PDA

View Full Version : CosmoQuest fundraising for 2020

ToSeek
2019-Nov-02, 06:52 PM
Pamela Gay, the CosmoQuest Project Director, is working on the budget for 2020 and has determined that the cost of maintaining the Bad Astronomy/Universe Today Forum is on the order of $500 for the upcoming calendar year. (This includes reserved instances of our server and database, as well as data transfer.) Ideally, we would like to raise that amount this month in order to be confident of entering the new year in a secure financial position.

Donations in any amount can be made directly via PayPal by visiting https://cosmoquest.org/x/donate/ , scrolling down and clicking on the large, yellow Donate button about halfway down the page. Be sure to include "FOR FORUM" in the notes section to make sure the donation is properly credited to help cover the Forum expenses.

All donations to CosmoQuest are tax deductible where allowed by the IRS.

George
2019-Nov-02, 09:00 PM
Pamela Gay, the CosmoQuest Project Director, is working on the budget for 2020 and has determined that the cost of maintaining the Bad Astronomy/Universe Today Forum is on the order of $500 for the upcoming calendar year. (This includes reserved instances of our server and database, as well as data transfer.) Ideally, we would like to raise that amount this month in order to be confident of entering the new year in a secure financial position.

Donations in any amount can be made directly via PayPal by visiting https://cosmoquest.org/x/donate/ , scrolling down and clicking on the large, yellow Donate button about halfway down the page. Be sure to include "FOR FORUM" in the notes section to make sure the donation is properly credited to help cover the Forum expenses.

I assume that following a donation and then taken immediately to a screen saying the donation goes to the Planetary Science Institute that CosmoQuest is the actual beneficiary, right?

After a donation, I was sent here.... PSI (http://www.psi.edu/?tx=9HY63029DF528212W&st=Completed&amt=250.00&cc=USD&cm=&item_number=CosmoQuest).

gzhpcu
2019-Nov-02, 09:04 PM
I donated and the page said "Cosmoquest"...

George
2019-Nov-02, 09:23 PM
I donated and the page said "Cosmoquest"...

I began by selecting Cosmoquest, so I assumed I was on the right track. The PSI page does mention Pamela and the link I gave ends with "cosmoquest", so I suspect all is well, but it would be wise to mention this in the donating process. Otherwise, Pam, please contact PSI and grab my donation before they spend it on Cokes, or something. :)

pzkpfw
2019-Nov-02, 09:27 PM
I don't want to join paypal for this, but if another N.Z. member plans to donate, PM me, and I could bank transfer a contribution to add.

nancygraz
2019-Nov-02, 10:18 PM
I don't want to join paypal for this, but if another N.Z. member plans to donate, PM me, and I could bank transfer a contribution to add.

You can pay via PayPal without creating an account - just use a CC or a Debit Card.

Nancy
Forum Admin
CosmoQuestX Build Team

nancygraz
2019-Nov-02, 10:19 PM
I began by selecting Cosmoquest, so I assumed I was on the right track. The PSI page does mention Pamela and the link I gave ends with "cosmoquest", so I suspect all is well, but it would be wise to mention this in the donating process. Otherwise, Pam, please contact PSI and grab my donation before they spend it on Cokes, or something. :)

All is good. CosmoQuest is now part of PSI, and all of our fundraising is "funneled" through them and then directed over to us - so all is good.

And THANK YOU for your donation!!!!

Nancy
Forum Admin
CosmoQuest Build Team

nancygraz
2019-Nov-02, 10:39 PM
To put things into financial perspective for everyone.

If everyone who regularly contributes and participates in the BAUT forum would donate the cost of a cup of coffee to CosmoQuest for your server costs, we would raise more than enough to cover those costs for 2020. So please donate your CUP OF JOE so we can keep the forum going for you!

Additionally, if you are still uncomfortable donating online, you can always send a check to PSI here:

Planetary Science Institute
1700 E. Fort Lowell Road
Suite 106
Tucson, AZ 85719-2395

Just remember to include on your check: FOR COSMOQUEST/FORUM

Finally, if anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to message me here, or email me at wshcrew1@gmail.com

THANKS!

Nancy
Forum Admin
CosmoQuest Build Team

pzkpfw
2019-Nov-02, 11:47 PM
Ouch!

Conversion rate: 1.00 NZD = 0.62 USD

Gillianren
2019-Nov-03, 03:45 PM
I'm on SSI. I don't buy coffee.

DonM435
2019-Nov-03, 04:03 PM
Tea drinker ... but I made a contribution anyway.

ToSeek
2019-Nov-03, 05:01 PM
I made a donation and got an email with the subject line "Receipt for your donation to " reading:

You donated $100.00 USD to

Thank you for using PayPal

Hope it was CosmoQuest!

nancygraz
2019-Nov-03, 05:11 PM
I made a donation and got an email with the subject line "Receipt for your donation to " reading:

Hope it was CosmoQuest!

I am sure it was, but will verify for you. I will let her know that there are some data fields missing in the confirmation emails being sent out. Not sure if this is an issue with how we set up our "portal" of if it is glitch on PP's end. Stay tuned.

Also, Pamela has mentioned that she is going to try to follow up personally with every donor within about 48 hours of her receiving notification of each donation, so that should also verify the veracity of everyone's donations if these glitches are out of our control.

THANKS to everyone who has already donated...

Nancy

ToSeek
2019-Nov-03, 06:33 PM
I got a thank-you email from Pamela earlier today, so presumably the donation was indeed to you all.

The Backroad Astronomer
2019-Nov-04, 02:20 AM
I wish I had some money to donate. Also the banner that asks for donations makes me think I am not logged in because it has the same background color.

slang
2019-Nov-04, 07:47 AM
I wish I had some money to donate. Also the banner that asks for donations makes me think I am not logged in because it has the same background color.

Once you've read it, just click the little X in the top of the banner. (If you win the lottery and are able to donate after all you can still find the link in this thread.)

ToSeek
2019-Nov-04, 03:33 PM

There doesn't seem to be any way to change the background color, but, as slang notes, the notice is easy to get rid of.

Extravoice
2019-Nov-04, 06:49 PM
When I read the forums on my phone using Tapatalk, Iím flooded with advertisements. Please tell me that some of that revenue finds its way to CQ.

Regardless, I plan to donate once I have access to my home computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nancygraz
2019-Nov-05, 04:32 PM
When I read the forums on my phone using Tapatalk, Iím flooded with advertisements. Please tell me that some of that revenue finds its way to CQ.

Regardless, I plan to donate once I have access to my home computer.

Honestly, regarding ads on Tapatalk, I am not sure, but I will check with Pamela (I wouldn't hold my breath, however...) I will get back to you once I have an answer.

And to everyone who has donated so far, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! Every cent that has been - and will be - donated is greatly appreciated by everyone at CQX.

Nancy

nancygraz
2019-Nov-05, 04:49 PM

I just confirmed with Pamela that the revenue from the ads on Tapatalk goes directly back to Tapatalk.

BUT, as she also pointed out, that revenue is used for their developers to update/maintain/improve Tapatalk, so all is good sinc you use the app WISELY to access this forum here! :clap: :D ;)

Nancy

Chuck
2019-Nov-07, 05:33 AM
There's a paid version of Tapatalk for Android for $14.99 that probably doesn't have ads. I haven't tried Tapatalk myself.

PetersCreek
2019-Nov-19, 05:50 PM
Folks,

With just 11 days remaining in the month, we have reached 58 percent of our goal. Thank you to all who have made contributions to keep our forum up and running. If you haven't donated yet, please consider doing so. Large or small, your donation will matter.

Donations in any amount can be made directly via PayPal by visiting https://cosmoquest.org/x/donate/. Scroll down and click on the large, yellow Donate button about halfway down the page. Be sure to include "FOR FORUM" in the notes section to make sure your donation is properly credited to help cover the Forum expenses.

Thanks!

Trebuchet
2019-Nov-19, 07:58 PM
Ok, just donated.

nancygraz
2019-Nov-19, 08:40 PM
Ok, just donated.

THANK YOU - and THANK YOU to everyone else who has donated to date!!!

Remember, every cent of every donation goes directly to covering the necessary costs to keep THIS FORUM alive and kicking for YOU. It goes NOWHERE ELSE. So if you value the information and discussions that are at the heart of this forum, it would behoove each and every one of you who is financially able to do so to donate what you can to keep it up and running.

I know it sounds like a hackneyed series of phrases, but no donation is too small, and every dollar donated really does make a significant dent in covering the costs of running this for you.

If you want the forum to be here for you through 2020, please donate what you can.

Nancy
CosmoQuest Build Team

CJSF
2019-Nov-19, 09:32 PM
So... we're going to have to struggle up to $500 each year from now on? :eek:

CJSF

nancygraz
2019-Nov-19, 09:54 PM
So... we're going to have to struggle up to $500 each year from now on? :eek:

CJSF

Possibly. Not necessarily. If CosmoQuest is able to secure sufficient funding through Grants, Patreons, etc., this may not be an issue in the future. Pamela has been burning the candle at both ends writing Grant Proposals on top of all of her other duties. But we cannot count on this.

But the harsh reality here is there is a sufficiently large pool of active users on this forum that I am honestly ASTONISHED that it HAS been such a struggle to get to $500. I mean come on people - even if there were only 50 active users here (and there are more than that) and each of those 50 donated only $10 to our campaign, we would already be at our goal. I am sure most people here spend $10 once or twice a month on something frivolous - yet many of those same individuals would often complain about being asked to donate that same $10 one time a year to keep this operating.

Sorry to be so blunt, but the truth often hurts. And I do get it - there are some who struggle for the necessities in life, and it is not to them that I am directing these comments. It is to those who are financially able to chip in $10 without hardship that I am speaking.

Nancy

CJSF
2019-Nov-19, 10:02 PM
I suppose Nancy is right, though I would not try to assume who can help in what capacity. I'll be chipping in myself, regardless. I would also hope that this is not indicative of the true interest we collectively have in this community, but you see what it is.

CJSF

spjung
2019-Nov-19, 11:13 PM
Hi,
I set a monthly pledge on Patreon, but I don't know if I earmarked it for the forum. Is there a way I can do that?

nancygraz
2019-Nov-19, 11:34 PM
THANK YOU CJSF - as I mentioned, I know not everyone is in the same financial situation, and I would never presume to think that everyone here is able to contribute financially. Just trying to get the point across that a greater number of small donations often exceeds a minimal number of large/huge donations.

Hi,
I set a monthly pledge on Patreon, but I don't know if I earmarked it for the forum. Is there a way I can do that?

Let me check on that for you. Can you DM me your "user name" on Patreon so I can have Pamela look for your pledge?

Nancy

nancygraz
2019-Nov-19, 11:45 PM
Hi,

I just asked Pamela - she said to send a message to this effect ^^^^ through Patreon and that should do the trick.

Nancy

nancygraz
2019-Nov-19, 11:53 PM
THANK YOU to everyone who has made a donation in the last couple of hours! We are tracking all donations, and everyone will receive a personal thank you from Pamela within the next 48 hours or so.

Also, as an incentive, if we can manage to sufficiently raise enough over and above our stated $500 goal, we will be reserving server space and all associated resources for 3 years, not just 1.

THANKS AGAIN!

Nancy

Trebuchet
2019-Nov-20, 01:06 AM
Are we over the goal yet? Should be.

nancygraz
2019-Nov-20, 01:19 AM
Are we over the goal yet? Should be.

We are getting there - but keep in mind that if we DO exceed our goal, it is better in the long run since we can then use the extra to reserve our servers for a longer term at a reduced rate, and we won't have to go through this exercise for a couple of year.

-=/\/=-

Gillianren
2019-Nov-20, 03:58 PM
Can I be blunt, too? It is extremely rude to go on about what we can give up in exchange for something that has been a free service for as long as the forum has. You're right; you don't know the financial situation of everyone here. For all you know, there are members whose time on the board is entirely at public libraries because they are themselves without internet access any other way. I can tell you for absolute certainty that there are members for whom "something frivolous" is buying shoes for themselves instead of for their kids. Shaming people just makes them angry; it doesn't make them contribute to your goal.

I will say that I'd be at least somewhat likely to buy themed merchandise, especially if it had the old BAUT logo or something on it, with what disposable income I have. But I have $25.66 left in my bank account for the rest of the month, and if I choose to spend it going to lunch with my best friend, that's an important use of it to me.

Bearded One
2019-Nov-21, 11:18 PM
Do I get a rules infraction forgiveness for donating? :D

I put the "for forum" note on the PayPal page, I hope that's where it belongs.

nancygraz
2019-Nov-21, 11:24 PM
Do I get a rules infraction forgiveness for donating? :D

I put the "for forum" note on the PayPal page, I hope that's where it belongs.

LOL Bearded One!

THANK YOU for the donation - and it sounds as if you put the note in the correct place!

Nancy

geonuc
2019-Nov-22, 07:31 PM
Can I be blunt, too? It is extremely rude to go on about what we can give up in exchange for something that has been a free service for as long as the forum has. You're right; you don't know the financial situation of everyone here. For all you know, there are members whose time on the board is entirely at public libraries because they are themselves without internet access any other way. I can tell you for absolute certainty that there are members for whom "something frivolous" is buying shoes for themselves instead of for their kids. Shaming people just makes them angry; it doesn't make them contribute to your goal.

I will say that I'd be at least somewhat likely to buy themed merchandise, especially if it had the old BAUT logo or something on it, with what disposable income I have. But I have $25.66 left in my bank account for the rest of the month, and if I choose to spend it going to lunch with my best friend, that's an important use of it to me.

That's pretty harsh, Gillian, especially given that nancygraz explicitly noted that she knew some members cannot afford to donate and explicitly directed her 'blunt' comment to those that could afford to donate.

PetersCreek
2019-Nov-22, 08:25 PM
That's pretty harsh, Gillian, especially given that nancygraz explicitly noted that she knew some members cannot afford to donate and explicitly directed her 'blunt' comment to those that could afford to donate.

This thread isn't the place for such a discussion. And to anyone who might be tempted to continue this line of discussion: please drop it.

spjung
2019-Nov-22, 10:06 PM
I just asked Pamela - she said to send a message to this effect ^^^^ through Patreon and that should do the trick.

Nancy
OK, I did both. Thanks.

Fiery Phoenix
2019-Nov-25, 09:38 AM
Donated my fair share. All the best to Pamela and the rest of the team.

nancygraz
2019-Nov-26, 06:57 PM
Donated my fair share. All the best to Pamela and the rest of the team.

THANK YOU!!!! We all appreciate it!

Nancy

nancygraz
2019-Nov-26, 07:25 PM
Hi all,

We are in the home stretch of our Server Funding Drive, and are VERY excited to announce that an anonymous benefactor has stepped forward today with the very generous offer of DOLLAR-FOR-DOLLAR MATCHING FUNDS for the first $140 donated between now and the end of the month.

That's right - we could conceivably raise another $280 which would allow CosmoQuest to reserve three years' worth of server time and space for this forum.

If you have been thinking about donating, this might be the time to do so since you will double your impact. Don't forget to include FOR FORUM in the PayPal Notes section, and remember, all donations to CosmoQuest are tax deductible where allowed by the IRS.

And again, for everyone at CQX, let me say THANK YOU to everyone in the forum. We do appreciate all of you.

Nancy

geonuc
2019-Nov-27, 12:07 AM
I already donated but since someone's going to match, I kicked in a few more bucks.

Extravoice
2019-Nov-27, 01:36 AM
I already donated but since someone's going to match, I kicked in a few more bucks.

Me too.

nancygraz
2019-Nov-27, 12:10 PM
Me too.

THANK YOU BOTH!!! We really do have an awesome community here!!!

-=/\/=-

Spacedude
2019-Nov-30, 03:09 PM
This will probably be one of the dumbest questions ever asked on the forum but how would one donate via snail mail by personal check? Being an old timer I don't deal with paypal, bitcoin, etc. Thanks, and thanks for this forum!

schlaugh
2019-Nov-30, 03:18 PM
This will probably be one of the dumbest questions ever asked on the forum but how would one donate via snail mail by personal check? Being an old timer I don't deal with paypal, bitcoin, etc. Thanks, and thanks for this forum!

Here you go.

Additionally, if you are still uncomfortable donating online, you can always send a check to PSI here:

Planetary Science Institute
1700 E. Fort Lowell Road
Suite 106
Tucson, AZ 85719-2395

Just remember to include on your check: FOR COSMOQUEST/FORUM

Spacedude
2019-Nov-30, 03:43 PM
Thanks Schlaugh, that post slipped by me. Check is in the mail.

Extravoice
2019-Dec-01, 03:36 PM
Admins, you might want to change the big yellow banner on the main page. It still says something about eleven days left in the month.

Fiery Phoenix
2019-Dec-01, 07:07 PM
Any updates? What's our funding status?

nancygraz
2019-Dec-01, 07:24 PM
Any updates? What's our funding status?

Last I checked, Pamela was still tallying everything - plus we have at least one paper check that has been sent that needs to be included. Let me ping her to get a figure right now and will post it as soon as I have it. I do believe, however, that we exceeded our goal of raising enough for 3 years of servers.

Hang tight.

Nancy

nancygraz
2019-Dec-01, 08:08 PM
I am more than thrilled to announce that $1400 has been raised by the members of this community to go toward server costs. This will allow us to reserve 3 YEARS of service at a reduced rate, plus do a few more things to enhance the overall forum experience.

I do believe there is at least one more donation in the mail, so our total will go up, but right now I do want to say:

THANK YOU EVERYONE, AND WELL DONE!!!!

We absolutely have an amazing community here, with awesome admins and mods, and I am pleased that the forum will continue to thrive.

Nancy
CosmoQuest Build Team

The Backroad Astronomer
2019-Dec-01, 11:34 PM
Congrats. Three more years of me making weird posts and combining posts because I don't feel like splitting something up. But this is good new this place does allow a certain community to communicate just wish I could of helped.

ToSeek
2019-Dec-02, 02:58 AM
Admins, you might want to change the big yellow banner on the main page. It still says something about eleven days left in the month.

I've disabled the notice.

Trebuchet
2019-Dec-02, 06:23 PM
I am more than thrilled to announce that $1400 has been raised by the members of this community to go toward server costs. This will allow us to reserve 3 YEARS of service at a reduced rate, plus do a few more things to enhance the overall forum experience.

I do believe there is at least one more donation in the mail, so our total will go up, but right now I do want to say:

THANK YOU EVERYONE, AND WELL DONE!!!!

We absolutely have an amazing community here, with awesome admins and mods, and I am pleased that the forum will continue to thrive.

Nancy
CosmoQuest Build Team

Good news!