PDA

View Full Version : Canadians are getting fatter!

dvb
2005-Apr-08, 05:49 PM
In a report released on Wednesday, the Association for Canadian Studies said 48 per cent of Canadian adults are overweight and almost 15 per cent obese. The report used Statistics Canada figures from 2003.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2005/04/07/obesity-canada050407.html

I never realized it was actually that high! :o

Brady Yoon
2005-Apr-08, 05:52 PM
Hey, it's not just the US. :)

I think it's just natural that people in developed countries are fat: they have more to eat and they don't need to live an active lifestyle.

But the good thing is that you can choose to exercise and eat good food.

Evan
2005-Apr-08, 06:18 PM
I like this quote from the health officer:

"[Canadians] are going to be looking forward to a life expectancy that is shorter and associated with more problems and less pleasant outcomes than their parents," he says.

So, just what is the "less pleasant outcomes" supposed to be. Deader?

gethen
2005-Apr-08, 07:07 PM

"[Canadians] are going to be looking forward to a life expectancy that is shorter and associated with more problems and less pleasant outcomes than their parents," he says.

Probably just dead sooner. :wink:

tmosher
2005-Apr-08, 08:26 PM

Probably just dead sooner. :wink:

I can think of a few "less pleasant outcomes". Diabetes, stroke, heat disease, etc. All lovely diseases associated with an unhealthy lifestyle.

Anyone read the study they did in Europe? The title of the paper is "Modified Mediterranean diet and survival: EPIC-elderly prospective cohort study". Quick summary is, and I quote, "...adherence to a diet relying on plant foods and unsaturated lipids that resembles the Mediterranean diet, may be particularly appropriate for elderly people..."

Candy
2005-Apr-08, 09:08 PM
In a report released on Wednesday, the Association for Canadian Studies said 48 per cent of Canadian adults are overweight and almost 15 per cent obese. The report used Statistics Canada figures from 2003.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/science/national/2005/04/07/obesity-canada050407.html

I never realized it was actually that high! :o
It doesn't take much to be clinically obese. Just last month, my fat percent was 39.8%. Anything over 33% is clinically obese. :o

In another month, I be well under 33%. I'm surprised at how quickly I was able to change my percentage with regular exercise. :D

dakini
2005-Apr-09, 12:00 AM
I have no idea what my body fat % is.

But I think most of the western world is getting fat.

Evan
2005-Apr-09, 12:15 AM
Hey, I've been working hard since 1986 to get where I am now, about 20%. In 1986 I was at 3 to 5%. When someone says to me something like "you don't know what it's like to be hungry" I really have to restrain myself. I nearly starved to death while eating.

WaxRubiks
2005-Apr-09, 02:01 AM
non of the people on Star Trek seem to be fat....
......is that fattisum?

Gullible Jones
2005-Apr-09, 02:16 AM
Scotty and Kirk got fat later on.

tmosher
2005-Apr-09, 04:11 AM

Uhura put on a few pounds - remember The Final Frontier?

dvb
2005-Apr-09, 05:04 AM

That's because they're Canadian! :P

Don't you see a pattern emerging here?

Grendl
2005-Apr-09, 05:16 AM
Perhaps, our northern friends, you need your cookies taken away from you, too. Repeat, "It's a sometimes food."

http://rubidium.negative273.com/images/cookiemonster.jpg

fossilnut2
2005-Apr-09, 07:52 PM
I just shake my head at how much people stuff down the throats of their children. Otherwise loving parents who take their wee ones through the doors of McDonalds or other establishments of abuse.

Make fast food 'a fun experience'...it's sad. 'Be a good boy and we'll all go to McDonalds'. Mommy's tired tonight so let's all go out to Burger King...is no different than 'mommy is too tired to watch you so here's a ball and go out and play in the traffic'.

I 've been through the doors of a fastfood place about once a year. I think there is nothing more disgusting than a mother holding up a french fry for their toddler to eat and then praising the little darling for swallowing the hunk of saturated fat.

Candy
2005-Apr-09, 08:03 PM
I 've been through the doors of a fastfood place about once a year. I haven't had fast food in 20 years. I just hate fast food restaurants. It wasn't because of the food, it was because of the service. :-?

fossilnut2
2005-Apr-09, 10:37 PM
I 've been through the doors of a fastfood place about once a year. I haven't had fast food in 20 years. I just hate fast food restaurants. It wasn't because of the food, it was because of the service. :-?

I don't go for a few reasons but main deterrent is hygeine (or lack of it) . That includes ALL restaurants from the Kool-Aid stand to the Five-Star.

mopc
2005-Apr-10, 05:40 AM
Brazilians are getting fatter too, due to the fast food invasion!!!! There are way more obese people in Brazil than malnourished.

fossilnut2
2005-Apr-10, 07:04 PM
Brazilians are getting fatter too, due to the fast food invasion!!!! There are way more obese people in Brazil than malnourished.

No way. We get Brazilian shows on television and EVERYONE looks like a model. Only beautiful people live in Brazil.

(Those Brazilian soap operas are SO BAD they are GOOD).

Amadeus
2005-Apr-11, 11:32 AM
The only fast food I ever eat is Donner Kebab and chips.
Not had a burger or fried chicken in a bout 10 years.

My weights ok and I walk about 5 miles a day.

Though after a nights drinking those Donners get tempting...
Tip to anyone thats not experienced a Donner, you have to eat it
within about 15 minutes otherwise the meat goes hard and the fat congeales.

Jpax2003
2005-Apr-11, 06:42 PM
The only fast food I ever eat is Donner Kebab and chips.
Not had a burger or fried chicken in a bout 10 years.

My weights ok and I walk about 5 miles a day.

Though after a nights drinking those Donners get tempting...
Tip to anyone thats not experienced a Donner, you have to eat it
within about 15 minutes otherwise the meat goes hard and the fat congeales.Hmmm, Is that in the UK? We don't have a Donner named food chain in the US that I know of. I doubt it would get much business after what happened with the Donner Party and all...

Lurker
2005-Apr-11, 10:39 PM
Now see... that's one of the very few advantages of my medication, it chemically turns of my desire for food so I can keep my pretty figure... :wink:

fossilnut2
2005-Apr-12, 01:30 AM
"I doubt it would get much business after what happened with the Donner Party.."

You have me rolling on the floor laughing:

'Can I take your order?'

'Sure, a slice of Billy over there and is there any Mary left?"