PDA

View Full Version : Weird coincidence

papageno
2005-Apr-14, 11:58 AM
I was not sure whether to put this into the The unusual Phenomena that happened to you thread, because I simply consider it as a weird coincidence.

I acquired recently the Futurama box set, and yesterday I watched the fourth episode of the first season (Love's Labor Lost in Space), the one where Zap Brannigan and Nibbler are introduced.
At the end of the episode Zap Brannigan records an entry for his captain's log, and asks Kif what date it is.
Kif answers "April 13th", which was yesterday. :o

Nicolas
2005-Apr-14, 12:22 PM
What does the clip say today? 8-[ 8-[

:D :D

(in fact this wouldn't be totally impossible: if your DVD player keeps track of the date, and the DVD contains many scenes at that pont plus some software... :))

papageno
2005-Apr-14, 12:28 PM

(in fact this wouldn't be totally impossible: if your DVD player keeps track of the date, and the DVD contains many scenes at that pont plus some software... :))

This is actually an interesting idea. I will try it.

kucharek
2005-Apr-14, 12:33 PM
I was not sure whether to put this into the The unusual Phenomena that happened to you thread, because I simply consider it as a weird coincidence.

I acquired recently the Futurama box set, and yesterday I watched the fourth episode of the first season (Love's Labor Lost in Space), the one where Zap Brannigan and Nibbler are introduced.
At the end of the episode Zap Brannigan records an entry for his captain's log, and asks Kif what date it is.

Well, the chances for something like this happening are 1:365, which is far from impossible...

crosscountry
2005-Apr-14, 12:42 PM

Well, the chances for something like this happening are 1:365, which is far from impossible...

i'd rather be the first to see a supernova :D

Candy
2005-Apr-14, 12:51 PM
:lol:

pghnative
2005-Apr-14, 01:06 PM
[mindless nitpick]Closer to 1:365.25[/mindless nitpick]

kucharek
2005-Apr-14, 01:13 PM
[brainless nitpick]This year it's 1:365. Last year it would have been 1:366.[/brainless nitpick]

pghnative
2005-Apr-14, 03:14 PM
[brainless nitpick]This year it's 1:365. Last year it would have been 1:366.[/brainless nitpick]
[inane nitpick]But there is a 1:1461 chance (??) that the script would have called for "February 29th". :D [/inane nitpick]

Nicolas
2005-Apr-14, 03:17 PM
SHould I start a nitpick thread? 8-[

Moose
2005-Apr-14, 03:23 PM
SHould I start a nitpick thread? 8-[

You can try. Threads don't contain nitpicks any better than they contain puns, I'm afraid.

Sooner contain the tides.

fossilnut2
2005-Apr-14, 05:13 PM
I find it more bizarre that someone would sit down and watch Futurama on tape when you could watch a much more scientific oriented cartoon like the Jetsons, George ...Jane (?) his wife, daughter Judy, and their son ...(?).

Hey, George has the same first name as the President...that's bizzare! what's the odds of that? There must a a thousand names.

Sam5
2005-Apr-14, 06:01 PM

Hey, this is what I was talking about on the Pseudo thoughts about pseudo science thread.

Wow, what a coincidence.

magimix
2005-Apr-14, 06:59 PM

Hey, this is what I was talking about on the Pseudo thoughts about pseudo science thread.

Wow, what a coincidence.

You think *that* is amazing? Here I am watching Futurama season 1, and all of a sudden I browse to *this thread*, where an episode from Futurama Season 1 is named! :o

(The impact would have been better if I could have claimed I was watching the aformentioned episode at the time. Alas, I was well into Disc 2 when I saw this thread ) :D

fossilnut2
2005-Apr-14, 09:29 PM
All laughing aside:

It's all a good lesson how it's easy to think there's a connection when there isn't one. If you got some wierd reaction in a lab was it because of 'x'? You did it again and got 'x'? does it mean it will happen a third time? That's why replication and peer review is so important. Coincidence happens...HAS to happen.

Some coincidence or single event happens and all the whackos pop up. No great mystery that we'd see the Virgin Mary's face in every 4th million grilled cheese sandwich.

papageno
2005-Apr-15, 10:41 AM

It still says "April 13th" (even in the subtitles).

Maksutov
2005-Apr-15, 10:48 AM

It still says "April 13th" (even in the subtitles).
Well, I predict that in little less than a year from now, if you're watching the same episode, you'll have another weird coincidence. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/konfus/a030.gif

Sam5
2005-Apr-15, 02:37 PM
Well, I predict that in little less than a year from now, if you're watching the same episode, you'll have another weird coincidence. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/konfus/a030.gif

It’s weird how this coincidence keeps happening year after year!