*choose any of tens of other styles not mentioned*
* [continues here] *
* [continues here] *
* [continues here] *
* [continues here] *
* [continues here] *
* [continues here] *
*lots of music that can't be put into one style*
It's not my blame, the poll only let me to put 5 options. I had a list of 10 options, but there was a message saying that I had to cut the number of options

Nicolas
2005-Apr-19, 06:54 PM
In that case there is no answer that fits me.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Apr-19, 06:57 PM
Classical for me, mostly.

Musashi
2005-Apr-19, 06:58 PM
Blues.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-19, 07:01 PM
What do you define as "techno"? Many people call any electronic music "techno" while overhere only a certain style is "Techno". Other electronic music styles are called "Dance", "Trance", "Drum&Bass" (not the original drum&bass), "hardcore" (not the rock hardcore),etcetc.

Why are pop and rock combined? They're totally different.

jfribrg
2005-Apr-19, 07:03 PM
I voted classical, not that I listen to much of any music. I also like some soft rock.

iron4
2005-Apr-19, 07:07 PM
Well, techno is the knid of music made by groups such Kraftwerk or Orbital, that is, a great abundance of synthetic sounds.
I have put pop and rock together because they share somo common features, anyway I wanted to represent the major number of people in the only 5 options available! If I put them separate I should had to eliminate rap or techno

Nicolas
2005-Apr-19, 07:10 PM
I listen to "any" music, as long as I like the particular piece of music.

(by the way OMD too makes music with a great abundance of synthetic sounds, and it ain't techno by far :) I think I know what you meant though. Overhere, we call the older techno "electronic" or "new wave" or even other styles, while newer techno is now labeled "techno". Orbital is hard to put into a category for me. They've made so many different kinds of music.)

Andromeda321
2005-Apr-19, 07:22 PM
I do a mix of rock and classical. The classical sneaks in thanks to all those years of violin, and the rock I don't need to explain methinks. 8)

Normandy6644
2005-Apr-19, 08:40 PM
I generally listen to rock, but I love classical, celtic, some crazy techno stuff, and others. It mostly depends on the song or artist I suppose.

teddyv
2005-Apr-19, 09:00 PM
Yeah, hard to pigeon-hole my tastes although I primarily listen to rock music, but that includes soft to death metal. The only music I actively avoid is country.

Cougar
2005-Apr-19, 09:19 PM
What, no Gregorian chant? Bluegrass? Dixieland? Heck, there are at least a half dozen categories just within the more general JAZZ category, which - I know - is not very popular these days. I like some of the oldies and don't like other of the oldies. I play (http://www.soundclick.com/donchambers) instrumental blues, kind-of-smooth-jazz-fusion, world-ish music....

Categorizing music is definitely a weird thing.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-19, 09:36 PM
Cougar: you know how to play your instruments. =D>
It's hard for me to judge the music itself, as this totally isn't my style. This means I'm not really into the style, and I don't really like this style of music.
So others will have to judge the quality of your music. But I probably would enjoy it on some late nights in the city with the correct company :wink: "Island Dance" sounded nice. But again, it's hard for me as this is not my type of music, and I'm totally not into it.

Swift
2005-Apr-19, 09:46 PM
I picked pop/rock (as opposed to Pop Rocks (http://www.poprockscandy.com/) :D ), but I also like folk, classical, a little techno, jazz, "world music", blues, bluegrass, and I'll try just about anything once.

Cougar
2005-Apr-19, 10:56 PM
Thanks!

...this totally isn't my style.... I don't really like this style of music.... this is not my type of music, and I'm totally not into it.
http://www.xmission.com/~dcc/PunkSmashAmp.gif
Maybe I'll have to upload a song I did years ago - Chaotician's Nightmare - that might be more to your liking. 8)
Thanks for listening though!

paulie jay
2005-Apr-20, 02:33 AM
I can't choose because as a working musician I love all good music irrespective of style.

Morrolan
2005-Apr-20, 02:44 AM
metal... currently...

could be blues next week, or classical... :D

mid
2005-Apr-20, 09:23 AM

I wouldn't have said that at all. Franz Ferdinand claim to be a pop group. Busted think they play Rock music.

Since the last five people on my iPod were Pet Shop Boys, A Perfect Circle, Philip Glass, Underworld and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy I'll abstain from the vote, I think.

edit - it's funny that the remaining category is Rap; the Beasties have just come on.

Yes, Apple's random really is very random indeed.

magimix
2005-Apr-20, 09:47 AM
A hard poll to vote in! After years of changing tastes, the set of music I tend to like is quite ecclectic - as it is for most people, I imagine.

So on my cheap IPOD knock-off (the imaginatively titled NPOD) I have everything from Judas Priest, Slayer, Iron Maiden, through to detroit techno, trance and hard house, taking a detour through contemporary Indie rock (Muse, Radiohead, Blur, The Notwist, etc), and whimsical indie rock from the States (Grandaddy, Sparklehorse, Mercury Rev, and so forth).

It's nice having a varied selection as it means I have something to listen to, whatever the mood.

the_shaggy_one
2005-Apr-20, 10:24 AM
If I went into most record stores, all my music would be in the "Rock/Pop" section.

Now, if you'd like to get specific, I listen to music ranging from classic rock from the 60's and 70's (Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Doors) to 80's new wave (Depeche Mode, New Order, The Cure). Add in some grunge (Nirvana, Screaming Trees) and alternative (Hum, Blur, Cake, Beck, The Foo Fighters, Soul Coughing) from the 90's, as well as a lot of modern indie, alternative, and experimental music (The Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Modest Mouse, Wilco, Radiohead, The White Stripes, Flogging Molly). I also find myself listening to some punk (The Clash, Bad Religion), industrial (Nine Inch Nails), and some difficult to classify pop music (David Gray, U2, Tom Petty).

I've found that most people have similarly ecclectic musical taste, and it's better to go by a list of the bands someone listens to when seeking an idea of thier musical preferences.

Maksutov
2005-Apr-20, 11:47 AM
I voted Classical.

However, that's not to the exclusion of other types of music.

For example, here's a list of the pieces on a typical "mix" CD for use at home or in the car:

1. Mahler: Symphony No. 5: Opening fanfare.
2. Steppenwolf: Born To Be Wild
3. Beatles: White Album: I'm So Tired
4. Mothers of Invention: Absolutely Free: Plastic People
5. Sibelius: A Lonely Ski Trail
6. Honegger: Symphony No. 2 for String Orchestra and Trumpet: 1. Molto Moderato - Allegro
7. Mothers of Invention: Absolutely Free: Duke of Prunes
8. Bartók: Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta: 3. Adagio
9. Ives: Symphony No. 4: 3. Fugue: Andante moderato
10. Cream: Sunshine of Your Love
11. Mahler: Symphony No. 5: 4. Adagietto
12. Canned Heat: Going Up the Country
13. Mothers of Invention: Absolutely Free: Call Any Vegetable
14. Tom "T-Bone" Stankus: Existential Blues
15. Ives: The Unanswered Question
16. Sibelius: The Wood Nymph
17. Canned Heat: Boogie Music
18. Beatles: White Album: Why Don't We Do It in the Road?
19. Napoleon XIV: They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!
20. Canned Heat: On The Road Again
21. Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde: V. Der Trunkene im Frühling
22. Mahler: Symphony No. 9: 4. Adagio

Hard to put all that into one convenient pigeonhole. Sorry, recording industry marketing execs and CEOs.

Grendl
2005-Apr-20, 12:02 PM
That's a good list Maksutov. I guess if I were to be shot up to the moon and allowed only one type, genre or period of music, it would be rock from the late 60's and early 70's; the sentimental quotient is high--I learned to read off The White Album. But Shaggy's list has stuff I like, classical is a given, and any modern piano, as well. I have a tape of dulcimer music in my car, for pete's sake. Not to mention famous banjo music like the theme from Deliverance, lol. There's no end to good music in a variety of forms (except some).

I agree with Paulie Jay, and luckily we don't have to make that decision--the good of each genre is what I look for.

Andromeda, violin for you too? My mother forced me to take violin--hated it. She put my sister on the piano, which was dumb, since I'm the one with the long fingers. She played piano and cello, so my uncle thinks she was trying to form some trio or something. I can't read complicated notes (it's by ear), and somewhere there are old reel-to-reel tapes with me stripping the paint off the walls with my squeeeking. :oops:

Parrothead
2005-Apr-20, 12:56 PM
I voted pop/rock as most of what I listen to fits into that category (more or less). Mainly I still enjoy the punk/new wave/ska/alternative of the late 70's - mid 80's, probably as those were my teen years. That said my mood usually decides what music I play. I listen to jazz, classical, oldies rock, motown, prog rock, some metal, "world" music, some country ... aw heck just about everything but rap.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-20, 04:23 PM
Thanks!

...this totally isn't my style.... I don't really like this style of music.... this is not my type of music, and I'm totally not into it.
http://www.xmission.com/~dcc/PunkSmashAmp.gif
Maybe I'll have to upload a song I did years ago - Chaotician's Nightmare - that might be more to your liking. 8)
Thanks for listening though!

Now don't think I'm a huge fan of modern/heavy music. I like some of it though. I listen to many types of music. But just almost never blues and jazz. But that says nothing about your music being good or bad. The buildup/techniques of your music sound good. But I have no experience with the texturing/rhythms/moods of that music, so I couldn't tell you how I like it compared to other blues and jazz. But Island Dance was nice in the background (and I don't use "background" to disrespect the music!). I assume there are people with Blues/Jazz experience here, who can tell you what they think about the music from a blues/jazz reference frame.

I'll keep with =D> for your music making abilities! Hit the local club stages!

If I ever present my music, you'll have a hard time with it. It's just no style :).

jamestox
2005-Apr-20, 06:18 PM
I like music in the category of "Other."

Ex:
J-Pop & Anime music
Irish and Scottish Folk
Soundtracks
Classical
Rock & Roll Classics....okay, call 'em "oldies" if you want.
Bluegrass

I'm strictly a hide-bound antitraditionalist when it comes to music.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-20, 06:27 PM

I wouldn't have said that at all. Franz Ferdinand claim to be a pop group. Busted think they play Rock music.

Since the last five people on my iPod were Pet Shop Boys, A Perfect Circle, Philip Glass, Underworld and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy I'll abstain from the vote, I think.

edit - it's funny that the remaining category is Rap; the Beasties have just come on.

Yes, Apple's random really is very random indeed.

The fact that pop and rock aren't always clearly separated (there is crossover with almost any 2 categories), or that they often are named wrong, doesn't mean that you can't make a difference between pop and rock.

Just to name 2 typical examples:

The Spice girls were pop.
Kiss is rock (with "Dynasty" being a rock/disco crossover)

the_shaggy_one
2005-Apr-20, 06:35 PM
This is the most annoying thing about music. The genre "Pop" contains anything that is popular. Specifically, music that was made to BE popular. In a sense, Britney Spears, The Beatles, Nirvana, and Prince are all pop groups.

Anyone who defines pop on other terms is wrong, and the genre they're looking for is a hyphen, like "Pop-Punk" :P

Edit: Incidentally, this is my 100th post. Whewt!

Nicolas
2005-Apr-20, 06:39 PM
This is the most annoying thing about music. The genre "Pop" contains anything that is popular. Specifically, music that was made to BE popular. In a sense, Britney Spears, The Beatles, Nirvana, and Prince are all pop groups.

Anyone who defines pop on other terms is wrong, and the genre they're looking for is a hyphen, like "Pop-Punk" :P

Edit: Incidentally, this is my 100th post. Whewt!

And that's why "pop/rock" is wrong: there really is rock music made with other aims than the commercial treadmill alone.

And there is massively popular music that never was aimed to be popular.
And there are pop songs that aren't popular at all.

Music styles don't make sense :D :D :D

kleindoofy
2005-Apr-20, 06:53 PM
Classic all the way!

But please! I don't mean Strauss walzes or operette. :evil:

Monteverdi, Pucinni, Wagner, Verdi, Bach, Mozart, Bruckner, Schumann, Brahms, Stravinsky, ...

Uano Craff
2005-Apr-20, 07:01 PM
I don't really care what kind of music it is, just as long as it means something to me or I enjoy it.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-20, 07:05 PM
I don't really care what kind of music it is, just as long as it means something to me or I enjoy it.

<<<<<<< agrees :)

Welcome to the board!! =D>

Grendl
2005-Apr-21, 01:40 AM
Yup, that's all that ultimately matters. To me, I tend to chart my life by what I was listening to at the time, or at least it helps me remember what was going on at the time. One night some years ago, a few of us were sitting on the island under the stars singing all those corny songs we could think of from the late 70's..."Afternnoon Delight," "Mandy," Abba songs...anything that was SO radio.* There's no judgment here, they were signs of the times, and suprisingly we remembered a lot of the words. And many of them, like Carpenter's songs are technically brilliant, and remind me of my youth, so I know 'em all. :o

*...then some couple snuck by the rocks in a canoe and started laughing hysterically.

paulie jay
2005-Apr-21, 06:16 AM
I agree with Paulie Jay, and luckily we don't have to make that decision--the good of each genre is what I look for.

Exactly - why limit yourself? Why not broaden the horizoons? I can enjoy an Irish jig and I can enjoy Harold Budd - I can shake my groove thing to Sly and the Family Stone or get down to The Chemical Brothers - I can bang my head to Steppenwolf or Rachmaninoff... makes no difference to me as long as it's good!

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Apr-21, 06:33 AM
What a selection...

Oldies rock...the kind of stuff I listened to while cleaning the kitchen after dinner as a kid, on that old Zenith mono tube clock radio...

Classical...that's what the little portable is tuned to on the head of the bed...there's a Harman-Kardon computer speaker plugged into it...it beez amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing how good a junker radio sounds with a decent speaker plugged into it...playing Variations on a Theme by Erik Satie in the band in high school at the same time that Blood Sweat & Tears was making it a hit...

Light jazz...a recently developed taste...it plays very nicely in the background streaming here at work...beats the snot out of the racket the water system makes when the pipes start to slam again...

I have friends who play Scots-Irish traditional...I can listen to their playing, and hear the roots of rock'n'roll as they stretch from the Scottish highlands and the Irish glens through the Appalachian hills through to Texas...it's there, just listen for it...it's there...

...I love music...

mid
2005-Apr-21, 09:33 AM
Not all Rock is Pop, and not all Pop is Rock, I agree. But there's a huge crossover there, and the position of the boundaries is sometimes as much about the attitude of the band playing it as it is about the sound of the music. Usually that some Rock bands feel being called Pop is an insult, even though they sound just like other bands who regard it as a compliment.

paulie jay
2005-Apr-22, 06:26 AM
Well essentially, rock is a music style, while "pop" is a labelling device to describe the current top 40 market. Agreed, the word "pop" implies throwaway catchiness, but it doesn't have to. In the late 1970s Andy Gibb was pop. In the mid 80s Duran Duran was pop. In the 60s The Beatles were pop. And contrary to what a lot of young people will admit to, in the early 1990s Nirvana was pop. Pop is now Franz Ferdinand and Beyonce - different styles, same labelling device.

Maksutov
2005-Apr-22, 07:20 AM
What, no Gregorian chant? Bluegrass? Dixieland? Heck, there are at least a half dozen categories just within the more general JAZZ category, which - I know - is not very popular these days. I like some of the oldies and don't like other of the oldies. I play (http://www.soundclick.com/donchambers) instrumental blues, kind-of-smooth-jazz-fusion, world-ish music....

Categorizing music is definitely a weird thing.
I agree, Cougar.

Of course, if the first entry in the poll list were eliminated, and replaced with a type of music, there would be room for one of the categories you mentioned. :wink:

Nicolas
2005-Apr-22, 01:02 PM
Well essentially, rock is a music style, while "pop" is a labelling device to describe the current top 40 market. Agreed, the word "pop" implies throwaway catchiness, but it doesn't have to. In the late 1970s Andy Gibb was pop. In the mid 80s Duran Duran was pop. In the 60s The Beatles were pop. And contrary to what a lot of young people will admit to, in the early 1990s Nirvana was pop. Pop is now Franz Ferdinand and Beyonce - different styles, same labelling device.

About Nirvana: I can't help but laughing a bit when I see kids wearing Cobain shirts, while he was already dead before they were born :).
And sure they know "smells like teen spirit", but don't ask them any titles of "lighter" Nirvana songs :roll: . I think they'd stare blank at most of the music on the box they recently released :).

2005-Apr-22, 05:29 PM
I went for "pop", as Rock 'n' Roll isn't a category...But, that's alright mama... :D

General Zod
2005-Apr-22, 08:05 PM
Hmm, no classic rock or blues..... :cry: Fortunately I like heavy metal too.

I assumed that Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, Dio and the like are still considered "heavy metal" so I chose that.

pumpkinpie
2005-Apr-22, 08:08 PM
iron4, you never specified "your favorite music style" for what? To listen to, or to play? If it's to play, I vote jazz.....I like to listen to it, too, but chose pop/rock from the list. Although I agree, there's a ton of "pop" that I despise even more than rap or country.

Nicolas
2005-Apr-22, 08:12 PM
in this poll, that's "heavy metal" indeed.

Some people ("I kick on heavy") will say that NOTHING you listen to (no matter what) is "heavy metal", because they claim to listen to "heavier metal" (or what should be considered as such according to them) :roll:.
This goes really far: people claiming that Sepultura and Children of Bodom are poppish. Oh yes I heard Sepultura continuously on local Pop Radio like 8 years ago, really all the time. (do they even believe it themselves???) [-X :roll: :roll:

I never heard those people talking about "good" and "bad" heavy metal, but just the continuous search for ever "heavier" metal. "It's all about the music" :roll:

General Zod
2005-Apr-22, 08:26 PM
in this poll, that's "heavy metal" indeed.

Some people ("I kick on heavy") will say that NOTHING you listen to (no matter what) is "heavy metal", because they claim to listen to "heavier metal" (or what should be considered as such according to them) :roll:.

Right on! In the last 20 years heavy metal bands have been trying to "out-metal" each other without thinking that maybe what they're playing sounds like crap, hehe. Of course there are exceptions but I'm so turned off by the whole modern metal/rock scenes that I don't even care. :)

edited

Nicolas
2005-Apr-22, 08:31 PM
In my opinion, many metal listeners are worse than the bands.
From the moment somebody else thinks some music is still accessible, some listeners conclude it ain't heavy enough :roll:.

I like some modern (or a bit older) heavy metal, but don't start with "nu-metal" (at least not those that I've heard) [-( (shivers :))

iron4
2005-Apr-23, 11:42 AM
iron4, you never specified "your favorite music style" for what? To listen to, or to play? If it's to play, I vote jazz.....I like to listen to it, too, but chose pop/rock from the list. Although I agree, there's a ton of "pop" that I despise even more than rap or country.
I meant to listen, I'm unable to play anything, maily because I've never tried seriously to learn to master any instrument. I have 800 CDs more or less, and my favourite styles are POP/Rock and Heavy metal. I had a hard time choosing between POP/Rock and metal, but I finally clicked POP/Metal beacuse is the music that I listen most of the time. But, being true, I possess ALL the albums of Iron Maiden, ALL the albums of Hellloween, ALL the ALbums of Stratovarius, and a lot of albums of Edguy, Metallica, Sonata Arctica, so metal is also a favourite of mine. :evil: !..!