PDA

View Full Version : Space Ghost!

Sarcastronaught
2002-Jul-22, 02:23 AM
Hanna-Barbera's "Space Ghost" is the best comic Bad Astronomy ever.

Space Ghost and his sidekicks visited Jupiter and guess what? It was a terrestrial planet with an atmosphere just like Earth's! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif However, they were attacked by a Lava-monster, so they had to freeze it with the Freeze-ray, one of Space Ghost's "Force-Energy Powers". (Because everybody knows that the creatures on Jupiter can't fight freezing temperatures.)

Any other hilariously bad Space Ghost adventures spring to mind? (Or Transformers, they were into some pretty Bad Astronomy too!)

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jul-22, 03:31 AM
Too easy. We could start with Edgar Rice Burroughs.

But welcome to the BA board.

Wiley
2002-Jul-22, 04:28 PM
On 2002-07-21 23:31, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
Too easy. We could start with Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Oddly enough when I was at the emergency room last week, one of the medicos was named John Carter. I kept expecting nurse Dejah to walk in. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

And welcome to the BABB, Sarcastronaught.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiley on 2002-07-22 12:29 ]</font>

David Hall
2002-Jul-22, 06:30 PM
Most of the Hanna-Barbara stuff from the 60's and 70's is pretty bad. Bad writing, bad animation, and just generally poor quality. But since I grew up on those cartoons, I have a kind of sentimental attachment to them.

The one that really sticks out in my mind was an episode of SuperFriends where the bad guys went around stealing quarks out of everything. Considering quarks are the basic units of matter it would really mean you were disintegrating everything at a subatomic level, but in the show they were just little black spots that they could suck out of objects.

On another note, I just got my hand on an old Futurama episode. They had to deliver letters to the evil Santa robot, who lived(?) on the north pole of Neptune. They showed neptune complete with an ice cap and a breathable atmosphere. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif (Yes yes, I know Futurama isn't the kind of show you can expect good astronomy from. I'm just giving an observation here.)

g99
2002-Jul-22, 08:42 PM
How about all of the Bugs and Daffy cortoons where they would go into space without suits or antything?

"Here comes Duck Dodgers of the 21st and a Half Century!!!!!" (hmmm...Only 48 years away!!)

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Jul-22, 11:40 PM
On 2002-07-22 12:28, Wiley wrote:
Oddly enough when I was at the emergency room last week, one of the medicos was named John Carter. I kept expecting nurse Dejah to walk in. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I'm a long-time Burroughs afficianado, so when I noticed a waitress's name badge at a local restaurant read, 'Dejah' I just had to ask her, "Dejah Thoris?" Her parents had indeed named her for ERB's Martian princess, and I was the first person she had ever met (in, I would guess, no more than 18-20 years) to recognise the name and where it came from. She was absolutely thrilled.

The (cute enough to be a princess, too, but her skin was too pale by far) Curtmudgeon

Edited to add: Walt Disney has finally lost the rights to film <u>A Princess of Mars</u>; Paramount has optioned all 11 books in the series, and is looking into what it will take to do a "faithful" film adaptation.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Curtmudgeon on 2002-07-22 19:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Curtmudgeon on 2002-07-22 19:48 ]</font>

Kaptain K
2002-Jul-23, 11:21 AM
"Here comes Duck Dodgers of the 21st and a Half Century!!!!!" (hmmm...Only 48 years away!!)
Make that "Here comes Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a Half Century!!!!!" (hmmm...Only 348 years away!!

Kaptain (nitpickin') K

g99
2002-Jul-23, 08:22 PM
On 2002-07-23 07:21, Kaptain K wrote:

Make that "Here comes Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a Half Century!!!!!" (hmmm...Only 348 years away!!

Kaptain (nitpickin') K

Thanks...I was close. I need to stop exercising and watch more TV. This esercizing is too good for my health. I need more cartoons!!

How about the jetsons? Would they not die of suffocation that high in the atmosphere? And what if they fell? Mand that would suck:

Judy: umm mom elroy fell out of the car...
Jane: Damn, there goes another one. Why do we have to live so high? (why do they live so high anyways? Is the ground too poluted? Or is it because it allows them easier access to space?

Silas
2002-Jul-23, 08:49 PM
On 2002-07-23 16:22, g99 wrote:
How about the jetsons? Would they not die of suffocation that high in the atmosphere? And what if they fell? Mand that would suck:

How high are they, anyway? And do those nifty apartment building stalks have a "root" or not?

And, besides, if someone fell, a big robotic hand would reach out from somewhere and catch them. Except for George.

Sila (How do you stop this crazy thing!)

Sarcastronaught
2002-Jul-24, 09:28 AM
The Jetsons was originally meant to be shocking and make people go "Whoah, is THAT what the future will be like?" Don'tcha just love those old movies/comics that make outrageous predictions of the Year Two Thousand... (So where's my flying car then, Mr Spielberg?)

Maybe the BA in Futurama can be accounted for by the possibility that they've set up "Gravity-O-decrease" and "Atmosphere-O-breathe" machines... or maybe just "Plot-hole repair" kits.

(Thanks for the greetings! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

David Hall
2002-Jul-24, 10:39 AM
I think the idea in the Jetsons was that in order to avoid smog and bad weather, they build all of their buildings on stilts way up in the air. And if some big smog-bank should just happen along, they can raise themselves higher in order to avoid it.

A lot of the Jetsons was just a sarcastic look at modern day life. Like getting all worn out from those exhausting 2 hour work weeks, or getting stressed out from the difficulty of making breakfast by pushing a button. An exaggerated view of things we were worried about in the 70's.

I remember one Jetsons episode where they had a boy-scout excursion to the moon. apart from a simple fish-bowl helmet, they had no other protection. And I think they actually built a fire on the Moon. BA all around. But it was fun in any case, as you knew it wasn't even supposed to come close to reality.

WedWay
2002-Jul-30, 05:21 PM
On 2002-07-24 06:39, David Hall wrote:
I think the idea in the Jetsons was that in order to avoid smog and bad weather, they build all of their buildings on stilts way up in the air. And if some big smog-bank should just happen along, they can raise themselves higher in order to avoid it.

A lot of the Jetsons was just a sarcastic look at modern day life. Like getting all worn out from those exhausting 2 hour work weeks, or getting stressed out from the difficulty of making breakfast by pushing a button. An exaggerated view of things we were worried about in the 70's.

I remember one Jetsons episode where they had a boy-scout excursion to the moon. apart from a simple fish-bowl helmet, they had no other protection. And I think they actually built a fire on the Moon. BA all around. But it was fun in any case, as you knew it wasn't even supposed to come close to reality.

Actually, George was the one who was trying to make a fire, and one of the scouts with him told him that the reason he couldn't get a fire started was the lack of air!

Boy do I watch too much TV or what?

David Hall
2002-Aug-03, 06:09 PM
I turned on the Cartoon Network today and caught that very same Space Ghost episode as mentioned in the OP. And yes, it does have some of the worst BA imaginable.

One of the ghost kids gets knocked out of the sky by a lava man as he checks out "crater area 13 on Jupiter". I suppose you could say it was actually Io he was actually talking about (nice and volcanic), but they never said anything like that. They clearly said Jupiter several times.

<font size="-1">PLEASE NOTE: Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the consumer is not directly observing this product, it may cease to exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.</font>

<font size="-1"<(changed the wording a bit.</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Hall on 2002-08-03 14:12 ]</font>

nebularain
2002-Aug-04, 01:56 AM
::Smacks palm on forehead::

No wonder I never knew until later in life that the outer planets were gas giants! I was brainwashed as a kid!!