PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps the worst of all...

The Rat
2001-Nov-16, 02:45 PM
This being 2001, I think there should have been a celebration of the film of the same name. 'Splurge on some new prints and throw some parties' kind of stuff. I can't believe that nobody did anything. Did I sleep through something?

Donnie B.
2001-Nov-16, 03:50 PM
Funny, I was thinking that just the other day. You'd think there would at least be a special DVD release or something.

Maybe there were plans to do that, which were cancelled when Kubrick died? Just speculating here.

The Bad Astronomer
2001-Nov-16, 04:02 PM
2001 is out on DVD with commentary and the like. I have seen it at the local store. I want to review it before year's end, but I've been way busy. I may yet get my chance soon though.

Wiley
2001-Nov-16, 04:16 PM
Well, they apparently just celebrated ACC at the Playboy mansion.

Link to CNN article (http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/space/11/15/clarke.gala/index.html)

I wish I was invited. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Donnie B.
2001-Nov-16, 08:35 PM
(CNN) -- What could possibly bring creepy rocker Alice Cooper, Academy Award winner Tom Hanks and Apollo astronaut Jim Lovell together? A party for Sir Arthur C. Clarke, of course.

Hollywood notables, brainy futurists, and a veteran moon walker alike will attend the black-tie gala Thursday to pay tribute to the eccentric science fiction legend.

Not Bad Astronomy, exactly, but Bad History. Jim Lovell never did get to walk on the moon.

(Unless, of course, there was another Apollo astronaut at the gala. Buzz Aldrin, maybe?)

SeanF
2001-Nov-16, 08:45 PM
On 2001-11-16 15:35, Donnie B. wrote:

(CNN) -- What could possibly bring creepy rocker Alice Cooper, Academy Award winner Tom Hanks and Apollo astronaut Jim Lovell together? A party for Sir Arthur C. Clarke, of course.

Hollywood notables, brainy futurists, and a veteran moon walker alike will attend the black-tie gala Thursday to pay tribute to the eccentric science fiction legend.

Not Bad Astronomy, exactly, but Bad History. Jim Lovell never did get to walk on the moon.

(Unless, of course, there was another Apollo astronaut at the gala. Buzz Aldrin, maybe?)

Maybe Michael Jackson?

BTW, since this article is dated today, but is written in the future tense, does that mean the party is next Thursday?

Maybe my invitation just hasn't arrived yet . . . /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeanF on 2001-11-16 15:45 ]</font>

ToSeek
2001-Nov-17, 06:40 PM
On 2001-11-16 15:45, SeanF wrote:

On 2001-11-16 15:35, Donnie B. wrote:
Jim Lovell never did get to walk on the moon.

Maybe Michael Jackson?

Maybe Jim Lovell or Tom Hanks does a mean moonwalk. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Iain Lambert
2001-Nov-19, 11:34 AM
I can _highly_ recommend getting the newer version of 2001 that was released on DVD earlier this year. Its based on the 70mm remaster that I saw in the cinema this summer, and looks absolutely stunning. I'd seen 2001 on TV, VHS and the first DVD release, but it wasn't until that cinema screening that I really saw it, if you know what I mean. Its a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.