PDA

View Full Version : The hardest question known to mankind....

g99
2002-Jul-18, 07:21 PM
What is (if any) the tv show/movie that is the most scientifically accurate, Astronomy wise (or actually any science)? Not including news shows and documentaries. Are there any at all?

xriso
2002-Jul-19, 12:54 AM
On 2002-07-18 15:21, g99 wrote:
What is (if any) the tv show/movie that is the most scientifically accurate, Astronomy wise (or actually any science)? Not including news shows and documentaries. Are there any at all?

Movies that have nothing to do with astronomy go about it pretty accurately. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

jaydeehess
2002-Jul-19, 01:17 AM
I think that 2001 tried pretty hard to conform to actual facts as far as the story would allow. After all the basis was that life on Earth was directed by another, advanced race. There was no sound in space, the star fields looked OK, as far as I remember,and although the special effects look cheesy today, at the time I was fascinated. I even used my allowance money to purchase a copy of "Popular Science" that had a front page article about the special effects they had and the sets they used.

It is sad that I have to go that far back to think of a movie that fits the bill.

g99
2002-Jul-19, 01:27 AM
i agree with you both.

Chip
2002-Jul-19, 01:39 AM
On 2002-07-18 21:17, jaydeehess wrote:
"...and although the special effects look cheesy today, at the time I was fascinated. I even used my allowance money to purchase a copy of "Popular Science" that had a front page article about the special effects they had and the sets they used."

I agree with you about the accuracy - except for the criticism of the special effects. I think you're being a bit harsh. They were perhaps less gimmicky than a lot of space blockbusters today, especially with regard to the moving spaceship images, but 2001 is no less splendid, and holds up very well in my opinion. The wild ride in the later half of the film still captivates the eye!

For depicted "being-in-space" accuracy I'd also add Apollo 13 and The Right Stuff except those were movies about real events and not fictional. So they aren't quite "science fiction."

David Hall
2002-Jul-19, 03:55 AM
I second the motion about Apollo 13. That one has my vote for #1. Any movie that simulates free-fall by actually using free-fall has got it right.

(Note, the OP didn't specifically say it had to be SF, just not a documentary. Apollo 13 was not a documentary, but a dramatization of a real-life event. So I think it counts.)

2001 is probably the overall winner though. It set the standard for accuracy that very few movies have ever matched (not that many have really tried though). The few errors in it are small and mostly there for the film effect (billowing dust on the Moon, craggy lunar surface, moving stars). The are easy to ignore.

Number 3 on my all-time list is the 1954 Heinlein production Destination Moon (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=144&forum=4&start=34). This movie's whole purpose was to depict a Moon mission with scientific accuracy, so it's natural that the got it right, given the limitations of the era and the budget. I truly recommend it if you can ever find it.

Other honorable mentions are Contact (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/contact.html) and Deep Impact (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/di2.html). Can't give them top honors, but you can see they at least gave it some thought. But the BA's reviews tell it better than I can, so read them.

Babylon 5 gets my vote for SF tv series. Sure, lots of bad, but more good than any other show I can name, and very entertaining to boot.

Other than that though, I can't think of any off-hand that fit this category. There are probably a few small-time productions that tried hard but are not well-known though.

The truth is, there just aren't that many movies that tried to be accurate, and to my mind, that's counts more than actually getting it right.

g99
2002-Jul-19, 06:01 PM
On 2002-07-18 23:55, David Hall wrote:
The truth is, there just aren't that many movies that tried to be accurate, and to my mind, that's counts more than actually getting it right.

That is why it is the hardest question known to makind! Good Job David!!

How about a very short lives FOX show Space above and beyond! It was about a group of marines fighting an alien threat. For the few shows i have seen, they seemed acurate. Maybe that is why the show failed /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif.