PDA

View Full Version : Support the Time Traveler Convention at MIT

kucharek
2005-May-02, 07:57 AM
http://web.mit.edu/adorai/timetraveler/

What is it?

Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention. Time travelers from all eras could meet at a specific place at a specific time, and they could make as many repeat visits as they wanted. We are hosting the first and only Time Traveler Convention at MIT in one week, and WE NEED YOUR HELP!

mopc
2005-May-02, 08:06 AM
Great Scott! This event is likely to tear the fabric of space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's the worst case scenario, the destruction may be limited to our own galaxy...

Fram
2005-May-02, 08:50 AM
Great Scott! This event is likely to tear the fabric of space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's the worst case scenario, the destruction may be limited to our own galaxy...

Imagine you are watching through your scope and looking at Andromeda, and suddenly, blink, no longer is there an Andromeda Galaxy. You have just witnessed the Andromeda TT fair!

Isn't this the ultimate version of the 'I killed my grandfather' paradox? I killed my galaxy?

Maksutov
2005-May-02, 08:53 AM
I'd love to support it, but I don't have the time right now...

kucharek
2005-May-02, 08:54 AM

Could it be that the GLPers are currently miss a pending doomsday next week? Can someone please give a wakeup-call to the woo-woos? 8)

Van Rijn
2005-May-02, 10:04 AM
I enjoyed the meeting, but I can't really talk about it yet.

Maksutov
2005-May-02, 10:28 AM
Ah don't cay-ah how fah in the fut-hah they ah from. Due to MIT being pahpetually overcrahwded, they'll still be told that "Ya have t' pahk yah cah in Hahvahd Yahd."

N C More
2005-May-02, 11:42 AM
The thing that really *gets* to me regarding time travel is that it really isn't impossible (theoretically). So, how would we know people from the future? What about any paradoxes? Not to mention alternate universes? Here's (http://freespace.virgin.net/steve.preston/Time.html) a nice site that I sent my son to after he began to bombard me with time travel questions. Hmm...MIT is fairly close to where I live perhaps I'll drop in *some time*.

TriangleMan
2005-May-02, 04:01 PM
Hmm...MIT is fairly close to where I live perhaps I'll drop in *some time*.
Maybe you'll be there . . . and not realize right now that you went. 8-[

A Thousand Pardons
2005-May-02, 04:55 PM
I went, but not very many others did. Turns out, there was another time traveler fair at another place at a different time.

Lurker
2005-May-02, 05:07 PM
So... the universe ended?? Will end?? Is ending?? Didn't End?? :-k

Look... does this affect my paycheck?? :-?

8)

Swift
2005-May-02, 06:23 PM
I enjoyed the meeting, but I can't really talk about it yet.
Please keep your comments in the proper temporal tense. This should be in the the future past tense; you should have said "I will have did enjoyed the meeting..."

:o

:lol:

Swift
2005-May-02, 06:27 PM

8)
The universe was had will be destroyed and shall was replaced by a similar but entirely different universe (I will hate the future past tense).

Your paycheck will had been decreased by an appropriate amount. You tried to report the time worked in two separate universes, and that was shall been strictly forbidden by your contract. Consider this a first and second warning (time travel always seems to favor management).

Sam5
2005-May-02, 06:36 PM
I'd love to support it, but I don't have the time right now...

Hey, didn’t I meet you at this upcoming convention back in 1873? I was the guy carrying the strange electrical box and you were the guy wearing the odd helmet.

Demigrog
2005-May-02, 07:05 PM
I think I'll have gone.

P.S. Note to self: That cheap hotel that looks like a good deal--isn't.
P.P.S. Note to self: Also, I wouldn't eat a hot dog from that seedy looking street vendor either.
P.P.P.S. Note to self: The cute blonde girl from the bar will turn out to be your great-granddaughter. You should be more careful at time-travel conventions.

Tuckerfan
2005-May-02, 07:39 PM
Has anybody alerted Art Bell to this? He'd want to be there.

Lurker
2005-May-02, 08:30 PM
Has anybody alerted Art Bell to this? He'd want to be there.
Got it wrong... he wanted to be there. 8)

Vega115
2005-May-06, 07:50 PM
That's um...interesing.

TECHNICALLY, couldn't an actual time traveler show up if somehow in the future they managed to invent time traveling? Yes, it is a near certainty that it's impossible...but there is a sliver of hope that it is possible right? Not trying to spread woo-woo...but still...who's to say that a time traveler won't show up?

*hides from backlash*

collegeguy
2005-May-06, 08:21 PM

8)

I think that if someone shows up, the universe couldn't have ended since there was a future that person came from.

Jorge
2005-May-06, 10:44 PM

8)

I think that if someone shows up, the universe couldn't have ended since there was a future that person came from.
Not necessarily our future.
If in his time no one went to the meeting but he does go. It means his future no longer is the same as oursÖ

Now Iím confused.

If someone isnít, please explain what I just wrote to myself!

sarongsong
2005-May-06, 11:21 PM
Leave it to the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/06/national/06time.html?ex=1273032000&en=639bcb1795e26a9f&ei=5 088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss) for 'clarification':
"...The event is potluck and alcohol-free - present-day humans are bringing things like brownies. But Mr. Dorai's Web site asks that future-folk bring something to prove they are really ahead of our time: "Things like a cure for AIDS or cancer, a solution for global poverty or a cold fusion reactor would be particularly convincing as well as greatly appreciated."..."

Tobin Dax
2005-May-07, 04:08 AM
Leave it to the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/06/national/06time.html?ex=1273032000&en=639bcb1795e26a9f&ei=5 088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss) for 'clarification':
"...The event is potluck and alcohol-free - present-day humans are bringing things like brownies. But Mr. Dorai's Web site asks that future-folk bring something to prove they are really ahead of our time: "Things like a cure for AIDS or cancer, a solution for global poverty or a cold fusion reactor would be particularly convincing as well as greatly appreciated."..."

Just make sure to check with the patent office and make sure you patented the thing. :)

Lord Jubjub
2005-May-07, 04:57 AM
Well, I've cleared my schedule and I expect to see y'all there in about five years (my time).

Who needs alcohol when you have brownies? :P Special ? brownies ?

Jorge
2005-May-07, 09:04 PM
Well, I've cleared my schedule and I expect to see y'all there in about five years (my time).

Who needs alcohol when you have brownies? :P Special ? brownies ?

lol this remind's me of "that 70 show" he he

Bluestar
2005-May-08, 02:52 AM
Is the time traveler convention over yet? I heard they had claimed to have a guest from 2026. I wanted to know about his description of how we made time travel possible. :lol:

A Thousand Pardons
2005-May-08, 10:23 AM
Leave it to the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/06/national/06time.html?ex=1273032000&en=639bcb1795e26a9f&ei=5 088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss)
They gave their coordinates: 42:21:36.025 degrees north, 71:05:16.332 degrees west

A thousandth of a second? A minute is about a nautical mile, 1,852 meters, so that is down to the inch.

Lurker
2005-May-08, 11:59 PM
Is the time traveler convention over yet? I heard they had claimed to have a guest from 2026. I wanted to know about his description of how we made time travel possible. :lol:

Yeah, but don't worry, 'cause it hasn't started yet. 8-[

:wink:

Swift
2005-May-09, 12:45 PM
Leave it to the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/06/national/06time.html?ex=1273032000&en=639bcb1795e26a9f&ei=5 088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss)
They gave their coordinates: 42:21:36.025 degrees north, 71:05:16.332 degrees west

A thousandth of a second? A minute is about a nautical mile, 1,852 meters, so that is down to the inch.
Well, all us time travelers know you have to have your spatial coordinates set very exactly.
Uh, forget you heard that. :oops:

Demigrog
2005-May-09, 02:27 PM

Obviously, if you're hanging a clock while standing on a toilet, fall off and hit your head, you will suddenly invent a flux capacitor-- which as we all know is what makes time travel possible.

:wink:

kucharek
2005-May-09, 02:41 PM
From the website:

Update: The convention was a success! Unfortunately, we had no confirmed time travelers visit us.
We did, however, have a great series of lectures, awesome bands, and even a DeLorean. We regret having had to turn away visitors, but there were capacity restrictions governing Morss Hall.

Won a bet with myself. I was sure someone would turn up with a DeLorean.

Kristophe
2005-May-09, 05:02 PM
Oh nuts. They reached capacity? I hope I'll was be one of those will got in.

Demigrog
2005-May-09, 05:08 PM
Oh nuts. They reached capacity? I hope I'll was be one of those will got in.

You'd think that a time travel convention would plan ahead for a large crowd, given the potential for a lot of visitors (even "simul-repeat" visitors :o )

Maybe thats why this one is/was/will be so poorly attended-- the temporally challanged guests took all the seats, crowding out the real time travellers. Maybe the real ones all decided to skip it and go to a bigger one some other time. :wink:

Melusine
2005-May-11, 01:10 AM
Updated from Wired News (http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,67451,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2):

CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts -- If John Titor was at the Time Traveler Convention last Saturday night at MIT, he kept a low profile.

Titor, the notorious internet discussion group member who claims to be from the year 2036, was among those invited to the convention, where any time traveler would have been ushered in as an honored guest.

See photos"We were hoping Titor might show up," said Massachusetts Iinstitute of Technology grad student Amal Dorai, convention organizer. "Maybe he's going to make a grand entrance."

The convention, which drew more than 400 people from our present time period, was held at MIT's storied East Campus dormitory. It featured an MIT rock band, called the Hong Kong Regulars, and hilarious lectures by MIT physics professors. The profs were treated like pop stars by attendees fascinated by the possibility of traveling back in time.

SNIP

But when attendees gathered outside for a raucous countdown at 10 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, nothing appeared on the makeshift landing pad at the coordinates Dorai set for the time travelers.

Fog from an aqueous smoke machine rolled across the empty landing area, which lay at one end of a sand volleyball court in the East Campus courtyard. One person in the crowd shouted, "Happy New Year," while another suggested the time travelers may have mistakenly set their watches for Central Standard Time.

Even if traveling back in time were forbidden, "You'd think some teenager might take the keys to the family time machine," said Guth, "and we'd see him streaking across the sky, with music blaring out the window."

But many of the convention's attendees were on edge in the minutes leading up to 10 o'clock.

The audience gasped when the podium in front of Guth collapsed during his lecture. A few minutes later, several sat up in their chairs when a musician standing beside the stage dropped his guitar on a cymbal.

It's actually a blessing that no one from the future showed up on Saturday night, said David Batchelor, the NASA physicist who wrote "The Science of Star Trek."

Speaking on his own behalf and not for NASA in a phone interview, Batchelor noted the same potential risks mentioned by speakers at the convention, such as the displacement of matter in a finite universe caused by the introduction of someone from another time. He also touched on the paradoxes arising from such acts as going back in time and killing one's own ancestors.

See full page.