PDA

View Full Version : New Beginnings

planethollywood
2005-May-05, 12:50 PM
G'day all,
I know its been a while since i've posted but hey I've been busy, From buying a new house to having having my first child.....

I am considering leaving my current profession to find a more satisfying career. my problem is i haven't the slightest clue about what else to do.

So I was wondering if anyone here has made a midlife career change for the better? Let me known about it. It may help me rekindle a few dreams to know others have made the change and are better for it.

Oh and by the way we had a boy, 4.2 Kg, named Ashton Gordon Paul Dean . And by the sounds of it, it must be feeding time. gotta go, oh no its a nappy change, messy.

snowcelt
2005-May-05, 12:53 PM
congratulations. Looks like the lad is a bounder.

farmerjumperdon
2005-May-05, 01:04 PM
Close friend of mine had worked for 3 or 4 insurance companies (health insurance) over about 20 years. Decided he did not want to do it any more. Cashed in his retirement fund, went to school for a couple years, and is now a very successful landscape architect.

I think the hardest part is deciding what to do and then taking the leap. Once you commit, unless you have other issues, perserverance and hard work will win the day.

Swift
2005-May-05, 01:43 PM
Congrats planethollywood on the baby and the house. May they both sleep quietly through the night. :o :D
My wife has changed careers in mid-life. Her college degree was in social work and she did that for about ten years, but got burnt out. She did a variety of things after that, but mostly in the administrative assistant / secretary / executive secretary area. She thought for a while of getting into purchasing or sales, and even did some course work on both of those. She settled on human resources in the past two years, got her certificate in HR from a local community college, and now has a position at a local university in the dean's office. 80% of her job is still administrative assistant type stuff, but the other 20% is HR.

I think two of the hardest things for her was first settling on an area that she liked, would be good at, and had the possibility of jobs, and then, once she got the training, of getting hired. A lot of companies aren't interested in a 50 something with a new career.

farmerjumperdon
2005-May-05, 03:35 PM
My wife has made a couple of dramatic moves. Post-college she worked about 10 years in advertising (Dayton's, now part of the Target empire), tired of it and became a Flight Attendant (do not use the S word), then left that after 7 years when we decided to have a family.

Once the kids started school she started training as a fitness instructor and now teaches all kinds of classes at the 3 YMCA's in our area. She is certified in weight training, aerobics, pilates & yoga. The money stinks but the results are impressive - nudge nudge, know what I mean.

Strange, she keeps making less and less money but enjoying life more and more - nudge nudge, say no more. :D

planethollywood
2005-May-08, 03:20 PM
Thanks people for your views, I still seem to be struggling to find a vocation I want to persue. Maybe I should just be thankful for what i have rather than what I haven't. I just though i was going to do more with myself.

I asked my work mates about this and they feel similar to me. Working in a thankless job , surrounded by customers who do things like ring you up because its urgent and when you take their call they put you on hold.

Anyway we ended up singing this little ditti:

When I was young I was full of potential,
I could of done anything,
But I lacked focus, and now I'm here.....

I hate being in a high stress low reward job. I can feel it effect my health all the time, even our operations manager had to go to hospital last week because of chest pains...

Anyway thats my rant for the week. I have to go to bed now and toss and turn all night, just so i can stress some more tomorrow.

catch ya later my mateys.

farmerjumperdon
2005-May-08, 03:48 PM
Sounds like you are struggling to find your DMP (Definite Major Purpose). Focus on the search from the perspective of What I Love To Do, instead of from a strictly vocational point of view. Once uncovered, pursue it relentlessly. The rest will follow.

Don't fret if it does not come to you quickly and easily, good things rarely do. And forget about what others say you Should Do. People doing great things always meet resistance.

Stay true to your heart and life will be fun, regardless of the final destination. OK, a few cliche-sounding bits there, but very true.

Candy
2005-May-09, 05:07 PM
When I decided to return to school 2 years ago, that was a major life change for me. I had to cut out sleep and a social life. But I graduate next month, with honors, in a field of study I love. I'm still undecided about pursuing the Masters, because I am getting burnt out. It's hard to be 2 people "trapped" in one body.

I'm just thankful this decision, thus far, has helped me keep a job I love so much. Due to the financial situation of my company, I'm still scared about my future. A degree will help with job security, but it is not set in stone. A Masters will most likely lock in job security, but another two years + of AP courses will probably kill me.

Congratulations on the BABY! :D