PDA

View Full Version : Major advance in understanding the programming of life....

junkyardfrog
2005-May-05, 04:34 AM
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/newsarch/2005/May05/DNAstructure.htm

Understanding DNA structure, the scientists say, is just as necessary as knowing gene sequence. The human genome project, with its detailed explanation of the genetic sequence of the entire human genome, is one side of the coin. The other side involves understanding how the three-dimensional structure of different types of DNA are defined by those sequences, and, ultimately, how that defines biological function.

"There can be 400 million nucleotides in a human chromosome, but only about 10 percent of them actually code for genes," said Pui Shing Ho, professor and chair of the OSU Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics. "The other 90 percent of the nucleotides may play different roles, such as regulating gene expression, and they often do that through variations in DNA structure.

"Now, for the first time, we're really starting to see what the genome looks like in three dimensional reality, not just what the sequence of genes is," Ho said. "DNA is much more than just a string of letters; it's an actual structure that we have to explore if we ever hope to understand biological function. This is a significant step forward, a milestone in DNA structural biology."

Tobin Dax
2005-May-05, 05:20 AM
Nice. I recognized one of the former undergrads listed from my Honors Chem class freshman year. I may not be published, but it's nice to see people I know are. :)

Dark Helmet
2005-May-05, 07:37 AM
luckily, DNA lacks those *******************************************ing semi-colons. And object orientation, and a brain-dead subset from the college board.

*1 guess at what I had to do this morning*