PDA

View Full Version : Nostril-Damus

Candy
2005-Apr-24, 04:27 PM
Nostril-Damus (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pub&dt=050424&cat=scitech&st=scitechnasa_sn iffer_050416&src=abc)

Next month, NASA is scheduled to launch its first shuttle mission in two years, but they won't do it without the help of one man and his nose.

George Aldrich has worked at NASA for 30 years doing a single job: According to him, he might be described as the agency's super sniffer, master sniffer, chief smeller, or even its 'Nostril-damus.'

:-?

Gullible Jones
2005-Apr-24, 04:58 PM
Toseeked by Scientific American. Their humor columnist did an article on this guy a while ago...

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Apr-24, 05:04 PM
I suppose having someone to do this makes sense. Can't have the astronauts vomiting because of an odour.

Candy
2005-Apr-24, 05:10 PM
But some calls are tougher than others. The first woman in space, Sally Ride, wanted to take her mascara, but it was rejected.

"She had no mascara in space," Aldrich said. "Not that particular brand, anyway."
A lady should always have access to her make-up. :wink:

Sammy
2005-Apr-24, 05:14 PM
Back in the 30s, New York City employed a guy to deal with complaints about smells from the sewer system. His name was "Sniffer" Kelly, and he was famous for his ability to track and identify the source and type of bad odors.

His most famous case involved compaints about odors coming from sewer grates in central Manhattan. Sniffer went to the scene, sniffed, and said "Elephant dung" (but really used the "s' word). He was ridiculed, but proven correct by further investigation. There was a large underground room nearby, long sealed off and forgotten. They found that circus elephants had once been briefly stabled there, and their droppings just left there. The odor problem came many years later when an underground leak wet the room and "re-activated" the dung.

Enzp
2005-Apr-26, 06:10 AM
Nothing like reactivated elephant poop.

Candy
2005-Apr-26, 06:23 AM
Nothing like reactivated elephant poop.
:lol:

If you think about it, the elephant 'droppings' may surface in a lot of cities eventually. In Indianapolis, at the Union Station, former train depot, now Mall/Hotel, the huge elevators still exist for transporting elephants. I'm sure there are a lot of underground areas where the elephants were kept during transit across the USA. :o

skwirlinator
2005-Apr-26, 06:27 AM
I guess you could say this thread :

Stinks to high heaven

Smells intriguing

Fancies a certain odor

#-o

beskeptical
2005-Apr-26, 07:49 AM
Oh, my dog just ate another snail. Talk about nauseating. Try cleaning the snail slime that is adhering to your dog's mouth like airplane glue. It isn't the smell it's how it looks. Ewww. I don't want to touch it. But I have to or it will be stuck there for weeks and that's worse.

Sorry, I had to vent my disgust. This is the second time. I'm sad to say my dog isn't that bright.

http://www.humboldtredwoods.org/images/bananaslug1.jpg

Candy
2005-Apr-26, 08:05 AM
Oh, my dog just ate another snail.

I thought that was what we Hoosier's call a slug. Ewwwwww.

beskeptical
2005-Apr-26, 09:12 AM

I thought that was what we Hoosier's call a slug. Ewwwwww.You are correct. I don't know why I said snail. Banana Slug to be exact.

Candy
2005-Apr-26, 09:20 AM

I thought that was what we Hoosier's call a slug. Ewwwwww.You are correct. I don't know why I said snail. Banana Slug to be exact.
Slugs were aplenty in Indianapolis (not Lafayette - birth place). They would crawl up the sides of your screen door, seeking warmth, I think. I haven't seen any here in Chicago (Roselle/Schaumburg area), though. :D