PDA

View Full Version : Reading habits

R.A.F.
2005-Apr-09, 08:27 PM
I have the habit of reading 2 or 3 books at the same time...I don't know if that is unusual or not.

So I guess the question I have is, does anyone else do this too?

Humphrey
2005-Apr-09, 08:41 PM
I do tthis all the time. Not as much anymore because i dont have the time to read so many novels. But when i was younger, i did it alot.

Candy
2005-Apr-09, 08:53 PM
I'm usually doing research for classes or work, so reading multiple books at one time is the norm (cumbersome). I haven't read fiction in a very long time, though, which is probably what you are talking about. :-?

R.A.F.
2005-Apr-09, 09:04 PM
I haven't read fiction in a very long time, though, which is probably what you are talking about. :-?

It actually doesn't make any difference to me.
At the moment I'm about half-way through "Why people believe weird things, and have just started "UFO's Explained" by Philip Klass, and "Goldfinger" by Ian Fleming. And I'm also thinking of starting "Robot Visions" by Asimov. What I'm reading at any particular time depends "solely" on whim. :lol:

Disinfo Agent
2005-Apr-09, 09:29 PM
I didn't use to read more than one book at once (recreationally), but I've been doing it lately. The change from one book to another breaks the monotony.

Parrothead
2005-Apr-09, 09:33 PM
I usually have a couple of books on the go. Currently they are: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett (I figured its about time I read the book, I love the movie), Empire State by Henry Porter and Seeing in the Dark by Timothy Ferris.

Gullible Jones
2005-Apr-09, 11:19 PM
I usually don't read more than one work of fiction at a time, but compensate for that by reading at least 100 pages per day.

I do read multiple nonfiction books simultaneously though.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Apr-09, 11:27 PM
One book at a time. But I rip through them. I may even finish a book the same day that I start it.

collegeguy
2005-Apr-09, 11:33 PM
I read one book at a time. I've been doing it since Middle School. At the beginning it was only for fun, but now I also read to be a learned, educated person.(I finally matured I guess :D

collegeguy
2005-Apr-09, 11:36 PM
I'm usually doing research for classes or work, so reading multiple books at one time is the norm (cumbersome). I haven't read fiction in a very long time, though, which is probably what you are talking about. :-?

I hear you. During the last semester in college. I had to read three books. Now in the upcoming semester I will have two english classes (Western Literary Tradition and Modern literary Masterpieces) So I am expecting to read a whole lot. It will be better than the last semester for sure. I struggled with the english of Shakespeare #-o

tmosher
2005-Apr-10, 12:44 AM
SOP for me. I usually have at least two or three books going at the same time at home and one book at work.

Sometimes it helps me get through a book I'm not particularly impressed with - read one for a few chapters then switch to another. Back to the first book and so forth.

Brady Yoon
2005-Apr-10, 03:03 AM
I usually don't read more than one work of fiction at a time, but compensate for that by reading at least 100 pages per day.

I used to read at that level, but now it's more like 100 per week. :lol:

Captain Kidd
2005-Apr-10, 03:08 AM

I used to read at that level, but now it's more like 100 per week. :lol:
Ditto, amazing what a kid does to your free time. Well... a kid and the BABB... 8-[

mopc
2005-Apr-10, 05:30 AM
Can reading become a harmful addiction?

Candy
2005-Apr-10, 01:06 PM
Can reading become a harmful addiction?
My grandmother thinks so! :roll:

Gullible Jones
2005-Apr-10, 01:12 PM
Well, your grandmother is wrong. :o

Captain Kidd
2005-Apr-10, 01:15 PM
Back in middle/high schools I tended to read during class. Like a junkie needing a hit I needed to know what was going to happen next. Couldn't help it so, yeah I'll support the harmful addiction question.

Didn't help that my schools didn't challenge me, I'd pay no attention and still ace tests. Then I got to college... yikes.

Candy
2005-Apr-10, 01:25 PM
Back in middle/high schools I tended to read during class. Like a junkie needing a hit I needed to know what was going to happen next. Couldn't help it so, yeah I'll support the harmful addiction question.

Didn't help that my schools didn't challenge me, I'd pay no attention and still ace tests. Then I got to college... yikes.
Me, too. I fluncked out of college my first year at Purdue. I did a little better at Ball State, it took me 2 years to flunk out. I had to re-learn study skills, and now I have a 3.91/4.0 GPA. Of course, that will change after this evil VB.NET course. :evil: :evil:

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Apr-10, 06:12 PM
Right now, To Kill A Mockingbird because it was my daughter's 8th grade assignment, Sophie's Choice again, working slowly through Seven Years in Tibet, and A Confederacy of Dunces is taking forever. And a pile of technical books.

Candy
2005-Apr-11, 08:09 AM
OT: ATP, why would a professor teach us something that is not from the book?

I questioned my professor on his teaching method. I asked him why our assignments for reading are the Tutorials, yet, nothing he is teaching us is from the book.

Professor Yao said he was teaching us what he has learned over the last 20 years from experience.

I then said, your experience is not helping me with homework at 3AM when I'm trying to figure this stuff out. The book is certainly not helping, which I strongly believe it should. The helpdesk is not open at 3AM. I told him I work 3rd shift, so I'm sleeping while the rest of the world is awake. To me, the purpose of a $90 textbook should be a reference to learning.

Yao then said, that's why he hands out Module's each week.

I then pointed out that what he is teaching in class on a big screen is not even from his handout's. :-?

Yao then advised the class to take a ten minute break, and he left the room.

During break, other students started to voice these same concerns. :evil:

Me thinks Professor Yao doesn't like me any longer. 8-[

Fram
2005-Apr-11, 08:36 AM
Ype, three or four books simultaneously. Now: Stephen King 'Dark Tower 5 (wolves of the Calla)', Herbert and Anderson 'Dune: House Atreides', Robbedoes album 253, Terry Brooks 'Scions of Shannara', and Philip K. Dick 'Ubik'.

Sigma_Orionis
2005-Apr-11, 12:26 PM
Right now I'm reading two books: Tom Clancy's "Carrier" and a parody based on The Da-Vinci Code written by a Venezuelan called Laureano Marquez, this book is called "El Codigo Bo-Chinche" with can be roughly translated as the "The Me-ssy Code" :lol:

gethen
2005-Apr-11, 01:55 PM
Right now, To Kill A Mockingbird because it was my daughter's 8th grade assignment, Sophie's Choice again, working slowly through Seven Years in Tibet, and A Confederacy of Dunces is taking forever. And a pile of technical books.
(Bolding mine)
Reading it again? I was so depressed the first time I read it that I don't know if I'll ever do it again. Great book, but just too sad.

I usually have 2 or 3 books going at a time, because my mood determines what I feel like reading. Right now it's Pride and Prejudice for the umpteenth time and A Short History of Everything.

pumpkinpie
2005-Apr-11, 02:45 PM
I ususally have more than one book going. Right now I'm in the practice of doing something I'm not exactly proud of, but it works for now. I've been listening to a lot of books on CD. I've been in a talk radio mood for quite a while (as opposed to music.) There are quite a few stations and shows I like to listen to, but between commercials and not liking the current subject being discussed on NPR, that leaves a lot of empty time for me. So I've taken to using the books to fill in the gaps on my commute to work and other drives around town. I also prefer talk to music when I work out, so the books work great for that. (Ideally I would like to listen to a baseball game, but I can't always time my workouts to when they are on the radio.)

I feel like it's a little bit of a cop-out, but I have been able to listen to quite a few great books I wouldn't have picked up otherwise, and I still always have one (real) book going.

Right now I've got some non-fiction in the car: Essays by the novelist Jonathan Lethem; a book about a serial killer who only kills other serial killer in my walkman; and I'm reading Return of the King.

This is my first time through the LOTR books. My boyfriend is a huge fan and encouraged me to read them, so I could watch the movies with him. (I only saw the first one in the theater.) I picked up TTT on CD to help me get through it. But we popped the dvd in and watched it in bits and pieces. So at one time I was in the middle of reading, listening, and watching it! It got a little confusing, but not too bad. I'm pretty sure I read more than I listened to. Now I'm only a few chapters into ROTK.

JohnW
2005-Apr-11, 03:19 PM
I usually have two books on the go in the winter, especially if one of them is a big unwieldy hardback which I don't want to haul around on the bus. Just the one in summer - it's not easy to balance a book on my handlebars.

fossilnut2
2005-Apr-11, 03:42 PM
I live within walking distance of two librairies. I go into each at least once a week and bring home a dozen books (and DVD movies, etc.). I've always got a couple books on 'the go'.

Novels? All the time but I prefer short stories. Years ago as a student I rarely read a novel as I felt guilty about not reading something for a class. It was hard to enjoy fiction without a twinge of guilt.

Van Rijn
2005-Apr-12, 06:18 AM
Non Fiction: Multiple books at a time, a bit here, a bit there ...

Recreational Fiction: One book at a time. If I'm enjoying a novel, usually I finish it in a day. It has to be REALLY long or REALLY boring to take more than two days, and if boring I usually don't bother finishing it. I tend to avoid hardbacks (I just don't have the room for all that stuff) and I like ebooks. I just wish more companies had reasonable publishing rules - Baen is about the only one I'll buy from. I've purchased a couple dozen ebooks and read them on my Ipaq.

Enzp
2005-Apr-12, 06:43 AM
It all depends on which bathroom I choose. A book in each.

I don't have the reading time for novels any more. Once in a while. I will read several books at once though. They tend to be books like Phil's that you can read a chapter or two at a time without losing the overall value of the book over time.

I read technical books, and I like things from the skeptic shelves. I am about to start Burke's latest book. Other books in progress are concerning evolution, the literary sources of the Bible, and air photo interpretation.

I had to pare down the magazines I got monthly or more often. I still enjoy Natioal Geographic and Scientific AMerican, Science News. Plus a whole pile of industry journals and work related stuff. They take time too.

magimix
2005-Apr-12, 03:12 PM
I sometimes have multiple books on the go, though I'm not as 'bad' with that as I used to be.

Two reading quirks come to mind, one of which I stopped doing a while back.

I do much of my reading in order to relax before I go to sleep. That is, I'll read in bed for a while, and chill out for a bit before turning the light off. This seems to 8really* skew my reading material. Because if I read something really new and thought-provoking, after lights-out I'll be lying there pondering what I read as opposed to getting to sleep.

Therefore, when reading in bed, I tend to read stuff I've read before. Most recently this has been a recent Sci-Am special called, 'The secret lives of stars', and 'The discovery of Cosmic Fractals'. Both of which have been sufficiently well-read that they are falling to bits now.

The second habit... I used to have this thing that while I was reading something, I'd tear bits off the side of a page and just, well, chew and eat it. For my older books, the most read ones are those with most of the non-printed space torn away from each page.

Book-paper just has that special something I guess. That or my body was telling me I needed more roughage in my diet.

pumpkinpie
2005-Apr-12, 03:18 PM
The second habit... I used to have this thing that while I was reading something, I'd tear bits off the side of a page and just, well, chew and eat it. For my older books, the most read ones are those with most of the non-printed space torn away from each page.

Book-paper just has that special something I guess. That or my body was telling me I needed more roughage in my diet.

:lol: Thanks for sharing! I have to admit I tried eating paper in my childhood years more than once or twice. There's just this unique taste and texture to it! It does have to be tiny bits, though.

Welcome to the board, in case you haven't been welcomed yet!

magimix
2005-Apr-12, 03:30 PM
:lol: Thanks for sharing! I have to admit I tried eating paper in my childhood years more than once or twice. There's just this unique taste and texture to it! It does have to be tiny bits, though.

Welcome to the board, in case you haven't been welcomed yet!

Aloha, and thanks for the welcome. I've actually been lurking here for ages and ages, and finally snapped earlier today.

As for the paper thing... I definitely used to do it when I was a kid. My comics and things never lasted long :) Even as an adult, I find myself sometimes chewing on strips of paper torn from my A4 scratch-pad.

I so badly have no idea where this habit comes from, or why it started. Just one of those things I guess.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Apr-12, 04:55 PM
Raising 2 kids has cut me down to about a book a month.

I do read 2 or 3 at a time. Sometimes I'll put a book down for several months. Very little fiction; mostly social commentary, essays, science, etc.

Though my last completion was On the Road by Kerouac. HST's death put me in the mood for it.

Russ
2005-Apr-12, 06:50 PM
I usually have two books on the go in the winter, especially if one of them is a big unwieldy hardback which I don't want to haul around on the bus. Just the one in summer - it's not easy to balance a book on my handlebars.
emphasis mine

You can't fool us. There's no summer in Seatle! ;) :lol:

jaeger
2005-Apr-13, 01:40 AM
Yep - usually three at a time. Always have a non-fiction history/current affairs book, usually some sort sort of science fiction/fantasy, and some technical or managerial "better one's self" book going all at once. Of course, reading BABB every night is almost like having fifty books in progress with the diversity of topics.

rleyland
2005-Apr-13, 05:56 PM
Non Fiction: Multiple books at a time, a bit here, a bit there ...

Recreational Fiction: One book at a time. ...

I'm with Van Rijn here, one novel at a time, but multiple non-fiction books.

R