PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Stress

Candy
2005-Apr-09, 07:13 PM
When Stress Is Good for Your Health (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pub&dt=050409&cat=scitech&st=scitechstress_ flu_dyehard_050406&src=abc)

Here's one of those fly-in-your face scientific findings: Some forms of stress may actually be good for you.

For about a decade now scientists at Ohio State University have turned out one study after another showing how stress can suppress the human body's immune system, thus leaving us more vulnerable to viruses like the flu. So it's little wonder they were a bit astounded when they discovered recently that at least one form of stress actually enhances the immune response in mice, and quite likely, in humans.
I'm not completely convinced that "some" stress can be healthy. :-?

It seems when I've ever had stress, weird things happen to my body. Like the rash I recently had - doctor's couldn't identify it (they kept asking me if I had recently traveled outside of the USA). Or the Emergency Surgery I had two years ago (not divulging that information). I once had a "female issue" for a month. The doctor said he hadn't seen this particular "issue" in over 25 years.

I don't seem to get the flu or a cold, but my stress seems to target one weird area of my immune system. :o

Gullible Jones
2005-Apr-09, 08:09 PM
Stressful situations have done naught but ill for me.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-09, 08:12 PM
I define stress as "unpleasant tension"

and feeling bad never is good for one's health in my opinion. So in my world, there is no such thing as healthy stress. Stress defines that the tension has become unhealthy. Otherwise it's tension, no stress. And vice versa. :lol:

Humphrey
2005-Apr-09, 08:39 PM
i cant work unless im under stress. I just get too lazy and dont feel llike doing it. But when i do get under stress and work, i focus like there is no tomorrow.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-09, 09:11 PM
i cant work unless im under stress. I just get too lazy and dont feel llike doing it. But when i do get under stress and work, i focus like there is no tomorrow.

That's my problem with studying (as I explained in the obsolete high schools thread). In many cases, there is no tomorrow...(well, not to study at least)