PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to ship SP3 before Longhorn

Tranquility
2005-May-02, 06:19 PM
According to comments made by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to F-secure, Microsoft might ship Service Pack 3 for Windows XP prior to releasing Longhorn, the next version of Windows.

Mr. Ballmer made some interesting remarks: Microsoft might indeed ship SP3 for Windows XP before longhorn comes out. Also, upcoming version 7 of Internet Explorer should have anti-phishing technology built-in.

http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/#00000548

Humphrey
2005-May-02, 07:40 PM
Bah "longhorn" sounds like the secret name Windows uses when it makes software code only fit for back rooms in video stores and certyain "adult" shops.

But im kind of glad they will come out with SP3 first. no way am i switching to Longhorn untill its at least a half year to a year out and they have most of the obvious "Hey come in its all nice and cozy inside" hold patched./

Oh i pray....pray that SP3 does not screw up my games and internet like SP 2 initially did.

Nicolas
2005-May-02, 07:49 PM
I only had good results of SP-2. I had some double spyware control initially, but the comination Google bar - SP2- MS antispyware seems to work nice against spyware now.

let's hope SP-3 does some good things, like fixing that del - enter issue!!! :evil:

Gullible Jones
2005-May-02, 08:40 PM
Del-enter issue? :-?

Nicolas
2005-May-02, 08:43 PM
On an older windows version, I could select a file, press delete followed by enter to send something to the recycle bin.

Due to a different script in XP, it results in the dialog box "are you sure you want to delete" and the opening of the program :evil:. It finds time between pressing delete and showing said dialog box to access the "open file" script, where this was impossible in older windows versions.

To me, this is very annoying, but thankfully they did include a "are you sure you awant to open these files" dialog if you open more than (5 or something like that) files at a time (like when deleting them and pressing enter too soon).

Humphrey
2005-May-02, 09:26 PM
When SP2 initially came out it had several issues with games, especially graphic intensive games. Some would stop working or run much slower.

For examply, City of Heroes was effected by this.

But they soon changed SP2 or at least patched it to make it better because the issue was fixed soon after.

Sammy
2005-May-02, 09:26 PM
Would someone who is more technically astute please explain how any software features could protect against phishing?

Phishing is a bit of "social engineering" which dupes people with the look of false authority and security on a fake website. Anti-virus/anti-adware programs can look for dangerous files, but can't control the kind of dumb behavior that lets a person get phished. Am I missing something here?

The Supreme Canuck
2005-May-03, 01:45 AM
Maybe a big pop-up appears: "This might not be legit, you know."

Matherly
2005-May-03, 01:45 AM
Bah "longhorn" sounds like the secret name Windows uses when it makes software code only fit for back rooms in video stores and certyain "adult" shops.

I think it sounds worse. To me, it sounds like an OS writen by "That School in Austin", which is a scary thought.

We need an OS code named "Aggie"

:wink:

(For those who don't get it, the texas university longhorns and the Texas A&M Aggies- my alma mater- are rivals)

Tranquility
2005-May-03, 06:00 AM
Would someone who is more technically astute please explain how any software features could protect against phishing?

Phishing is a bit of "social engineering" which dupes people with the look of false authority and security on a fake website. Anti-virus/anti-adware programs can look for dangerous files, but can't control the kind of dumb behavior that lets a person get phished. Am I missing something here?

Well as an example, the software can understand keywords like "ebay password" or "Citibank credit card details", and if the masked URL is not related to the websites of these companies then an alert pops up: "Hey you know these guys might be duping you".

I doubt SP3 would be a major upgrade though. The only thing that comes to mind are IE7 and some security fixes, and other cosmetic fixes. Because the MAJOR changes in XP should come when new features that will appear in Longhorn will be ported back to XP, like the Aero glass UI, Indigo, and Avalon (I don't know if any of these have been delayed like WinFS, memory's a bit rusty), and these features won't be added until Longhorn itself is released. So I don't think SP3 would be a major upgrade.