PDA

View Full Version : CNN and headlines

Wiley
2002-Jul-25, 08:41 PM
In another thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1805&forum=1&18), we have been lamenting over CNN's propensity for sensationalistic headlines. With the recent announcement that asteriod NT7 will come very close to the Earth in 2019, I thought it would be interesting to compare the headlines from different news organizations.

CNN: Asteroid may hit Earth but don't panic yet (http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/07/24/asteroid.encounter.ap/index.html) (when should we panic?)

NY Times:New Asteroid Has Long Odds for Earth Crash (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/25/science/25ASTE.html)

AP Wire: Astronomers: Asteroid Hit Unlikely (http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/science/AP-Asteroid-Threat.html) (from NY Times' link to AP)

New Scientist: Astronomers tracking new near-Earth asteroid (http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992591)

beskeptical
2002-Jul-26, 07:33 AM
Interesting that the non-astronomer, (I presume), reporters felt the need to interject their conclusions in those headlines. Only the New Scientist had a neutral title, but it implied new asteroid finds are reportable when they are really only reported on when someone thinks they are coming close.

My most likely conclusion for how these headlines were chosen is the fact they got burned the last time. When an asteroid's early path calculations said it was going to impact Earth in 2024 (or something like that), the news media all reported it as a fact. Then the trajectory was recalculated and they all looked dumb.

David Hall
2002-Jul-26, 12:51 PM
Here's a humorous tounge-in-cheek editorial about this new asteroid. He takes on the scientific calculation thing also.

http://www.eightballmagazine.com/diatribes/diatribes050/diatribes1022-1042/diatribes1028.htm

So, what do you think of his plan? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

nebularain
2002-Jul-26, 03:43 PM
On 2002-07-26 08:51, David Hall wrote:
Here's a humorous tounge-in-cheek editorial about this new asteroid. He takes on the scientific calculation thing also.

http://www.eightballmagazine.com/diatribes/diatribes050/diatribes1022-1042/diatribes1028.htm

So, what do you think of his plan? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Congress thinks it's too expensive for the second calculations to be made; they go with the first set. The nuke is fired. It misses! Z-O-O-O-O-O-M...*KABOOM*! OOPS! The nuke hit Venus!

----------------------------------------
OK, so sarcasm isn't my gift, but you can't blame a girl for trying....

Wiley
2002-Jul-26, 05:36 PM
On 2002-07-26 03:33, beskeptical wrote:
Interesting that the non-astronomer, (I presume), reporters felt the need to interject their conclusions in those headlines. Only the New Scientist had a neutral title, but it implied new asteroid finds are reportable when they are really only reported on when someone thinks they are coming close.

Since CNN, NY Times, and AP are not geared to scientists, having the general conclusion in the headline does not bother me. NYT and AP give the article's jist succintly: a newly found asteriod has a remote chancing of hitting Earth. Actually what really torques my cookies is CNN using the graphic of a Moon-sized asteriod plowing into the Earth. Can't they get a more realistic graphic?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wiley on 2002-07-26 13:36 ]</font>

Wiley
2002-Jul-26, 05:43 PM
On 2002-07-26 11:43, nebularain wrote:

OK, so sarcasm isn't my gift, but you can't blame a girl for trying....

Yes. Yes, we can. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

True sarcasm is a state of being. You must clear your mind of all distractions and all worldly sincerity. Clear you mind of thoughtfullness and caring. Most importantly, tell the truth.

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-03, 03:56 PM
It seems like CNN is getting even worse with thier headlines.

This article (http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=11924707&hpt=T2) about a 35 car pile up, which has this statement:

Authorities say it appears ice on the bridge caused the wreck around 6 a.m.

Is on CNN's page as "Fog causes 35-car pileup".

And that's probably going to change another 3 or 4 times in the next 48 hours to make you think it's a new story.

Fazor
2010-Feb-03, 04:03 PM
There was one last week that had a headline of "Attempted robber killed*", then when you read the article, the man was arrested without any shots fired. And he was alive and awaiting booking.

*I can't remember if it was a robbery or assault or what, but whatever the incident was, the man the headline said was killed in the act, was being arrested and booked in the first paragraph of the article.

Swift
2010-Feb-03, 06:08 PM
This just in...

NEOWatcher posts in 8 year old thread.
Panic sweeps over BAUT

;)

Maybe I could get a job at CNN!

Gigabyte
2010-Feb-03, 06:19 PM
CNN? What about FOX News?

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-03, 06:39 PM
This just in...
So;
Does the real story say that there is no Panic in BAUT?

But; true. It's an old thread, and my post is minor, and not much thread history, and it is related, so it felt right.

CNN? What about FOX News?
With them, it's not just the headline, but the entire story.

Argos
2010-Feb-03, 06:40 PM
[sigh] 2002, itīs been a good year... I was young then...

Swift
2010-Feb-03, 08:17 PM
[sigh] 2002, itīs been a good year... I was young then...
At least you still have your looks. :D

sabianq
2010-Feb-03, 08:45 PM
Fox news: imminent collision with spaceship shaped asteroid.. Al-Qaeda behind attack... more to follow..

SolusLupus
2010-Feb-03, 09:25 PM
I'd advise caution here. Fox News is a hot political topic...

PetersCreek
2010-Feb-04, 12:11 AM
I'd advise caution here. Fox News is a hot political topic...

Not in and of itself, it's not...so please don't drag it there.

AstroRockHunter
2010-Feb-04, 01:21 AM
CNN. That bastion of accuracy.

I heard on local radio some years ago that when Johnny Carson died, a CNN staffer called Rodney Dangerfield's publicist to get Rodney's thoughts on Carson's death.

Carson died in 2005.
Dangerfield died in 2004.

Jim
2010-Feb-04, 01:31 AM

I heard on local radio some years ago that when Johnny Carson died, a CNN staffer called Rodney Dangerfield's publicist to get Rodney's thoughts on Carson's death.

Carson died in 2005.

So, what did Rodney have to say?

"What!? Carson died, and no one told me? I still don't get no respect."

AstroRockHunter
2010-Feb-04, 01:41 AM
So, what did Rodney have to say?

"What!? Carson died, and no one told me? I still don't get no respect."

:doh:

Jens
2010-Feb-04, 08:18 AM

Carson died in 2005.

So what? A staff member is allowed to forget things. The problem is if it gets into print or broadcast.

Fazor
2010-Feb-04, 02:20 PM
So what? A staff member is allowed to forget things. The problem is if it gets into print or broadcast.

That's my problem with CNN.com . . . or really, almost all online news outlets. But CNN is the worst, because most of their stories are picked up from affiliates' websites all over the nation. Theoretically, they should have been through editing once. Then when CNN.com gets them, you'd think they could take a second to read through the stories again before posting them on their national news outlet.

It's been increasingly obvious that they do not read articles before posting them. It seems that they must have a team that just scours local news headlines for things that sound interesting, and pick those up with little more than a direct copy-and-paste. My evidence for such assertion is the shear number of incomplete articles, incomprehensible articles, or headlines-dont-match-story type articles on their site.

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-04, 06:01 PM
I also heard an un-named reporter from an un-named station interviewed Lamb Chop after Shari Lewis died.
The story ran that Lamb Chop was speechless.

It's been increasingly obvious that they do not read articles before posting them.
Agreed.

Here's another example:
'Pet Psychic' finds missing dog (http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/press/ocean/article_055b92bc-0d58-11df-83b7-001cc4c002e0.html)
At least that was the headline CNN had. I linked to the same story but a different source since I can't find the CNN one anymore.
They have since replaced it with a psychic finding a missing cat.

Now; what this version of the story doesn't say is what the psychic actually did.
She told the woman that she senses the dog is alive, period, nothing else.

First of all, any optimist would have said that. Second of all, what is the psychic going to say? "your dog is dead, goodbye"? No, she's looking for more money.

It was the search and rescue crew that found the dog.

Swift
2010-Feb-04, 06:09 PM
I also heard an un-named reporter from an un-named station interviewed Lamb Chop after Shari Lewis died.
The story ran that Lamb Chop was speechless.

I'm sorry, we don't allow discussions about Lamb Chop on BAUT. It violates our rules on sock puppets. :whistle:

:shifty:

:D

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-04, 06:55 PM
I'm sorry, we don't allow discussions about Lamb Chop on BAUT. It violates our rules on sock puppets.
:silenced:

sarongsong
2010-Feb-04, 06:59 PM
Current headline comparisons:

...It violates our rules on sock puppets...Hee-hee! (not CNN):
Label chief defends Swift's Grammy performance (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100204/D9DLBH0O1.html)

Comparing current "Big 3" headline stories:

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/)

MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/)

Fox (http://www.foxnews.com/)

I think the 'sensationalizing' going on is the fallout from the intensive rush for ratings between these three leading TV cable news channels who go head-to-head each day, with their teams of individual highly personalized "anchors" competing for advertising dollars, against each other.

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-04, 07:12 PM
Comparing current "Big 3" headline stories:
CNN (http://www.cnn.com/)
MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/)
Fox (http://www.foxnews.com/)

What am I supposed to see on those?
Especially since the major story can change at any minute.

sabianq
2010-Feb-04, 08:33 PM
i like Amy Goodman...

sarongsong
2010-Feb-04, 11:24 PM
Yes, Amy is good. I especially like tuning in to BBC America for their relatively calm approach to presenting the news.
What am I supposed to see on those?...Nothing in particular; just a quick way to compare headlines, as in the OP...

NEOWatcher
2010-Feb-05, 01:52 PM
Nothing in particular; just a quick way to compare headlines, as in the OP...
Fair enough. I just do that as a natural course of reading the news.
A single source of news is just asking for trouble.

traceur
2010-Feb-05, 03:17 PM
John Stewart wins them all!
*hides*

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-05, 05:45 PM
It's Jon Stewart and yes, it's a sad comment on the whole situation when the best reporting is on Comedy Central.

Gillianren
2010-Feb-05, 06:24 PM
I don't know if it still is, but their slogan used to be "More Americans get their news from Comedy Central than probably should." Only Daily Show viewers are awfully informed about the world--and probably mostly wouldn't watch any news at all otherwise.

Fazor
2010-Feb-05, 06:30 PM
I quit watching the Daily Show years ago, but not because I quit liking it. Jon's a genius, and one of my favorite television personalities. I just quit watching "late night" tv. Tara never liked it either, and I'm typically only watching tv if she's watching it too.

Gillianren
2010-Feb-05, 07:29 PM
I quit watching the Daily Show years ago, but not because I quit liking it. Jon's a genius, and one of my favorite television personalities. I just quit watching "late night" tv. Tara never liked it either, and I'm typically only watching tv if she's watching it too.

They play it about six times a day and it's on the website! They're trying to meet you halfway, man!

I've often thought, incidentally, that some of the celebrity guests they get are just there to appease Jon, because he'd really like to have Doris Kearns Goodwin or someone even more obscure and intellectual, but the executives seem to think we'd stop watching if he did that all the time.

Fazor
2010-Feb-05, 07:34 PM
They play it about six times a day and it's on the website! They're trying to meet you halfway, man!
Yeah, but I'm oldschool Daily Show going way back. I mean, Kilborn back. I remember thinking how bad the show would suck when Jon took over, and I gladly admit that I was very wrong.

Anyway, when I quit following it, they only played it about twice a day. One was when I was still at work, the other was 10 or 11. Pre DVR days too.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Feb-05, 08:56 PM
Pre-last election I found it interesting to watch when Jon had John McCain on as a guest, as it was obvious that even though their politics differ widely, at the same time they respected each other as persons which made for discussions that was way more interesting than the antagonistic shout matches you normally see.

Gillianren
2010-Feb-05, 09:21 PM
Pre-last election I found it interesting to watch when Jon had John McCain on as a guest, as it was obvious that even though their politics differ widely, at the same time they respected each other as persons which made for discussions that was way more interesting than the antagonistic shout matches you normally see.

It's one of the things I really respect about that show, actually. He has had guests of all political stripes, and it seems as though the angrier Jon gets, the more he works at pulling up actual facts to dispute the point. I've taken to using "rolled 212 on him" to mean "showed evidence that he was wrong" or even "used his own words to show evidence he was wrong." Most of the time, when he does yell, it's because someone with whom he agrees, or usually agrees, has done or said something stupid.

Swift
2010-Feb-05, 10:35 PM
I think Jon Stewart and the Daily Show is just about the best thing on TV. The only thing that comes close in quality, but a very different kind of show, is CBS's Sunday Morning.

ABR.
2010-Feb-05, 11:10 PM
Fazor, you're not the only one who remembers Craig Kilborn had the Daily Show before Jon Stewart. Five questions, anyone?

Yes, there is a lot of silliness and the occasional puerile joke, but Jon is a bright and well-read guy. I love the interviews with the history and psychology experts because he really shines. Of course, not all his interviews can be with pin-ups like Doris Kearns Goodwin!

I think his staff does an outstanding job of filtering the news and keeping tabs on changing messages from politicians and the media. I have this image of them strapped to chairs in darkened rooms filled with TV screens with their eyes pinned open like Alex from Clockwork Orange -- I appreciate what they do, but wouldn't want that job at all.

Gillianren
2010-Feb-06, 04:51 AM
I think Jon Stewart and the Daily Show is just about the best thing on TV. The only thing that comes close in quality, but a very different kind of show, is CBS's Sunday Morning.

I used to watch that all the time when I was growing up. And still got up early on Sunday mornings.

Jim
2010-Feb-07, 01:46 AM

Two of my favorites, though I usually watch Stewart the next day (ahem). "Sunday Morning" does some very solid feature reporting and the last segment is my "calming moment." Stewart and staff do an excellent job of finding the absurdities in the news and parodying them brilliantly; the interview segments are often very enlightening.

I also like "Colbert Report" and "This Week with... Whoever," not so much for the interviews as the Roundtable, In Memorium, and the Sunday Funnies.

NEOWatcher
2010-Oct-20, 06:26 PM
CNN's treatment of thier headlines is almost past the point of complaining. Either they are completely sensationalized, change them at will to make you think there's a new story, or indicate they haven't even comprehended the story they linked to.
But; I saw this, and had to comment.
"for sell"?

What are cows doing in a police car?
(the actual story said "with" instead of "in)

BTW: it's going to be interesting to see the show Jon Stewart does with the port-o-potty story (http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2085956). The headline there isn't much better.
D.C. toilet shortage is Keeping Fear Alive
Fear?

Fazor
2010-Oct-20, 06:40 PM
I think I said it in another thread -- I contemplated talking about it at least -- but I don't know what to call those. Usually the stories have their own 'Headlines' and those are just the link-text. But, since they are the lines that are getting the attention to read the linked stories, I still think they're headlines. Just different headlines than the author's headline on the actual article.

Regardless. there are constantly disagreements between pluralization, gender agreement, word order; unclear, badly worded, or just false statements, and blatant sensationalism. All these problems exist in the actual headlines as well, but to no where near the extent. It's clear that they just have their web-page editor post the links, but don't actually have a copy-editor for web content. And it's not just CNN. But that's the page I scan every day for headlines, so I see them there most often.

Solfe
2010-Oct-20, 08:14 PM
I have just introduced my wife to Stephen Colbert without any background. For the first 30 seconds or so, she took him at face value and then she got it. Classic moment at my house. :)

NEOWatcher
2011-Aug-31, 03:50 PM
It's enough we have celebrity worship, but this headline is completely overblown:
Justin Bieber crashes his Ferrari (http://us.cnn.com/2011/08/31/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/justin-bieber-crashes-ferrari/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)

An LAPD official says Bieber was driving through Studio City when the driver of a Honda Civic crashed into his Ferrari, which he says sustained some minor damage. [...] "It was so minor, so we didn't file a report."
That's a "crash"?
That's hardly a "brush".

Fazor
2011-Aug-31, 04:38 PM
And can you really say The Beebs crashed his Ferrari if someone else hit him? That's kinda like saying "House gets in way of falling tree."

Solfe
2011-Aug-31, 06:40 PM
"That tree jumped right out in front of me." As I understand it, that happens to many young drivers. :)

Swift
2011-Sep-01, 12:33 AM
I didn't know he was old enough to drive.

AGN Fuel
2011-Sep-01, 03:04 AM
He got lessons from some of Rebecca Black's friends.

NEOWatcher
2011-Sep-01, 12:22 PM
I didn't know he was old enough to drive.
Only chronologically.

Swift
2011-Sep-01, 09:38 PM
Only chronologically.
I was only talking chronologically. He looks like he is about 15 years old.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Sep-06, 06:49 PM
He got lessons from some of Rebecca Black's friends.
Only on fridays.

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-12, 08:17 PM
It's bad enough for CNN to take someones word for a story through their un-confirmed iReports.
It's another when they don't know the definition of words in thier headline.

(title as it appears on CNN's main page)
Amateur rocket blasts into orbit (http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-686938?hpt=hp_bn2)

On September 30th an amateur rocket built by Derek Deville blasted into near space in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada. Accelerating to over Mach 3 during its 92 second rise into the sky

Fazor
2011-Oct-12, 09:02 PM
CNN's "iReport" feature is a joke. One of their other headlines today is " 'Occupy' protestors hippies? iReporters say no.' "

Without getting into any of the political parts of that, the point is the "news" "headline" is basically "Group of people called name? Said group says nuh-uh!"

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-13, 05:18 PM
Without getting into any of the political parts of that, the point is the "news" "headline" is basically "Group of people called name? Said group says nuh-uh!"
Doesn't that apply to about 90% of any headline anyway?

What good is a headline if it doesn't imply some confrontation?

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-17, 04:15 PM
I don't understand how they can read a headline and re-print it completely wrong.

CNN headline: Vehicle gets 850 mi per gallon (http://www.clickorlando.com/automotive/29483550/detail.html?hpt=us_bn5)
Actual headline and sub-headline

Vehicle Of Future? 850 Miles Per Tank
'Treycycle' Promises 50 Miles Per Gallon

On a side note, considering I get at least 40mpg highway on my own non-hybrid non-subcompact car, I'm not that impressed that a 3 wheeler gets 50. Especially since mine cost less in the first place.

Solfe
2011-Oct-19, 07:17 PM
I don't understand how they can read a headline and re-print it completely wrong.

CNN headline: Vehicle gets 850 mi per gallon (http://www.clickorlando.com/automotive/29483550/detail.html?hpt=us_bn5)
Actual headline and sub-headline

On a side note, considering I get at least 40mpg highway on my own non-hybrid non-subcompact car, I'm not that impressed that a 3 wheeler gets 50. Especially since mine cost less in the first place.

Yes, but that trike has an awesome paint job and what appears to be twin auto cannons on the sides.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Oct-19, 11:12 PM
But does your car do 0 to 60 mph in 3.4 seconds?

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-20, 01:13 PM
But does your car do 0 to 60 mph in 3.4 seconds?
No; but does the trike get 50mpg if the driver does that?
Even if I can't, that doesn't mean that it should impress me. Especially when they are making the economy the main topic of discussion.

Fazor
2011-Oct-20, 02:03 PM
No; but does the trike get 50mpg if the driver does that?
Even if I can't, that doesn't mean that it should impress me. Especially when they are making the economy the main topic of discussion.

. . . for the modest gain in MPG over other 'smart' cars, it doesn't appear to offer anything in the way of comfort, safety, or convenience. It's a neat thing for people who want a neat vehicle. I don't see it changing the way the rest of us commute.

NEOWatcher
2012-Apr-04, 08:18 PM
I saw this one today and figured it's either opposite day, or the headline writers at CNN can't even comprehend a headline written by someone else.
As it appears on CNN's US page (http://www.cnn.com/US/?hpt=hp_bn1):
"Triathelete has new kidney"
as it appears in the link.
Fresh Off Kidney Donation, Man Sets Sights On Triathlon (http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/04/04/fresh-off-kidney-donation-man-sets-sights-on-triathlon/?hpt=us_bn6)

Donating a kidney does not mean you get a new one... Heck, you don't even get an old one. http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/konfus/g050.gif (http://www.cosgan.de/smilie.php)

NEOWatcher
2012-Apr-25, 04:10 PM
The headline as it appears on CNN's page:
Train horn stuck, blares all night KPTV

The real story (http://www.kptv.com/story/17665304/trains-horn-gets-stuck-blares-nonstop-in-ne-portland?hpt=us_bn7):

...the horn started blaring at about 9:30 p.m. ...People living in the area said the loud blaring sound went on continuously for more than an hour before Union Pacific workers finally got it turned off shortly after 11 p.m.
Ok, very irritating and news worthy. But; An hour to an hour and a half seems like a realistic time for the situation to be reported, the appropriate people contacted, travel to the situation, and repair. (Although; A cop with a sledge hammer could have been more effective to reduce the issue until the repair crew got there.

But; An hour and a half is not "all night". Even Portland is not that far north. :evil:

Gillianren
2012-Apr-25, 05:51 PM
And heck, when it is light longer in Portland, it isn't dark yet at 9:30.

NEOWatcher
2014-Apr-21, 08:00 PM
Today, there was a story about the preservation of Buckminster Fuller's first geodesic home (http://www.kfvs12.com/story/25020860/worlds-first-dome-home-in-carbondale-is-preserved?hpt=us_bn9).
And; what's been on CNN's page for the entire day? 1st drone home preserved

I really wish they would look at least know the subject of the stories they make headlines for. Or, get rid of that awful autocomplete or spellchecker or whatever it is.

danscope
2014-Apr-22, 12:26 AM
So....they have a home for bees?

NEOWatcher
2014-Jun-04, 03:48 PM
As the headline appears on CNN: Cops use donuts to count bears (http://www.wesh.com/news/florida-wildlife-officials-prep-for-statewide-bear-count-survey/26312986?hpt=us_bn8#!UohzF)
Apparently, CNN thinks that any government worker can be considered to be a cop.
I'm pretty sure the Wildlife Biologists wouldn't consider themselves "cops".

NEOWatcher
2014-Jun-12, 03:12 PM
More CNN hype.
The headline on the link is CNN crew hurt in World Cup protests (http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/sports/2014/06/12/cnni-darlington-world-cup-protest-skirmish.cnn&hpt=hp_c2&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F#/video/sports/2014/06/12/cnni-darlington-world-cup-protest-skirmish.cnn)
The headline on the page is "CNN reporter hit by tear gas".

The video actually shows the reporter bumped by someone and scared by a tear gas canister erupting over a 100 feet away and downwind.

So; I see no hurt, and no hit.

Fazor
2014-Jun-12, 04:29 PM
More CNN hype.
The headline on the link is CNN crew hurt in World Cup protests (http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/sports/2014/06/12/cnni-darlington-world-cup-protest-skirmish.cnn&hpt=hp_c2&from_homepage=yes&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F#/video/sports/2014/06/12/cnni-darlington-world-cup-protest-skirmish.cnn)
The headline on the page is "CNN reporter hit by tear gas".

The video actually shows the reporter bumped by someone and scared by a tear gas canister erupting over a 100 feet away and downwind.

So; I see no hurt, and no hit.

New headline: "CNN Reporter's Feelings Hurt by NEOWatcher's Lack of Empathy" ;)

Not CNN, but the LA Times' print edition has a huge story about Nintendo's new white PlayStation 4 hardware. That's probably the biggest news to ever brake in the videogame industry ;) (Polygon's story (http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/12/5803908/nintendo-now-making-playstations-according-to-l-a-times) making fun of it.)

Van Rijn
2014-Jun-13, 09:28 AM
This annoyed me: The Cold War: 5 things you might not know (http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/05/us/cold-war-5-things/)

From the title, I thought they would be things that would be rarely known, but it's mostly the opposite. Number 1 is "The Soviets shot down an American plane and captured the pilot." #2 is even worse: "Nikita Khrushchev threatened to "bury" America" :rolleyes: Sure, I expect the "we will bury you" line isn't as well known today, but this is famous. It's like having an article titled "Actors you might not have heard of" that lists Marilyn Monroe.

#3 and #5 were better, and #5 had the only thing that I found interesting (a soccer field got the Cuban missile crisis rolling).

But #4 was another well known one: "The space race made Americans fear for their lives." And it included this gem: "Some thought if you could put a man into space, you could put a nuclear warhead into space." That makes it sound like a silly idea instead of a blindingly obvious one. I wonder if the author knows ballistic missiles were used to launch men into space, that ICBMs were designed to put warheads in space for their suborbital flight, or that a relatively small rocket was used to launch a nuclear bomb that was exploded in space (Starfish Prime).

NEOWatcher
2014-Jun-13, 12:29 PM
This annoyed me: The Cold War: 5 things you might not know (http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/05/us/cold-war-5-things/)

Yes; that thing irritated me too.
Just like you, it was the soccer field that was interesting.

I see CNN doing that a lot. Take a bunch of random facts, and title them that way,. But; considering the audience, it might just be things people don't know.

You might not know that I responded to this thread.
But; I suspect you do.

HenrikOlsen
2014-Jun-13, 02:03 PM
Not just CNN, apparently the thing these days is an article with a clip with a headline that goes "Something somewhat uncommon happened to someone/something, what happened next was absolutely amazing!"
And it has a clip of a slightly uncommon situation to which the someone/something had a perfectly reasonable and utterly predictable response.

schlaugh
2014-Jun-13, 02:38 PM
Examples abound of outright pandering, and it's not just CNN. Today my local newspaper (news outlet?) ran a digital photo gallery called "The Olsen Twins Through the Years." Other than just trying to attract people who seem to want to follow every moment of the twins' lives, there was no significant news value (the gallery was apparently prompted by the twins appearing at a charity fund-raiser...in London).

schlaugh
2014-Jun-13, 02:50 PM
FWIW I had heard of the soccer field issue and had forgotten about it until now. But I'm an old curmudgeon who likes trivia and history.

Gillianren
2014-Jun-13, 04:33 PM
But #4 was another well known one: "The space race made Americans fear for their lives." And it included this gem: "Some thought if you could put a man into space, you could put a nuclear warhead into space." That makes it sound like a silly idea instead of a blindingly obvious one. I wonder if the author knows ballistic missiles were used to launch men into space, that ICBMs were designed to put warheads in space for their suborbital flight, or that a relatively small rocket was used to launch a nuclear bomb that was exploded in space (Starfish Prime).

Right--Americans full well knew you could put a nuclear warhead into space. "Thought," nothing!

NEOWatcher
2014-Jun-13, 04:43 PM
Today again. I got caught with a headline about SS2.
Inside Virgin Galactic's new spaceship (http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/13/tech/virgin-galactic-space-tourism-update/index.html?hpt=hp_c2)
It's a story about the manufacturing of SS2.
While it's interesting, It does not show the inside of the new spaceship nor has much relevance to the inside of it.

What makes it worse is this:

From the inside, it looks bigger than you'd expect after seeing its 60-foot-long exterior.
Gee, that's nice. How about a picture of what you are talking about because the video does not show any shots of the 60 foot long exterior let alone inside of it.

Fazor
2014-Jun-13, 04:50 PM
What makes it worse is this:

From the inside, it looks bigger than you'd expect after seeing its 60-foot-long exterior. ...

Further, how do they know what I'd imagine? I'm embarrassingly terrible at visualizing distances. I'd wager I'm imagining 60ft much larger than it actually is.

NEOWatcher
2014-Jun-13, 05:08 PM
Further, how do they know what I'd imagine? I'm embarrassingly terrible at visualizing distances. I'd wager I'm imagining 60ft much larger than it actually is.
...Especially since we grew up seeing things that are bigger on the inside (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BiggerOnTheInside).

Trebuchet
2014-Jun-13, 09:19 PM
...Especially since we grew up seeing things that are bigger on the inside (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BiggerOnTheInside).
You mean like my garden shed?

publiusr
2014-Jun-13, 10:13 PM
You should have painted the area around that outline green--for some chromakey...

NEOWatcher
2014-Oct-17, 04:18 PM
Headline on CNN: Runner races with broken leg

The story: Runner breaks leg a few feet from the finish line and rolls over to finish the race.

Trebuchet
2014-Oct-17, 04:35 PM
I'm picturing the runner and the leg in separate lanes. Or something.

SkepticJ
2014-Oct-18, 08:26 PM
I'm picturing the runner and the leg in separate lanes. Or something.

That would be a race against a disembodied broken leg.

If the Runner and the Leg were running buddies (it wasn't a race), then you could have a runner running with a broken leg.

NEOWatcher
2014-Oct-20, 02:25 PM
If the Runner and the Leg were running buddies (it wasn't a race), then you could have a runner running with a broken leg.
After Treb said that, I was thinking a zombie relay race. They might have thought of body parts for batons.

Jim
2014-Oct-20, 03:02 PM
Headline on CNN: Runner races with broken leg

The story: Runner breaks leg a few feet from the finish line and rolls over to finish the race.

I saw this and was reminded of an article I read years ago about an FA soccer player who, according to the article, "... broke his leg early in the second half. He was moved to the left wing, the traditional position for injured players, and completed the match."

Trebuchet
2014-Oct-20, 03:09 PM
I saw this and was reminded of an article I read years ago about an FA soccer player who, according to the article, "... broke his leg early in the second half. He was moved to the left wing, the traditional position for injured players, and completed the match."
I assume they'd used up their substitutions?

DonM435
2014-Oct-20, 03:46 PM
When we were kids playing baseball, the tenth-best player got to play a well-known position.

Left Out.

OnePlus
2014-Oct-20, 03:53 PM
"That tree jumped right out in front of me." As I understand it, that happens to many young drivers. :)

It happened to my neighbour's house :( About US$250K in damage.

NEOWatcher
2014-Nov-06, 04:18 PM
Today...
Trucks that change lanes with the blink of an eye (http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/31/world/europe/e-highways-germany/?cid=ob_articlesidebarall&iref=obinsite)
Really?

It's a great concept putting hybrid technology on trucks, and combining that with "trackless trolly" technology. But; what's this "blink of an eye" garbage.

They don't go into the part about changing lanes to any extent other than it's capable of going on/off the pantograph. But; I'm sure that doesn't happen in the "blink of an eye".

Van Rijn
2014-Nov-06, 06:56 PM
It sounds like they're saying there is an eyeblink release control system:

Trucks are not limited to one lane only -- they can overtake one another by detaching from the power lines when the driver blinks, and then can return to position by lifting the pantograph back up to the cables when the process is complete.

(emphasis added). Though if that's the case, the description is a little too vague. Also, I think a more conventional hand control, with a button on the wheel or somesuch, would make more sense.

Van Rijn
2014-Nov-06, 07:05 PM
Nope, it wasn't that either. I checked their site:

http://www.siemens.com/innovation/apps/pof_microsite/_pof-fall-2012/_html_en/electric-trucks.html

No eyeblinks mentioned, it's just poor writing, apparently it's just that the pantograph system works mostly automatically. Their trucks are hybrids, so can move about easily, and the automatics will disconnect or reconnect as they leave or reenter the lane with the pantograph system.

NEOWatcher
2014-Nov-06, 09:02 PM
Ok, so maybe Blinkers (as in turn indicators) and CNN has no clue and thought is was one of those newfangled face recognition controls.

Although; I don't know how it can know if he's blinking into a pantagraph lane or out of one. Out of one would probably be obvious, but entering one, or going from one without to another without would be difficult to know.

Van Rijn
2014-Nov-06, 09:14 PM
See my second post: I think now it was just poor writing. The pantograph connection normally works automatically (there is a hand control for a manual option), so the driver doesn't have to do anything while it attaches to or detaches from the truck, and they can freely move in and out of lane. The connection to the pantograph can happen while the driver isn't watching, and quickly (the blink of the eye).

Jens
2014-Nov-06, 10:41 PM
Doesn't "in the blink of an eye" simply mean "very quickly"? In the same way that when we say, "hold on a second" we don't literally mean a second?

Van Rijn
2014-Nov-06, 11:18 PM
Doesn't "in the blink of an eye" simply mean "very quickly"? In the same way that when we say, "hold on a second" we don't literally mean a second?

Yes, and if that is what the article said, I don't think there would be any confusion. However, the title talked about trucks changing lanes "with the blink of an eye" and the article discussed the trucks disconnecting from power "when the driver blinks."

NEOWatcher
2015-Feb-02, 07:48 PM
This probably can go into the dumb criminals thread, but the headline on CNN's link is what got me.

skier's storm stunt ends badly (http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/02/02/bts-mi-street-skier-pulled-over-live.wxyz)

Somebody skiing behind an SUV on a main road passes the mayor and gets pulled over by the police.

I see nothing that ended badly. No-one got hurt, and the skier and driver got what they deserved.

Gillianren
2015-Feb-02, 11:09 PM
It's just about a best-case scenario, if you think about it.