PDA

View Full Version : John Carpenters The Thing....

Charly
2005-May-03, 01:26 AM
Has anyone heard any news on The Thing remake/sequal comissioned by the Sci-fi channel. Frank Darabont is meant to be writting it, last I heard. He said that he favoured writing a sequal to John Carpenters version.

This is potentally great, or awful.

I really cant believe the Sci-fi channel will stup up enough cash for great effects this would need, or be graphic in comparison to the original, or as terrrifying.

I have not heard anything about this for ages, so is it still on?

Inferno
2005-May-03, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I haven't heard anything for a long while either.

Not sure if I like the idea of this project. On one hand I love the "who is who, can't trust anyone" genre and Frank Darabont is a good director. On the other hand, I'd hate to ruin the great ending to Carpenter's masterpiece. Maybe they'll just not mention those characters?

At least they're admitting the limitations of such a project and just doing a made for tv movie - which I'm generally more forgiving of.

Metricyard
2005-May-03, 02:27 AM
I think there should be a rule that you can only make 1 remake of a film. (unless the remake is REALLY bad)

Do we really need a 3rd "The Thing"?

It's bad enough we're getting 2 "War of the Worlds" this summer.

Gonna be tough to beat John Carpenters version.

Humphrey
2005-May-03, 03:30 AM
I have not seen any news of it since about a year-a year and a half ago when scifi officially annoucnce they were making them. I assume they were scrapped for more potentially profitable ventures like BSG miniseries and the show.

Charly
2005-May-03, 07:37 PM
Do we really need a 3rd "The Thing"?

Carpenters film was not a remake. It was the first story faithful to the source material, and far superior in every way.

The Thing as a creature has so much potential, but needs careful writing as it anything other that another classic will be a disappointment.

publiusr
2005-May-04, 06:39 PM
I wonder if GCI looks too clean for a gooey space monster. Then too--you can do larger creatures with less trouble--a combination of effects are needed.

In AVP they tried to capture the feel of Carpenter's film with the antarctic setting--and when the Alien Queen was pulled into the inky blackness of the waters...

--down to the shoggoths.

The Bad Astronomer
2005-May-04, 07:31 PM
I cannot imagine a better horror movie than "The Thing". I worship that movie. I have an original movie poster for it.

Also, the SciFi channel, IMO, has made a nearly endless series of bad movies. It's hard to imagine they'll handle this one well.

But being a true skeptic, I'll wait and see.

Humphrey
2005-May-04, 08:38 PM
If you guys like the thing why not go over to : Outpost 31 fan site (http://www.outpost31.com/index2.html)
Im not a member but i do visit every once in a while to the website.

Metricyard
2005-May-05, 03:36 AM
I cannot imagine a better horror movie than "The Thing". I worship that movie. I have an original movie poster for it.

Also, the SciFi channel, IMO, has made a nearly endless series of bad movies. It's hard to imagine they'll handle this one well.

Not only their own movies. Why is it that a channel that's supposed to be all sc-fi only show the dregs of the genre?

With all the good to great sci-fi movies produced over the last 50 years, you'd think they would play a t least a few of them.

But, as the BA said, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Morrolan
2005-May-05, 04:12 AM
that movie scared the laces out of my shoes the first time i saw it (the John Carpenter version). i love watching it still and even after all those years the effects are still very good.

but i have to say that the idea of a bad remake scares me even more... :-?

jt-3d
2005-May-05, 07:43 AM
Nothing good can come of this. The only way SciFi could do it is with computer graphics and that just won't cut the mustard. And what would be the point anyway? It's been done and done well. The Thing should stand on it's own. It doesn't need the 'modern touch'.

Why is it that everything that made a few bucks back in the day is getting remade? They remade Rollerball. It is awful. Why waste the money? Give it to me, feed the poor, burn it in the street just stop screwing up classic movies.

The Thing stands a good chance of being the first movie I rebuy on DVD. I bought the tape a long time ago but I'm a big fan of DVDs now.

One of these days I have got to finish the game. I'm stuck on this dude.

http://home.satx.rr.com/jt3d/thing4.jpg

Oh, and pleasant dreams...

http://home.satx.rr.com/jt3d/thing1.jpg

papageno
2005-May-05, 09:23 AM
The Thing stands a good chance of being the first movie I rebuy on DVD. I bought the tape a long time ago but I'm a big fan of DVDs now.

I recommend the DVD.
The commentary by Carpenter and Russell is actually fun to listen to (you can hear when they open beer cans). 8)

Humphrey
2005-May-05, 01:31 PM
JT- its been a while since i beat the game. but can you tell me what level it is? i ccan look up a walkthrought for you.

Doodler
2005-May-05, 03:33 PM

The Dune Miniseries gave me a little hope in their ability to handle projects. Even when they changed things in the story, the decisions were definitely for the better. Particularly the compression of Dune Messiah into one part of the second miniseries.

They don't have a great batting average, admittedly, but they have managed to put one out of the ballpark from time to time.

jt-3d
2005-May-05, 07:15 PM
I recommend the DVD.
The commentary by Carpenter and Russell is actually fun to listen to (you can hear when they open beer cans). 8)

Thanks, I was going to ask but I didn't want to hijack the thread anymore than I already did. Sounds like a must have for me.

JT- its been a while since i beat the game. but can you tell me what level it is? i ccan look up a walkthrought for you.

Thanks but I don't like to use walkthroughs. I know I need to crouch down, get underneath it and put it to the torch. I just haven't pulled it off yet. I put it down when Call of Duty came out.

The hijacking is complete.

Humphrey
2005-May-05, 08:26 PM
I found with the higher level monsters you need to whittle them down with gunfire first then burn em.

But some Bosses can only be killed by some conveniently placed object/trap nearby.....

DukePaul
2005-May-05, 09:38 PM
I remember the very first time I saw Carpenter's The Thing on the big screen , it was not the visual effects but the organic sound effects that really creep me out. It was also one of the first DVDs I bought and now there is a new and improved version out and I don't know if I should get it or not. Is there anyone who has seen both versions? If the SciFi Channel does its own version of the Thing yea it probably will suck but what would really scare me is if some Broadway genius came out with the Thing the Musical. Just imagine;: the Thing singing in a frozen block of ice as Norwegian reseachers dance around him/her/it .......oh the horror.

Inferno
2005-May-05, 10:28 PM
I love watching the film with someone who hasn't seen it. Their expression when the heart attack scene comes on is priceless. 8)

Oh, and the DVD commentary is very good.

ironballs
2005-May-05, 11:10 PM
I was pretty much out of university and saw a job for the British Antartic Survey. As I was filling in the application form, John Carpenter's "The Thing" was on tv.

After a swift change of underwear, the job application went straight in the bin

Cracking good film

Metricyard
2005-May-05, 11:22 PM
I had asked this before in another thread, but this is a good one to ask the same question.

Why is it that a scientific team working in Antarica have access to flame throwers? Unless they like a few guick barbequed penguins , can't see much use for them.

Why is it that alot of sci-fi have access to flamethowers?

jt-3d
2005-May-05, 11:24 PM
I remember the very first time I saw Carpenter's The Thing on the big screen...

Lucky you, I first saw it on a little black and white TV. I was a poor guy just out on my own after the army gig. At least I had cable back then. It was love at first sight though. The whole desolation on Antartica thing. I would love to see it on the big screen.

jt-3d
2005-May-05, 11:29 PM
I had asked this before in another thread, but this is a good one to ask the same question.

Why is it that a scientific team working in Antarica have access to flame throwers? Unless they like a few guick barbequed penguins , can't see much use for them.

Well I imagine they would say it's to fill all those weather balloons they are always launching. Of course we know it's really to keep the aliens in line.

Inferno
2005-May-06, 03:00 AM

To light their cigarettes obviously.

Humphrey
2005-May-06, 03:20 AM
Well something has got to unfreeze the toilets.....

Morrolan
2005-May-06, 03:28 AM
I remember the very first time I saw Carpenter's The Thing on the big screen...

Lucky you, I first saw it on a little black and white TV. I was a poor guy just out on my own after the army gig. At least I had cable back then. It was love at first sight though. The whole desolation on Antartica thing. I would love to see it on the big screen.

LOL! i saw it on a small second hand B&W tv for the first time too! and still it scared me... i think the heart attack scene would've given me a heart attack had i seen it on big screen. i can't remember ever having a more acute reaction to a movie scene.

The Bad Astronomer
2005-May-06, 03:42 AM
Why is it that a scientific team working in Antarica have access to flame throwers?

I had a friend when I was in grad school who had been to Antarctica four times. He said they had a copy of "The Thing" in the video library there. After they got it, they requisitioned a flamethrower. They didn't get one. :D

teddyv
2005-May-06, 03:54 AM
Why is it that a scientific team working in Antarica have access to flame throwers?

I had a friend when I was in grad school who had been to Antarctica four times. He said they had a copy of "The Thing" in the video library there. After they got it, they requisitioned a flamethrower. They didn't get one. :D

The must have at least had tiger torches. Then they could at least slow cook it. 8)

Morrolan
2005-May-06, 05:16 AM

:lol: did they at least get the handgrenades?

Doodler
2005-May-06, 03:40 PM
One of the good/bad points about Antartica is that all the environmental regulations you have to deal with everywhere else in the world are regularly ignored. McMurdo Sound's got a nasty array of 55 gallon drums full of stuff you wouldn't see out in the open anywhere else in the world. Plenty o' nasty chemicals to choose from for your anti-alien needs.

weatherc
2005-May-06, 07:30 PM
I love watching the film with someone who hasn't seen it. Their expression when the heart attack scene comes on is priceless. 8)

Oh, and the DVD commentary is very good.

Yeah, the heart attack scene is one of the most memorable from any movie, ever. There's a moment of "WHOA!" followed by several moments of "OH MY GOD!" followed by the best line from the movie: Kurt Russell saying, "You gotta be [censored] kidding me," in the way that only Kurt Russell can say it.

That's great stuff. I think now I'm going to have to rent that movie (some weekend when the wife isn't around).

jt-3d
2005-May-06, 08:00 PM
Except for it was Palmer, who ironically must have already been an alien himself at that time.

Charly
2005-May-06, 10:26 PM
Except for it was Palmer, who ironically must have already been an alien himself at that time.

Thats the thing that scared me the most.

If a small particle couldget inside of you and imitate you cell by cell, at which point do yyou cease being you?

It could have fully imitated him, and him still be him until the monster decides to split his head open.

When it imitated Norris, it copied his heart condiion, so perhaps while it s an imitation, it also has the copies personality.

There is a version of the original scipt http://home.online.no/~bhundlan/scripts/TheThing.txt

It is different in many parts, and shows how much better the film ending is.

publiusr
2005-May-06, 10:36 PM
Eeech. I think flame units are used for ice reduction on large water lines in some cases.

Messenger
2005-May-15, 04:50 AM
I watched this last week, and was wondering about the ending...Best Ending Ever...but...

Are they both the Thing? Only one? Neither? Any theories?

Humphrey
2005-May-15, 05:28 AM
Well according to many theores i have seen, the most common belief is that Childs is infected, but not enougth to be fully replaced.

mopc
2005-May-16, 02:15 AM
You forgot that there is bad 'astronomy' in that movie... even though they are in Antarctica, there is a normal daylight and nighttime cycle...

Messenger
2005-May-16, 03:16 AM
I wasn't keeping track of the day/night cycles, but I do know that for the coastal stations of Antarctica, they wouldn't be experiencing full 24-hour darkness in "only the first week of winter." So, bad, maybe, but not that bad...

Childs was running around alone for awhile. So, yes, I thought that too. But didn't he share a drink with him? Maybe at that point they were both infected...

SeanF
2005-May-16, 01:32 PM
I wasn't keeping track of the day/night cycles, but I do know that for the coastal stations of Antarctica, they wouldn't be experiencing full 24-hour darkness in "only the first week of winter." So, bad, maybe, but not that bad...
Well, technically, the winter solstice is the first day of winter. If a location ever gets 24-hours of darkness, it's going to be then.

gethen
2005-May-16, 02:15 PM
I watched this last week, and was wondering about the ending...Best Ending Ever...but...

And if either one of them is the Thing, don't they just sit there until they freeze and the Thing is dormant again until the rescue party comes?
I was just glad that they didn't go with a more traditional horror movie ending like a dog sitting off to the side, waiting, so you know for sure that it's not over.

Disinfo Agent
2005-May-16, 02:55 PM
Best Ending Ever...but...

Exactly. :D
That's why it's such a good ending.

Charly
2005-May-16, 10:00 PM

And if either one of them is the Thing, don't they just sit there until they freeze and the Thing is dormant again until the rescue party comes?
I was just glad that they didn't go with a more traditional horror movie ending like a dog sitting off to the side, waiting, so you know for sure that it's not over.

Apparently there is a TV edit that was show in the US which dramatically changed certain scenes, and the ending showed a huskie running off into the distance. This edit was not done by Carpenter.

Carpenter talked about shooting an ending showing the two being rescued and blood tested, but thought that it would be better to do what he did (good decision, yeah the best film ending ever).

But I would suggest they are both human. The Thing could have burrowed into the generator room, and did not get time to take Childs over. I reckon that Childs bottled it, and ran away. or got scared and went to look for the others.

gethen
2005-May-16, 11:01 PM
This entire thread reminds me that my favorite movies are the ones that you see and then argue about with a friend over a cold beer. The last time that happened my friend and I had just seen Frenzy and we nearly had a knowdown dragout over what that meant. I think my friend needs to see The Thing ASAP. :wink:

Humphrey
2005-May-17, 02:02 AM
I just believe that since it so easy to get infected. Both might be the thing. But best guesses from what i have read is that Childs was infected offscreen.

Damnit! now i got to waqtch it! It will be a late night for me! :-P

Messenger
2005-May-17, 02:42 AM
I usually have a "The Thing" party in the summer, when the temperatures get really sweltering for days on end...nothing like watching The Thing to chill you out...

But I've got to watch it too, now. Because I'm sure they swill from the same bottle in the ending. Can one Thing recognize another?

Inferno
2005-May-17, 05:37 AM
Can one Thing recognize another?

How about the equally puzzling, if you are the Thing, do you know it?

Gas Giant
2005-May-17, 11:22 AM
On the DVD there is a long making-of documentary. One of the points they keep coming back to is about just that question - if you were the thing would you know it? One thing is plain - something in an infected person or animal knows, the bit that gives them the urge to infect others.

Disinfo Agent
2005-May-17, 11:35 AM
One of the characters in the film who later turns out to be a thing behaves all along as though he weren't one, showing fear of the thing, being cautious about it, etc.
On the other hand, when he's unmasked, he quickly starts to shift shape, possibly a transformation that was being prepared below the surface before the unmasking... :)

gethen
2005-May-17, 12:46 PM
But if Russel were infected off-camera, during the time when they found his split jacket, why would he have shown the others how to use the blood and a hot wire to find other infected people? Why would he have wanted to blow up the whole camp to stop the Thing from just hibernating? Unless of course he was just trying to get rid of everyone else so he could hibernate himself. Sheesh. Too confusing.
I think it had to be Childs. Too much unaccounted for time.

Disinfo Agent
2005-May-17, 01:11 PM
Or unless he weren't aware that he was a thing, gethen.

gethen
2005-May-17, 02:21 PM
Or unless he weren't aware that he was a thing, gethen.
But surely the guy who was building the flying saucer in the tunnel must have known what he was. It would have been difficult for him to be building it and thinking he was just one of the guys at the same time. If that version of the Thing was aware of being an alien, why would that not be true of the other versions?

Disinfo Agent
2005-May-17, 02:40 PM
I don't think he necessarily knew what he was. It could be that the thing "personality" only manifested itself when there was no one else around, and the "host" was unaware of it. Or he could have only started to build the ship after he had definitively transformed into a thing.

Humphrey
2005-May-17, 05:29 PM
I always assumed of the Thing as a individualistic "all for itself" type being. Thats why a infected person can kill anothetr infected person. It does not care, all it does is want to survive itself.

Jason
2005-May-17, 05:36 PM
I always assumed of the Thing as a individualistic "all for itself" type being. Thats why a infected person can kill anothetr infected person. It does not care, all it does is want to survive itself.
That was the whole idea behind the blood test - once the blood was seperated from the Thing it came from it would no longer care if it gave away it's donor by reacting to the hot wire - it was only concerned with its own survival.

Disinfo Agent
2005-May-17, 05:58 PM
That's another idea that occurred to me, although I have to wonder how such individualistic creatures would have been able to form a society that managed to progress to the point of building spaceships.

Humphrey
2005-May-17, 07:17 PM
That's another idea that occurred to me, although I have to wonder how such individualistic creatures would have been able to form a society that managed to progress to the point of building spaceships.Ive read that it was intended to be the Thing creature was a stowaway or a prisoner of the alien ship and broke loose, killing the crew and cr4ashing the ship.

This is theories from the outpost 31 site again.

Jason
2005-May-17, 09:57 PM
I've read that it was intended to be the Thing creature was a stowaway or a prisoner of the alien ship and broke loose, killing the crew and crashing the ship.

Except that the Thing was building itself a ship in Antarctica (or a sort of anti-gravity belt in the original short story). That would make the prisoner/stowaway theory unnecessary - it has the ability to build and fly it's own ships.

We have no idea how a whole society of Things would interact. This was one isolated Thing trying its best to survive in a very hostile environment.

Charly
2005-May-17, 10:26 PM
I dont think that the thing comes from a society of other things. Nothing could naturally develop like that.

I reckon it was the result of some biological weapon research, that escaped, was chased across the galaxy, eventally escaping, ship damaged, and crashed on Earth.

It gains the memories and knowlegdge of whom ever it imitates. It obviously imitated a creature from the species that built the ship it arrived in, who had knowledge of ship construction.

I always wondered if it had its own intelligence. I reasoned, that no, it only had its own basic survival instincts, and any intellegnce it had depended on it assuming the form of a particular creature. The more intelligent the creature, the better able it was to interpret memories of those it had absorped.

Just a theory...

Gullible Jones
2005-May-17, 11:49 PM
Maybe the things are supposed to be like the Zang of the Uplift universe? Many from one, rather than one from many - not society, but simulation?

R.A.F.
2005-May-19, 02:23 PM
My take on the ending...

I think it was a win/lose situation. That is, they were both human, they had saved the world from the Thing...but in doing so, they end up freezing to death.

Just call me an optimist. :)

Doodler
2005-May-19, 06:55 PM
I'll go with both being human. Russel's last line was kinda telling there.

If we’ve got any surprises for each other, I don’t think we’re in much shape to do anything about it.” Russell’s final comment, “Why don’t we just stay here a little while, see what happens,”

The Thing doesn't strike me as a creature that would have stood by while something to assimilate was there waiting.

publiusr
2005-May-19, 08:32 PM
There was a moment when Palmer and the other Thing--looked at each other--as if there was some sort of communication--before the heart attack--which might have been when the Thing asserted itself--or perhaps was just a well played ruse.

Palmer noticed the Thing-head and sopke to avert suspicion.

I have always wondered about a contest between The Thing and The Blob. I figure the Alien and the Predator would be easy picking for the Thing--but the Blob is a polar opposite.

The Thing assimilates organic tissue and builds it up to its own advanced state. The Blob breaks down organics to a simpler state.

So which would assimilate the other? Would the Blob--having entropy on its side--break down the Thing--or would the Thing view the Blob as a huge culture of food?

Messenger
2005-May-20, 03:06 AM
Childs had a flamethrower, the only thing that could really do any damage to a Thing. A good reason to just sit there quietly waiting....and they did share a drink....

And for my money, the Thing could assimilate the Blob. When the Blob went to eat the Thing -- end of story.

Inferno
2005-May-20, 05:04 AM
I have always wondered about a contest between The Thing and The Blob. I figure the Alien and the Predator would be easy picking for the Thing--but the Blob is a polar opposite.

The Thing assimilates organic tissue and builds it up to its own advanced state. The Blob breaks down organics to a simpler state.

So which would assimilate the other? Would the Blob--having entropy on its side--break down the Thing--or would the Thing view the Blob as a huge culture of food?

Curse you! I'm going to be thinking about this for days now!

weatherc
2005-May-20, 01:50 PM

Something tells me that, no matter who won, the results of such an encounter would be really messy.

publiusr
2005-May-20, 06:02 PM
Probably so.

I saw The Thing last night on Digital Cable again. I was trying to figure who was the first with the bug. Bennings was the only one affected by the recovered Human form. I think the dog was seen with Palmer or Norris (bushy hair in shadow). That looked like Norris in profile--but I would think it was Palmer--who infected Norris food. Norris then was in charge of Blair's caretaking. Only then did Fuchs suggest eating out of cans.

I think Palmer's assimilation was perfect--and the food-borne bug ate Norris inside out using him as a host (like the grubs that get inside the antenna of snails and cause them to pulse--attracting birds) Norris acted as a carrier--with the heart-attack marking the transition.

I'd hate to be the paramedic who had to treat that actor (Charles Hallahan from Dante's Peak IIRC) during a real heart attack:

"Aren't you going to use the defib?"

"NO WAY!! I like my hands--thank you."

"Man it was only a movie!"

He still is heavy.

And Brimley being a hoss' and throwing people around!--But it worked! "I'll kill you" in a Macon County Sheriff accent.

The dog footage being used at the end (not Carpenter's edit) makes sense--since we saw a dog-like form bud off Blair. For the longest time--I didn't see his face in the corner--only noticing the huge jaws opposite.

Leviathan tried to rip that look off--and failed.

Same with Dysart's character Dr. Copper. I finally noticed his nose ring--decades before piercings came into vogue. Everything about that movie works. The names (Palmer, Norris, Fuchs, Windows)--the sudden jerk of the Caterpiller as it goes through the base-wall. Palmer's look of resignation as he rolled his eyes just before he came apart. Child's fear of Gary as they were both tied up.

The lines are great. "I know you gentlemen have been through a lot...but I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter tied to this f-ing couch!"

Even the explosions looked creepy--especially the scene where the camera is backing down the hall as the base goes up room after room--the vile screams at the end--even the big fireball at the end seemed tainted--with the smaller shed explosion and the cool sound effect with it being a surprise.

And who needs regular Zombies when you can have the spooks in THE FOG instantly materialize and flow under doors?

Only Mike Mann's Manhunter came close in being as complete a movie.

Dark Horse Comics did two graphic novel sequels "The Thing From Another World" and "Climate Of Fear."

Here is a website on The Thing:

http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~vampire/thing/t-menu.htm

Best flying saucer crash footage ever. Speaking of saucers:

http://www.astronautix.com/craft/naattocv.htm Spacecraft--as seen on POP MECH

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/roost.htm Huge HLLV booster proposal about the size and shape of Carpenter's saucer.

Just in time for the War Of The Worlds--a recap on expeditions that never were...

http://www.astronautix.com/craftfam/martions.htm

Doodler
2005-May-20, 08:04 PM
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/roost.htm Huge HLLV booster proposal about the size and shape of Carpenter's saucer.

*twitch*

Otherwise, a great rundown.

publiusr
2005-May-20, 08:33 PM
Had to get that in. :wink:

Doodler
2005-May-20, 09:29 PM
Keep hammering, one of these days someone will find an economic use for a monster like that.

Charly
2005-May-20, 10:02 PM
The first person infected could have been Blair.

He was exposed while doing the autopsy. He could have had a particle inside of him then without realising it.

Im not sure the ddog did attack anyone when it entered the room. I think people shared rooms, so it would not be the best place to attack.

Messenger
2005-May-21, 01:09 PM
It's possible that the Thing was an escaped biological warfare tool for the aliens; somewhere out there might be a "cure;" some kind of shut-down virus. Maybe we got tangled up in some alien war. I was just trying to understand how anything like that could have evolved naturally. It's so destructive; inevitably, the only food sources left would have been it's own kind.

Humots
2005-May-22, 01:17 AM
In the original story, they didn't have flamethrowers, but they did have big honking blowtorches used to thaw out airplane engines. Just as good at short range. The author, John W. Campbell, was the original hard SF man. He probably carefully studied what equipment would be available at an Antarctic base.

One interesting thing in the original story: the humans were a match for the alien. There was plenty of fear and dread, but no hesitation. The first thing they did was to disable all their transportation to keep the alien isolated, thus voluntarily locking themselves in with a deadly enemy.

Jason
2005-May-23, 04:52 PM
It's possible that the Thing was an escaped biological warfare tool for the aliens; somewhere out there might be a "cure;" some kind of shut-down virus. Maybe we got tangled up in some alien war. I was just trying to understand how anything like that could have evolved naturally. It's so destructive; inevitably, the only food sources left would have been it's own kind.

The original story theorizes that it was an ability that the Things had developed in themselves over thousands of years after they had attained sentience, not something they began with.

publiusr
2005-May-25, 05:14 PM

Something tells me that, no matter who won, the results of such an encounter would be really messy.

I think I have an answer to the question I posed. The Thing and The Blob would absorb each other. Remember the chemical reaction where a beaker full of chemicals changes from one color to the next? The same would occur--at first--with a Thing/Blob mix.

I should know, after all. "Childs" and I haven't been...ourselves ever since the arrival of a new being--a member of the Great Race of Yith who is influencing me to write this. (Childs has been taken over by an Elder Thing friend of mine). Who do you think downed the Thing's saucer so easily all those centuries ago, after all? (The Great Galactic Ghoul and I enjoy your tasty Mars probes BTW).

Why do you think the Predator ship was so quick to leave Antarctica after they and the ALIENS found our huge forms impervious to damage?. My friend "Childs" needs to be sent back to his own time. He and his Elder Thing buddies need to build some beasts of burden for a vast underground city (below Lake Vostok)--the beasts having a bit of Ubbo-Sathla mixed in).

His home is a parallel Antarctica whose peaks are much higher--and can only be visited by that Vortex Art Bell keeps going on about.. Being a time traveller--I spotted The Thing on ice--as well as this 'Blob' that had been parachuted elsewhere in the snow a few years back. What's that Childs? You don't want to see the battle between Teh Aht and the new leader of the Necromongers? Oh Well.

He tells me he needs to get back to his own time and start work on the genetics of that beast of burden. I don't think it is a good idea myself--knowing the outcome--but that would be telling. Ah yes...Childs even has a name for this Thing/Blob (and a little Alien) hybrid:

He calls it a Shoggoth.

Now I have to set about...Clearing The Earth.

Oh...if you see another Husky wandering around Dronning Maud--like the one in Vangelis ANTARCTICA (his music was always otherworldly, like Zann's)--don't be afraid to pet it.

It is very friendly...Quite so.

http://www.nutcote.demon.co.uk/nl04may1620.html
http://www.wesleyan.edu/dac/coll/grps/goya/goya_intro.html
http://artificeeternity.com/bookofsand/

Inferno
2005-May-26, 03:29 AM

I think I have an answer to the question I posed. The Thing and The Blob would absorb each other.

The Thing hates heat, but loves the cold. The Blob hates the old. What impact would that have?

Sock Munkey
2005-May-27, 06:37 PM
Cold affects both the same way, it puts them into a state of suspended aimation.

The Thing only used cold as a last resort, to keep from starving untill more food or a way to escape came along so I wouldn't say that it "likes" cold.

It's debateable if the Thing could take the Predator or Aliens though. Predators have technology advanced enough to deal with such a organism and the Aliens have such a different biochemistry that they may not be "edible" to it. We never did see it eat anything non-mammailian.

Now, if it can assimilate the Aliens it would be the perfect bio-weapon against them.

On a final note, if that assimilated husky managed to find a penguin colony it's game over for us. The Thing-penguins (Thinguins?) would head out and take over every critter in the sea before anone knew they were there.

Roy Batty
2005-May-29, 02:13 PM
Now, if it can assimilate the Aliens it would be the perfect bio-weapon against them.
OMGoodness, doesn't bare thinking about, almost zero gestation period! :)

On a final note, if that assimilated husky managed to find a penguin colony it's game over for us. The Thing-penguins (Thinguins?) would head out and take over every critter in the sea before anone knew they were there.
LOL! 8)

Sock Munkey
2005-May-30, 08:52 AM
I seek to entertain, as well as enlighten. :wink:

publiusr
2005-Jun-08, 09:12 PM
The Thing can be most any size--and has technology in its saucer up there with the Predators. Don't know about assimilating the ALIEN. I tend to think it could since that creature must also be adaptable--with plastic DNA to use humans as hosts--providing a weakness. The ALIEN adopts the form of what it infects but in a less perfect way.

I have this visual of a thing in human form walking thru an nest of ALIEN eggs. Some hatched facehuggers run from it, except for one just emerging.

"Not very smart, are you?"

It latches onto the Thing--then falls off and you see it kicking like a squirl run over by a car--before small tentacles writhe out from it.

The infector becomes the infected.

2005-Jun-09, 02:14 AM
Okay, being a bit of a Gatehead (thanks to you guys), I'm going to throw another one out there.

How about the Thing vs a Goa'uld/Tok'ra?

Or for the Trekkies, a Thing vs a Borg.

Inferno
2005-Jun-09, 03:48 AM
vs the Borg is an interesting one. As the Borg have a collective mind, would they "know" that one of there members was the thing?

2005-Jun-09, 04:00 AM
vs the Borg is an interesting one. As the Borg have a collective mind, would they "know" that one of there members was the thing?

Or could the thing even take over a borg drone or would the drone's nanobots (or whatever the blip they call them) stop the thing's cells?

It was kind of the same as my line of thinking with the Goa'uld/Tok'ra since they seem to be able to fight off infections/chemicals/damage, etc pretty handily in their hosts. For that matter, would a Goa'uld sarcophagos stop it if it wasn't too far advanced?

erisi236
2005-Jun-09, 05:42 PM
Hmm, I don't think that the Thing could take over a Borg being that their cells are machanical in nature.

publiusr
2005-Jun-09, 07:03 PM
They had a problem assimilating Species ...8472 or whatever.
That species also had a very busy genetic structure--triple helix or something. A Thing and a Borg drone would assimilate each other. The Thing modifies the genetic/biological parts--but the collective influences and controls the Thing.

This would allow a hybrid to merely bud off a droplet of blood, with borg tech in it--and it can become its own borg hybrid--no more need for incubators--or even assimilating hosts. it just needs a culture.

But a hybrid could either chose to infect a victim with either borg nanotech--with Thing DNA--or both. That would be quite the combo. The Thing might be able to blow off the borg bits if it had to. I think the Stargate people would have quite a fight on their hands--I think the Thing could take over most anything biological--apart from plants the Horta, and other rock type creatures.

It would be a nightmare in a cantina from Star Wars with Thing/spore infected food.

Imagine if you walk in and you see all kinds of aliens--but the problem is--despite the appearance of diversity--they're all Things.

You will be very busy with that light saber if you were lucky to get out at all.

Inferno
2005-Jun-10, 02:41 AM
Are we thinking about this too much?

....nnnaaahhhh.....

How about the Thing v Slimer?

DroneFour
2005-Jun-10, 08:57 AM
In the early 80's, at the last church weekend retreat I ever went to, while everybody else was reading their Bibles, I was reading the novelization of The Thing.
Heh, heh, heh,...

Sock Munkey
2005-Jun-10, 09:44 AM
Heh, I used to read sci-fi in church all he time too. :wink:

Charly
2005-Jun-13, 09:45 PM
And on the eighth day, god created the Thing.

Bet they didnt teach you that one at church.

Bang goes the theory of evolution.

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Jun-13, 10:37 PM
The Borg and the Thing have common goals. Them teaming up is a nightmare scenario.

Sock Munkey
2005-Jun-15, 05:46 AM
We never did find out what the full extent of the Thing's abilities were so its tricky to say.
Could it take over species 8472? Can the Thing mimic it's cells well enough to fool such an advanced immune system? My gut wou say no as the imitation cells have a different chemica signature.

Charly
2005-Jun-15, 07:01 PM
It doesnt need to immitate to kill. It could just turn into a T-Rex, and bite its head off.

Humphrey
2005-Jun-15, 07:30 PM
Ok a few of the assimilate threads:

Gua'uld: Very possibly. I doubt that the Symbiote can ehance the immuse system enought to prevent something as large as a thing infestation from taking over the body. The only thing i can consider a good action against it is their increased healing rate. They might replace cells faster than the thing can assimilate. But from the speed of assimilation seen in the movie, i doubt they heal that fast.

Alien: No way. Acid blood will destroy the Think microbe. Fire kills it, so acid should do the job too.

Borg: again, it could easily infect a Borg, but it will be a battle of wills. Borg are not controlled by their human parts, they are mechanical beings that run off biological systems to survive. So even if the biological systems are entirely taken over, the mechanical parts will still rule the body. they cannot be taken over. Nor can the nanites in the blood, which will just take over, or attemt to take over the thing cells.

publiusr
2005-Jun-15, 09:56 PM
That makes sense. But we have acid in our stomachs--so the thing should deal with the acid. OT I always thought the Borg Queen might have been a biologist studying insect life, and that allowed her to assimilate the collective as much as it assimilated her. The Borg would find the Thing useful. The Thing might have problems with the ALIEN--but it would have little trouble with other creatures.

In the graphic novels by Dark Horse--they don't assimilate plants. So the original movie Thing might be one of the few biologicals immune. Old vs. new Things. Hmm

If only Mac had had a Tricorder.

publiusr
2005-Jun-15, 10:00 PM
It doesnt need to immitate to kill. It could just turn into a T-Rex, and bite its head off.

Imagine one of those coming apart. Eww NASTY!

Sock Munkey
2005-Jun-16, 02:07 PM
Human stomach acid is rather weak. When someone vomits it stings the unprotected mouth and throat but the flesh isn't promtly dissolved into goo.

We know Thing cells can *structuraly* imitate every cell in the body but probably not *chemically* as a thing cell must remain a Thing cell. A Thing-human probabaly doesn't make stomach acid.

Remember, the doctor was able to tell a Thing cell from a normal one by analyzing it.

publiusr
2005-Jun-16, 05:06 PM
That is true--though what we saw on the screen was a simulation--we never actually saw it under a microsope. Blair must have known that he would have had to have been infected with the bloody autopsy of the dog/Things. He went gun-happy, and then tried to hang-himself.

That must have been how Mac knew that he had turned--he saw the noose--but that Blair no longer wanted to hang himself and wanted to come back inside.

The ALIEN may be different enough to be immune from the thing--but the Alien is plastic enough to use a far less acid human as an incubator, so it has no problem overcoming differing ph levels.