PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about 6" Catadioptic Newtonian

lakedawgs
2005-May-03, 12:57 PM
Hello,
Have used a cheapie 60mm for few years on and off and am ready to move up to a 6" newtonian with an equitorial mount.
How are the catadioptic scopes? I have found a 6", 1400mm, equitorial mount w/ a couple of eyepieces new for about $150.
I just don't know if this is a good deal.
I mostly want basic viewing, planets, moon, etc, but don't want to have to upgrade for a while, I figure a 6" should keep me happy for basic family viewing.
Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I need to stay under $200; wife/baby etc.

crosscountry
2005-May-03, 04:09 PM
a good equitorial mount will cost you $200.

I think Orion makes good Dobsonsion telescopes. 6in would be about $200.

That's not a plug or advertizement, I'm just answering a question.

lakedawgs
2005-May-03, 05:02 PM
After more research I have read some bad things about that scope on eBay.
Orion has some nice stuff but these look better as they include the electronic goto controls.
These are Meade scopes.
Telestar DS2130AT 5" mirror, with the 490 Autostar Control (1400 object database, $165.00 total
or
Telestar DS114ATE 4 1/2" mirror, with the 494 Autostar Control (1400 object database, $149.00 total
These are from Meade with a one year warranty.
Better safe than stupid.
Still doing research before I pull the trigger on this.
Any thoughts, caveats or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Lakedawgs

JohnW
2005-May-03, 06:07 PM
I would be very careful about ordering a goto scope in this price range. Are the software and mount accurate enough for you to really find 1400 objects? Try before you buy, or at least make sure you can get a full refund if you're not happy.

Dobsonians have fewer bells and whistles, but in my opinion that's no bad thing. If you have a $200 budget, it's better to have a simple thing which does its job well than a complex thing which doesn't. Remember that every dollar you're spending on electronics is not being spent on optics.

crosscountry
2005-May-03, 06:36 PM
JohnW is right.

Often those scopes come with go to capability, but they hardware and software can cost hundreds more.

the tripods are usually less than stable giving poor images to you the observer.

Russ
2005-May-03, 08:45 PM
1) Both Astronomy Magazine and Sky & Telescope have excellent articles on how to buy a telescope on their web sites. I strongly encourage you to read both before you do anything else.
Astronomy How to buy a telescope (http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=ss&id=9)
S&T How to buy a telescope here. (http://skyandtelescope.com/howto/scopes/)

2) You don't say in your profile where you are, but most reasonable size towns/cities have an astronomy club of some kind. FIND THE ONE NEAREST YOU AND GO TO A STAR GAZE. This is not an option. You will find the people will be more than eager for you to look through and play with their scopes. They will tell you all of the things they like and all the things they don't like. This will allow you to decide what you like and don't so you can get the correct scope for you.

3) While you are at #2, you will almost always find someone selling a scope. If the one you want isn't available right away, just be patient, it will be.

4) The thing to remember with telescopes is that, aperture is everything. If you have the choice between a 3" ETX and 6" dob, the dob will amost certainly give you the better image.

Good luck and remember! When you buy something, you have to come back here and tell us all about it. :D