PDA

View Full Version : Coca-Cola®

sarongsong
2005-Apr-13, 09:55 PM
Crazy Things To Do With... (http://members.tripod.com/Barefoot_Lass/cola.html) :o

Nicolas
2005-Apr-13, 10:04 PM
About the hiccup cure: Me and my set of arms have found a cure that always works for us. Just a very, vey long kiss. you adapt your breathing in such a way that the hiccup's gone. Now ain't that cool 8) :wink:.

collegeguy
2005-Apr-14, 12:45 AM
Pretty informative link =D>. I didn't know much about the origins of Coca-Cola. Cocaine!

Candy
2005-Apr-14, 01:59 AM
About the hiccup cure: Me and my set of arms have found a cure that always works for us. Just a very, vey long kiss. you adapt your breathing in such a way that the hiccup's gone. Now ain't that cool 8) :wink:.
Sounds French to me! :P

Maksutov
2005-Apr-14, 03:33 AM
Sounds French to me! :P
Are you speaking in tongues? :wink:

sarongsong
2005-Apr-14, 04:35 AM
Ah...avoir le hoquet en Paris...

Nicolas
2005-Apr-14, 09:02 AM
Il y a un discussion "jeu de mots" séparatement...

Argos
2005-Apr-14, 12:28 PM
I´ve known people who wanted to get a tan with coke and ended up severely burnt. Not sure if Coke really played a role though. I suspect the real culprit was the tropical sun.

Swift
2005-Apr-14, 12:35 PM
The weirdest thing, I understand you can actually drink the stuff too! :o

:wink:

Candy
2005-Apr-14, 12:49 PM
I´ve known people who wanted to get a tan with coke and ended up severely burnt. Not sure if Coke really played a role though. I suspect the real culprit was the tropical sun.
That and some Rum. :P

pghnative
2005-Apr-14, 01:04 PM
The "bite the wax tadpole" thing is debunked on Snopes (too laxy to link). Haven't read the whole page, but I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-14, 01:30 PM
It works fine to remove dirt, oil, and rust from things like guitar machine heads however

Sammy
2005-Apr-14, 02:31 PM
Most of the linked page sounds like ** to me.

RE cleaning stuff, Coke is in way unique. All carbonated soft drinks are mildly acidic (phosphoric acid) and all will act as mild cleaning agents.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-14, 02:33 PM
That's true. I never claimed it was unique in that behaviour, just that it worked well.

btw you missed a "no" I think :).

Sinanju
2005-Apr-14, 05:25 PM
I use it to "age" clay for pottery.

Russ
2005-Apr-15, 03:56 AM
One summer during college I was an outboard motor mechanic. We used Coke to disolve rust. It would disolve nuts and bolts that were nothing but rust. :o :o

Candy
2005-Apr-15, 12:11 PM
One summer during college I was an outboard motor mechanic. We used Coke to disolve rust. It would disolve nuts and bolts that were nothing but rust. :o :o
Did it hurt? :wink:

Maksutov
2005-Apr-15, 12:39 PM
When I was in fifth grade, there was a petition by some of the students to get a Coca-Cola machine installed in the school. One of the opponents to the petition had had a tooth pulled. She suspended the tooth on a string in a clear glass filled with Coca-Cola and placed it on display in the foyer. Inside of a week the tooth was gone, and so was the petition for the Coke machine.

Waarthog
2005-Apr-15, 04:52 PM
One of the opponents to the petition had had a tooth pulled.

She pulled a fast one on you. (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp)

Key word here being opponent.

Russ
2005-Apr-15, 06:13 PM
Did it hurt? :wink:

Only when we drank it instead using it as a penatrant. ;)

Maksutov
2005-Apr-16, 01:37 AM
One of the opponents to the petition had had a tooth pulled.

She pulled a fast one on you. (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp)

Key word here being opponent.
I wrote "inside of a week", not overnight.

Sammy
2005-Apr-16, 05:42 AM
When I was in fifth grade, there was a petition by some of the students to get a Coca-Cola machine installed in the school. One of the opponents to the petition had had a tooth pulled. She suspended the tooth on a string in a clear glass filled with Coca-Cola and placed it on display in the foyer. Inside of a week the tooth was gone, and so was the petition for the Coke machine.

The dissolving tooth" bit is meaningless RE health effects. From Urban legends at
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

Coca-Cola will not dissolve a tooth (or a nail, or a penny, or a piece of meat) overnight.

Coca-Cola contains acids (such as citric acid and phosphoric acid) which will eventually dissolve items such as teeth (given enough time), but so do plenty of other substances we commonly ingest (such as orange juice). The concentration of acid in these products is so low that our digestive systems are easily capable of coping with it with no harm to us.

The idea that any substance which can dissolve teeth must therefore damage our teeth if we drink it is nonsensical. We don't hold drinks in our mouths for days at a time — any liquids we drink simply wash over our teeth very briefly, and our teeth are further protected by their enamel coating and the ameliorating effects of saliva.

Vince Staten describes the legendary version of this tale:

Perhaps you've heard the story. It goes something like this: At Harvard they left a fly in a Coke overnight and the next morning, the fly had been completely dissolved. The name of the university changes and so does the item to be soaked overnight, but the result is always the same: Coke eats it. The lesson is that if it does that to a fly, just think of what it does to your stomach.

To test this theory I swatted two flies: a test fly and a control fly. I put the test fly in a cup of Coke and let it soak for twenty-four hours. I put the control fly in a cup of Roto-Rooter drain cleaner and let it soak an equal length of time.

When I returned to the Coke fly the next day, I discovered, to my surprise, the fly floating around, unscathed. The Roto-Rooter fly, on the other hand, was dissolved down to a couple of tiny fly bits. The Roto-Rooter had also eaten through the bottom of the plastic cup.
Frederick Allen discusses the origins of this rumor in his book on Coca-Cola:

In the fall of 1950, a Cornell University professor named Clive M. McCay testified before a select committee in the U.S. House of Representatives that the sugar in Coke caused cavities. And, he said, the phosphoric acid was a dangerous additive. Giving a vivid account that instantly became part of the national folklore, Dr. McCay described how a tooth left in a glass of Coca-Cola would soften and begin to dissolve in a period of two days.

Coca-Cola's top chemist, Orville May, explained to Hobbs [then president of Coca-Cola] and the company's other executives that anything containing sugar and phosphoric acid — fresh orange juice, for example — would dissolve teeth over a period of time. The point was people did not hold food and beverages in their mouths for days on end. They swallowed, and their saliva washed away the sugar and acid before lasting damage was done. Otherwise the whole country would be toothless.

Mark Pendergrast tackles the same subject:

McCay made headlines with his allegations that Coke would eat away the marble steps of the Capitol Building and soften teeth placed in a glass of the beverage. "The molar teeth of rats were dissolved down to the gum line," McCay told the politicians, when "given nothing to drink except cola beverages for a period of six months."

In response, Coca-Cola's head chemist, Orville May, testified that McCay offered a "distorted picture" intended to frighten unsuspecting consumers. May pointed out that the .055 percent level of phosphoric acid was far below the 1.09 percent acid content of an orange and that McCay's studies ignored the neutralizing effect of saliva. Finally, he noted that orange juice or lemonade would also dissolve ten-penny nails and eat holes in the Capitol steps.

We have to agree with Vince Staten's conclusion:

I think there are two lessons here: Don't believe all those Coke stories you hear. And don't, for any reason, let a fly drink Roto-Rooter.

Maksutov
2005-Apr-16, 11:51 AM
The dissolving tooth" bit is meaningless RE health effects. From Urban legends at
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

Coca-Cola [edit]Roto-Rooter.
I, and the other BABB members here, can read links as well as you. (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=455093&#455093)

Once again, I wrote inside of a week, not "overnight" or "two days".

[edit/remove long quote]

Waarthog
2005-Apr-16, 03:21 PM
I wrote inside of a week, not "overnight" or "two days".
She still pulled a fast one.
For the simple fact of:
We don't hold drinks in our mouths for days at a time

Her "experiment" was exactly the kind of bad science that needs to be fought. I will admit there are multilpe reasons why people would not want a Coke vending machine but it seems the tooth issue is what killed the idea. This was another demonstration of fear tactics using situations that would never happen in any kind of realistic circumstance. That your fellow students bought into is rather dissapointing. Would there have been the same kind of resistance to an orange juice dispenser?

Sammy
2005-Apr-16, 03:47 PM
Maksutov wrote

I, and the other BABB members here, can read links as well as you.

Sorry, I didn't spot the link when I scanned thru the thread. As long as we're correcting mistakes, I suggest that you don't intentionally repost lengthy quotes when it serves no purpose.

sarongsong
2005-Apr-16, 04:47 PM
Interesting conversation with the local (San Diego) Coke bottler re a Web rumor that they still use coca leaves, but only as a flavoring agent. Was referred to a national 'special department' that handles such inquiries where I was told that the question was unanswerable, due to the proprietary nature of their formula. When she asked whether I had any other concerns, I commented that some San Diegans cross the border to buy Coca-Cola in Mexico because the real sugar used as the sweetener there significantly enhances the product's taste. She said some U.S. bottlers can provide a kosher version with sugar and to inquire locally for its availability.

Sammy
2005-Apr-16, 07:14 PM
"Normal" Coke has, for some time, contained corn sweetner instead of cane sugar (it's cheaper). Coke devotees calim that the taste and "mouth feel" is different and "not the real thing..."

Observant Jews will not consume corn-sweetened Coke during the week-long Passover Holiday because corn is not Kosher for Passover (during the holiday, certain food products must be avoided).

The Coca Cola company produces limited runs of soda with cane sugar for the Passover Holiday (which starts April 24). The bottles are specially labeled as "Kosher for Passover." Cokeaholic friends of mine stock up as soon as it appears in the markets!

Waarthog
2005-Apr-16, 08:11 PM
because the real sugar used as the sweetener there significantly enhances the product's taste.
There is a store near phoenix that sells the stuff. All kinds of pop to be had. The cane sugar Dr. Pepper is wonderful stuff.

link (http://store.yahoo.com/soda-pop/cocacola.html)

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Apr-16, 09:57 PM
Sorry, I didn't spot the link when I scanned thru the thread. As long as we're correcting mistakes, I suggest that you don't intentionally repost lengthy quotes when it serves no purpose.
Or post, for that matter :)

Maksutov
2005-Apr-16, 10:54 PM
Apply that "advice" to your own posts why don't you? That would push "kilopi" off into the distant future. :D

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Apr-18, 07:24 AM
Apply that "advice" to your own posts why don't you? That would push "kilopi" off into the distant future.
I do. I seldom post lengthy quotes, even when it might serve a purpose.

sarongsong
2006-Aug-28, 07:21 AM
August 25, 2006
Coca-Cola Co. was sued Friday as part of an effort to force soft drink makers to eliminate ingredients in their products that can form cancer-causing benzene... San Francisco Chronicle (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/08/25/national/w083524D34.DTL&hw=benzene&sn=001&sc=1000)Oops!

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Aug-28, 11:59 PM
The thing about benzene it is back bone for most complex organic compounds so medications , other foods and substances should be held to this strandard.

Frantic Freddie
2006-Aug-29, 03:03 AM
An earlier poster mentioned he'd used it to get the rust off of bolts,I've done the same thing,soak a rag with it & wrap the rag around the bolt,wait a coula hours & it just popped right off.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Aug-29, 12:50 PM
I know that trick, it really works.

BTW. it also works it you use plain water:)

Trebuchet
2006-Aug-29, 07:04 PM
There was a rather amazing segment on Mythbusters a couple of weeks ago involving Diet Coke and Mentos candy. Just drop a few candies into a 2-liter bottle and presto, a huge geyser.

sarongsong
2006-Aug-29, 07:28 PM
Followed by an astounding episode where they put about 3" of dry ice in the bottom of an empty 2-litre plastic soda bottle, filled the remainder with water, screwed the cap on tight and backed FAR away immediately...KABLOOEY! The slo-motion replay showed the bottle shattering into a gazillion tiny pieces.

HenrikOlsen
2006-Aug-30, 07:37 AM
There was a rather amazing segment on Mythbusters a couple of weeks ago involving Diet Coke and Mentos candy. Just drop a few candies into a 2-liter bottle and presto, a huge geyser.

For really amazing, watch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qw7ByxX0X8) what can be done by two people with too much planning time, 101 two liters bottles of diet coke and 523 Mentos. :)

sarongsong
2006-Oct-17, 01:02 AM
You just knew it was coming:
October 3, 2006
...This year, one of the [Texas State Fair's] top new creations is Fried Coke. Yes, one fair concessionaire found a way to deep-fry the 120-year-old soft drink favorite. "Why fry Coke? Why not fry Coke?" asked creator Abel Gonzales, a computer analyst most of the year...
WFAA (http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa061003_wz_friedcoke.110192f.html)

Dragon Star
2006-Oct-17, 01:05 AM
:eh:

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Oct-17, 02:14 AM
at my worst with my coca cola addiction I would not even think of it:eek:

Gillianren
2006-Oct-17, 03:25 AM
That isn't really fried Coke. It's funnel cakes with Coke syrup.

The Backroad Astronomer
2006-Oct-17, 05:45 AM
yeah but it is up there with the fried mars bar.

sarongsong
2006-Oct-17, 08:48 AM
...and, besides, Fried Flour just doesn't have same cachet...
In this video, Pass the fried Coke (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/), the batter is piped directly into the fryer in a continuous stream through about a half-inch opening. The end-result, after retrieving the long thin strands and cutting to length, is what looks like a super-sized order of french fries.

Damien Evans
2006-Oct-17, 09:36 AM
honestly, what would the attraction be? to fried coke that is

Gillianren
2006-Oct-17, 09:48 AM
...and, besides, Fried Flour just doesn't have same cachet...
In this video, Pass the fried Coke (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/), the batter is piped directly into the fryer in a continuous stream through about a half-inch opening. The end-result, after retrieving the long thin strands and cutting to length, is what looks like a super-sized order of french fries.

So, like, churros covered in Coke syrup, then.

Jim
2006-Oct-17, 01:07 PM
One of the announcers for the UT-OU game mentioned fried Coke. He said he was going to try it, but wanted them to use caffeine free Diet Coke, so he could keep it healthy.

sarongsong
2009-Jul-22, 08:27 PM
"100 bottles of Coke on the wall..." http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif
July 22, 2009
...This summer, Coca-Cola is rolling out a new generation of drink dispensers that let customers use a touch screen to choose from more than 100 varieties instead of the usual six or so...are being test-marketed in San Diego and Atlanta...“We're essentially reinventing the dispensed beverage business.”...
San Diego Union-Tribune (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jul/22/futuristic-100-flavor-coke-dispenser-tested/?uniontrib)