detail outlining his theories, and looking through the rest of his site I start to wonder what he's really trying to accomplish.

Coming up with a new theory for how the gravitational laws work in relation to our Solar System is one thing, but selling Scuba diving trips to Alcatraz is on a completely different planet. Huh?!? ;)