PDA

View Full Version : Are you an office grazer?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Apr-12, 11:35 AM
By that I mean; someone who snacks alot through out the day at work? Lots of left over food from meetings, etc?

cyswxman
2005-Apr-12, 11:40 AM
I tend to snack a lot through the night!!! :o :o

farmerjumperdon
2005-Apr-12, 11:59 AM
I can smell a get together with snacks 3 buildings away.

There is a small network of confidants that alert each other of grazing opportunities.

Maksutov
2005-Apr-12, 12:08 PM
This thread is a good example of why I always have closed-door meetings and ask the receptionist to clean up immediately after. :D

farmerjumperdon
2005-Apr-12, 12:32 PM
We actually had some dieters make a stink about open air buffets of snacks. They said it was like putting a drink in front of an alcoholic.

tlbs101
2005-Apr-12, 03:03 PM
I'm like farmerjumperdon. If there is a customer meeting for another project, I will purposely wait until 1:00 PM to eat their leftovers. If there is still some left by the end of the day (other than things likely to spoil in 4 hours), I'll even take some home.

Free food (especially catered free food) is always a treat.

ToSeek
2005-Apr-12, 03:16 PM
I've worked with a few women whose desks were a virtual pantry - if you were hungry, you could always get something to nibble on from them.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Apr-12, 03:47 PM
Certainly - I've got a mental roadmap of all the candy and snack dishes in my building; and I know where the best ones are in the other buildings. Most of them are at women's desks. I think it is their motherly and nurturing side coming through.

The core hours for us are 8 to 4:30, with early birds like me beginning to depart about 3:00. So I often invoke the 2 o'clock rule. Anything, anywhere is free game after 2 PM.

It's a good guideline, as anything with mayo should still be OK at that hour.

Candy
2005-Apr-12, 04:11 PM
I've worked with a few women whose desks were a virtual pantry - if you were hungry, you could always get something to nibble on from them.
I used to keep the candy jar full of bite size chocolate bars. After a while, the jar would empty faster than I could keep it supplied. I got the point where I was spending $100 a month or more.

One day, I let it stay empty. I soon noticed a note that read: I want candy. I want candy.

So I photocopied a bunch of my ID photo's. I cut and taped them inside the glass jar (facing outward). I then attached a note that read: A jar full of assorted candies. :P

farmerjumperdon
2005-Apr-12, 04:35 PM
Funding is definitely an issue. I have to admit I never thought about it, then our department admin mentioned something casually as a group of us were hanging around. Could have been a subtle hint?

Anyway, I now contribute to those that I frequent, and definitely more than I consume.

Candy
2005-Apr-12, 05:03 PM
Funding is definitely an issue. I have to admit I never thought about it, then our department admin mentioned something casually as a group of us were hanging around. Could have been a subtle hint?

Anyway, I now contribute to those that I frequent, and definitely more than I consume.
Sweetie, I didn't mean to make you feel guilty. I thought it was a funny story. :oops:

pumpkinpie
2005-Apr-12, 06:26 PM
We have an office full of sweet-tooths, especially for chocolate. I always love it when the purple tin or the "M&M's sitting on a couch watching a 3D movie" m&m's dispenser appears on the conference table, because that means someone's stocked up! Although I don't like it when people mix York Peppermint Patties with other chocolates in the tin. I like Yorks, but being enclosed with them gives all the other chocolates a minty taste.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Apr-12, 07:31 PM
It's a good guideline, as anything with mayo should still be OK at that hour.
Modern mayo is indestructible now, doncha know? You can snack till five

OK, ham, I dunno

frogesque
2005-Apr-12, 07:55 PM

Just a little more information than required :lol:

Since working for myself I find I don't snack or nibble much during the day (maybe a choc bar if I have to stop for petrol on my way) and rarely take lunch, despite working a lot of the time out doors in all weathers, whereas when I worked in an office it was any excuse for a sweetie, sticky bun, or biscuit.

fossilnut2
2005-Apr-12, 11:25 PM
I'm not a fan of candy, sweet things or pop. I prefer a plain bun or piece of bread to a doughnut or cookie. I'll graze off a fruit or veggie platter. And if there's wine...I'll make sure none goes to waste.

Speaking of pop. Do you use the word 'soda' where you live? What does a kid ask for: Hey mom, can I have a (pop/soda)?

farmerjumperdon
2005-Apr-12, 11:29 PM
No guilt Candy, I'm a little absent-minded in that respect, so I don't mind subtle hints, or being outright called on something. It's cool. I tend to take people and what they say at exactly face value. Once people get to know me they realize they need to come right out and say stuff. Goes without saying that I'm not all that subtle myself.

If I have something to say - I just say it, and . . . "If I want to send a message, I'll use Western Union." - Sam Goldwyn.

Or something like that.[/quote]

Candy
2005-Apr-13, 01:38 AM
I'm not a fan of candy, sweet things or pop. I prefer a plain bun or piece of bread to a doughnut or cookie. I'll graze off a fruit or veggie platter. And if there's wine...I'll make sure none goes to waste.

Speaking of pop. Do you use the word 'soda' where you live? What does a kid ask for: Hey mom, can I have a (pop/soda)?
I work with a people from all over the world, so I find it best to say soda pop. :D