PDA

View Full Version : Are you prejudiced?

Glom
2005-Apr-20, 08:05 PM
Try this (https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/uk/selectatest.html) to find out.

Glom
2005-Apr-20, 08:18 PM
It appears that I have a slight preference for blacks, gays and Americans.

You want to here something really funny? When the first round of the US vs UK test was going on, it came out with a stream of images which I answered correctly. Then Tony Blair's face came up and I hit American. How satirical! :lol:

Evan
2005-Apr-20, 09:52 PM
Interesting. I am white. I have always been "color" blind to the point of sometimes not recalling the skin color of someone I have met. The test showed no preference.

I actually do have a personal preference for light brown skin color, especially for beautiful women. However, the concept of racisim is impossible for me to grasp. I simply don't understand it.

Glom
2005-Apr-20, 10:00 PM
If only there were more people like you in the world.

ChesleyFan
2005-Apr-20, 10:03 PM
No preference. Probably because I kept hitting the wrong keys, especially after they switched around the keys halfway through the test...

Nicolas
2005-Apr-20, 10:09 PM
The test showed a "moderate preference for white people".

This is not correct with reality. I study at a very international university.
I'm a foreign student myself. I have no problems with any skin colour, whether I like the person depends on behaviour only. Indeed I too sometimes can't remember a person's colour.

I think I got that result because my mind went like "click E (or I in the next test) for the correct things" and my mind associated "white" with "correct" sometimes because it linked "that's right, I'm white" but not because I thought "White is the good skin colour/black is a bad skin colour". I tried to do the test REALLY fast by the way.

So the test didn't give a very accurate result concerning those connotations.

I don't grasp pure racism at all. ("them blacks", "he's black" etc)

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Apr-20, 10:34 PM
I don't put much credence in such tests. I'm clumsy. It shows. I kept hitting the wrong blasted buttons.

Donnie B.
2005-Apr-20, 10:50 PM
I'm not sure if it's possible for someone who (like me) lived through the 1960s civil rights era to be entirely colorblind. But by the same token, I don't think that being aware of another's race makes one a racist.

Silent Knight
2005-Apr-20, 11:31 PM
I had to take the race test for a Sociology class. I think this was 2 years ago. I had a slight preference for Europeans. I think you can get into a rhythm of clicking on a certain thing that doesn't necessarily mean a bias.

crosscountry
2005-Apr-21, 01:02 AM
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Black People relative to White People

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for STRAIGHT PEOPLE relative to GAY PEOPLE

what do you know?

EvilBob
2005-Apr-21, 01:08 AM
It told me I had a strong preference for white people over black people - by the time the options had been reversed, I couldn't remember which button was which. I would think if the test had been run the other way (Black=Good) first, I would have come out the exact opposite...
I'm aware that being brought up in a white and somewhat biased culture gives me a similar bias, but I hate the idea and fight it consciously. So what my automatic responses are is not necessarily the way I will act. I hope. 8-[

Evan
2005-Apr-21, 03:19 AM
The test doesn't measure wrong answers and it also doesn't measure if you associate good or evil with a particular image or word. It only counts right answers. What it does measure is how long it takes for you to come up with the right answer.

So, if you see a white person and you are biased towards white as good then you apparently take less time to make that connection and press the button. Where it shows is when they reverse the association and make the concept connection of white + bad and black + good. If that slows you down then that is where the bias shows.

I had difficulty at first because I couldn't always distinguish white faces from black faces. I'm not good at faces.

Kristophe
2005-Apr-21, 04:17 AM
I, apparently, have trouble distinguishing between good and bad, but I can tell black from white flawlessly... What does that say about me?

I moderately prefer white people, whatever that means. That's clearly a function of where I was raised, and now how, or my opinions on people who are differently coloured than I am. The only black people I knew while growing up were my grandparents neighbours, and I loved them. I don't remember ever thinking "those kids are black". Just "those kids like to play baseball, just like me". When I was finally introduced to the concept of racism -- through junior high school classes teaching acceptance, ironically enough, I was forced to actually look around me for once and realize that there weren't any coloured kids. There were maybe 5 in a school of 700.

With that sort of background, I'm always a little worried that I'm going to somehow act inappropriately, and offend someone. Everyone's a person first, but that notion alone in the back of my head reminds me that I'm not exactly a product of multiculturalism.

Inferno
2005-Apr-21, 05:22 AM
I agree with the implications of this test - that most people have an unknown even to him bias to whites or young people. You can hardly blame people with the images we're fed by the media or the lack of diversity in the societies most people grow up in.

On thing I do query is the way the test is set up. I find that when they switch the words around (eg old with good and young with bad, rather than old with bad and young with good), it gets difficult and your reaction time slows simply because you are accustom to pressing the other buttons by the first part of the test.

In a similar way, if someone switched the function of the buttons on my mouse around it would take me a while to get use to it.

jrkeller
2005-Apr-21, 05:30 AM
On thing I do query is the way the test is set up. I find that when they switch the words around (eg old with good and young with bad, rather than old with bad and young with good), it gets difficult and your reaction time slows simply because you are accustom to pressing the other buttons by the first part of the test.

I had the same problem, I wasn't used to the new keys until I was almost done with the test.

jrkeller
2005-Apr-21, 05:46 AM
I moderately prefer white people, whatever that means. That's clearly a function of where I was raised, and now how, or my opinions on people who are differently coloured than I am. The only black people I knew while growing up were my grandparents neighbours, and I loved them. I don't remember ever thinking "those kids are black". Just "those kids like to play baseball, just like me". When I was finally introduced to the concept of racism -- through junior high school classes teaching acceptance, ironically enough, I was forced to actually look around me for once and realize that there weren't any coloured kids. There were maybe 5 in a school of 700.

That's my score as well, though I don't believe it.

I grew up and went to school in Bloomfield Hills, MI, which is about 20 miles north of Detroit. We probably had 20 black kids, and 20 Hispanic kids in our school of 1250. We did have about 100 Asian kids. It never made any difference to me. It was their talents, personality, etc., that made the person. Inside not outside.

It wasn't until I moved to Texas, did I realize how "white" my home town was and still is. In Texas, everywhere I go, I always see Mexicans (the Hispanics here perfer that term) and blacks. It's not a problem. If fact I've learned a lot about people, because of the diversity here. I even ended up marrying a women who was born in San Juan Peurto Rico. I doubt that would have happened if I stayed in MI.

paulie jay
2005-Apr-21, 05:59 AM
Seems as though I have a preference for young people (obviously didn't hear me swearing at those kids with their boombox the other day) though it did say that my result was "inconclusive". That's right - I'm an enigma!

Evan
2005-Apr-21, 08:20 AM

The test takes that into account. It measures relative times. It's in the FAQ.

Enzp
2005-Apr-21, 10:21 AM
Being in show business, I wouldn't get far if I had something against gays or people of divergent ehthnicity. And I can't say that I much care what someone is in that sense. I have a hard time imagining not noticing what color someone is though. Not because of some value judgement thing, but I certainly will notice the gender of someone or if it is unclear, I surely will notice that. I will note if they are short or tall, thin or fat, blonde or redhead. We have a lot of Native Americans around here, I can spot them easily. We have a large Hispanic community including our mayor. Many of them are ethnic Mexicans and are easy to spot. Nothing racist about that any more than it would be for them to note my oversize belly and large beard.

Silent Knight
2005-Apr-21, 05:52 PM
With that sort of background, I'm always a little worried that I'm going to somehow act inappropriately, and offend someone. Everyone's a person first, but that notion alone in the back of my head reminds me that I'm not exactly a product of multiculturalism.

I get that feeling the strongest around blacks. I think it is because there are so few in Utah. My high school had about 2200 students (10th-12th grade) and I remember two black girls and they were sisters. There wasn't much religious diversity either. I would guess that 90-95% of the students were Mormon.

It wasn't until I moved to Texas, did I realize how "white" my home town was and still is. In Texas, everywhere I go, I always see Mexicans (the Hispanics here perfer that term)

I hate it when people think Mexican is a racist term, it is just their nationality.

Swift
2005-Apr-21, 06:54 PM
I only took one of them (the gender/science) one, just to check it out. I thought it was operationally difficult, and I would like someone to prove the "science" behind such a word association test; that it actually tells something meaningful about my prejudice. By the way, I was gender neutral by this test (which I think I am).

I actually do have a personal preference for light brown skin color, especially for beautiful women. However, the concept of racisim is impossible for me to grasp. I simply don't understand it.
That's funny, I have a personal preference for beautiful women too, of any skin color. :D

I think the best test is that I have had friends and associates of all genders, sexual orientations, races, etc. The best thing is not to judge any person by their cover.

Thumper
2005-Apr-21, 06:57 PM
I only took twe tests: Age and race. It says I'm STRONGLY inclined to like young and white people over old and black. I don't know if that's right or wrong, if this is supposed to mean I'm a bad person, or if I should worry. 8-[

Is this supposed to imply that I'm a racist?

pumpkinpie
2005-Apr-21, 07:02 PM
I didn't take it. The first thing I got when I said I was ready for the test was the optional questionairre. I didn't feel comfortable answering the questions about preferring white or black people, and having to assign favorable/unfavorable feelings to black and white people. So I just quit.

I went back to it to type up this response, and it was only then that I noticed that it was optional. The first time I went back through the start-up it took me right to the test, and so I exited. I tried again and got the questionairre again. Even though I know now that I could take the test without the questionairre, I am not going to. It bothered me.

Thumper
2005-Apr-21, 07:04 PM
How do you think I feel? :(

Darasen
2005-Apr-21, 07:30 PM
Ido not think the results really are intended to judge anybody. If you are confused about the results read the FAQ and the links they provide. (hard to believe someone has to say check the facts on this of all boards)

I think there is some validity to the test.

Superluminal
2005-Apr-21, 08:25 PM
I heard someone on tv the other night say that the term Oreintal is not "PC", the correct term is Asian. Well, what's wrong with oreintal? Anyone from Siberia to India, or Japan to Israel is Asian. That's alot of differant races and ethnicities.

pumpkinpie
2005-Apr-21, 08:27 PM
I heard someone on tv the other night say that the term Oreintal is not "PC", the correct term is Asian. Well, what's wrong with oreintal? Anyone from Siberia to India, or Japan to Israel is Asian. That's alot of differant races and ethnicities.

I think "oriental" referrs to objects, not people.

Also, anyone from the western hemisphere is "American." That's also a lot of different races and ethnicities.

Lycus
2005-Apr-21, 09:15 PM
I think "oriental" referrs to objects, not people.
"Oriental" used to be used frequently to refer to people of Asian descent as well. But that use is dated now, and is often considered offensive.

Glom
2005-Apr-22, 03:37 PM
Good thing you mentioned that. I didn't realise that was case and I may have used it when describing a person of Sino-Japanese descent without realising I would insult anyone.

It's so tough these days to figure out what words are offensive descriptions and which aren't.

2005-Apr-22, 05:26 PM
I got a slight automatic preference for black people...That said, I was so confused during the test... :D :D :D :D

mopc
2005-Apr-22, 06:47 PM
In the race test, I got a slight automatic preference for white people, which might as well be true.

um3k
2005-Apr-22, 07:11 PM
I only did the young/old. It said I have a slight preference for young people. I didn't do any other tests because the one I did was very boring and kind of frustrating. I would say I am more or less neutral on all accounts, though. I at least hope I am.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Apr-23, 05:44 AM
A preference for human beings, Arcturians, and math people. Go figure