PDA

View Full Version : Cinco de Mayo

Jim
2005-May-05, 04:37 PM
Cinco de Mayo is a commemoration of a battle in which the French army was defeated by the less trained and less equipped Mexican troops on May 5, 1862.

The French occupation took shape in the aftermath of the Mexican-American War of 1846-48. Years of not only fighting the Americans but also a Mexican Civil War, had left Mexico devastated and bankrupt. On July 17, 1861, President Benito Juárez issued a moratorium in which all foreign debt payments would be suspended for a brief period of two years, with the promise that after this period, payments would resume.

The English, Spanish and French refused to allow President Juárez to do this, and instead decided to invade Mexico and get payments by whatever means necessary. The Spanish and English eventually withdrew, but the French refused to leave. Their intention was to create an Empire in Mexico under Napoleon III. At the time, the French Army of Napoleon III was considered the premier army in the world. President Juárez sent troops, under the command of General Ignacio Zaragosa, to Puebla to confront the French. On the 5th of May 1862 despite tremendous odds, the humble Mexican Army defeated the most powerful fighting unit in the world. With this victory, Mexico demonstrated to the world that Mexico and all of Latin America were willing to defend themselves against any foreign intervention.

If it had not been for the victory, France would have aided the South in the American Civil War in order to free Southern ports of the Union Blockade. During this time, Confederate General Robert E. Lee was enjoying success, and French intervention could have had an impact on the US Civil War.

Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of freedom and liberty, ideals which Mexicans and Americans share in many ways.

ˇVIVA el CINCO de MAYO!

Candy
2005-May-05, 05:02 PM
My how times have changed for Cinco de Mayo here in Chicago. :wink:

Sam5
2005-May-05, 06:05 PM
Out here in New Mexico we celebrate Cinco de Mayo because of the great victory of Juarez, but never because of the victory of General Grant.

Candy
2005-May-05, 06:23 PM
Out here in New Mexico we celebrate Cinco de Mayo because of the great victory of Juarez, but never because of the victory of General Grant.
So it's just another Thursday, since both cancel each other out? :wink:

Sam5
2005-May-05, 06:29 PM

No, we just don’t think much about the civil war out here, or Grant. What we think about out here is how to gradually move Aztlan Northeastward more rapidly.

Candy
2005-May-05, 06:34 PM

No, we just don’t think much about the civil war out here, or Grant. What we think about out here is how to gradually move Aztlan Northeastward more rapidly.
I'm thinking you made that up, right? 8-[

Bob
2005-May-05, 06:34 PM
Don't move northwest or you'll have to deal with the TERMINATOR.

Sam5
2005-May-05, 06:44 PM
Don't move northwest or you'll have to deal with the TERMINATOR.

Northwesterners don’t try to tell the rest of us how to think. Northeasterners do. We’ll be playing the El Deguello on the outskirts of Washington in just a few years.

Gillianren
2005-May-05, 08:51 PM
hey, Jim, I'm not sure the French could have ever come in on the side of the South. I think the main reason no European nation ever came in on either side of the war was that, while they needed Southern cotton, they would have had a moral problem w/joining the side of slavery when they had abolished it in their own country a long time (well, a few decades, maybe) before.

I'm aware that it's considered passe to say the Civil War was about slavery, but I'm not sure it's actually wrong. (what states' right were they fighting for? it wasn't the right to design their own roadmaps, you know.)

Lurker
2005-May-05, 09:26 PM
Oh gods!! Doesn't this fall on the fifth this year?? 8-[

Coincidence or is it A portent of doom like a planetary alignment!! :o

:wink:

Sam5
2005-May-05, 09:32 PM
Oh gods!! Doesn't this fall on the fifth this year?? 8-[

Coincidence or is it A portent of doom like a planetary alignment!! :o

:wink:

Yikes! This is actually Cinco de Cinco de Cinco!!

mopc
2005-May-05, 09:40 PM
Oh, so that's what Cinco de Mayo is! I thought it was a store on a Seinfeld episode. Like most Brazilians, I know little about Hispanic history. Thanks for sharing, I've always wanted to know more about Mexican history and the French invasion.

Sam5
2005-May-05, 09:45 PM
Oh, so that's what Cinco de Mayo is! I thought it was a store on a Seinfeld episode. Like most Brazilians, I know little about Hispanic history. Thanks for sharing, I've always wanted to know more about Mexican history and the French invasion.

Hey, I was in San Juan Costa Rica one time, and I was watching a cowboy movie on TV. I thought the language was Spanish, but I noticed the film had Spanish sub-titles. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out the film was made in Brazil.

mopc
2005-May-05, 09:59 PM

Hey, I was in San Juan Costa Rica one time, and I was watching a cowboy movie on TV. I thought the language was Spanish, but I noticed the film had Spanish sub-titles. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out the film was made in Brazil.

A Brazilian *cowboy* movie? I hope I never catch that one!!!!

tlbs101
2005-May-05, 10:27 PM
My favorite joke about CdM (apologies to all spanish-speaking folk):

I would love to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, if I could just figure out when it is.
:lol:

Sam5
2005-May-05, 11:44 PM

Diezyseis de Septiembre is Mexican Independence Day, but we don’t celebrate it here because we can’t pronounce it. :D

Sam5
2005-May-05, 11:49 PM
Mexican movie night on TCM:

Starting at 8 PM Eastern:

Los Olvidados
Nazarin
Viridiana

Sigma_Orionis
2005-May-06, 12:20 AM

Hmmmm maybe I am thick but I am not quite sure why you are apologizing...... either because Cinco de Mayo is May 5th or because CdM is the acronym for a well known example of foul language in spanish....... :lol:

Jim
2005-May-06, 12:35 PM
hey, Jim, I'm not sure the French could have ever come in on the side of the South. I think the main reason no European nation ever came in on either side of the war was that, while they needed Southern cotton, they would have had a moral problem w/joining the side of slavery when they had abolished it in their own country a long time (well, a few decades, maybe) before.

I'm aware that it's considered passe to say the Civil War was about slavery, but I'm not sure it's actually wrong. (what states' right were they fighting for? it wasn't the right to design their own roadmaps, you know.)

A difference in morality has never kept any nation (including the US) from siding with another if there was an economic advanatge to such an alliance. Never underestimate the power of the dollar (pound, yen, shekel... ). The South was then - as it is now - the major supplier of cotton, and European textile mills were very dependent on their supply.

Both England and France were providing support for the Confederacy, but primarily non-overtly. Both sold hard goods to the South, including arms and munitions. Confederate raiders (like the Alabama) were allowed to use, resupply and refit at English and French ports; in fact, the captain of the Alabama was on the "A" guest list in both countries. Had the South been able to post a major victory (say, win at Gettysburg), it is possible that one or both would have granted diplomatic recognition and more overt support.

After Puebla, France continued to control Mexico, though not be in control. This unrest kept France from playing a larger role in breaking the Union blockade; supplies were landed at Mexican ports and shipped overland to Texas and the South, but not nearly in as massive a way as could have been done.

If you really want to discuss states rights and the War Between the States (only dam'yankees insist on calling it the "Civil War" :wink: ), that could be a whole 'nother thread. (You're aware that the South offered emancipation to any slave willing to join the Confederate Army?)

Swift
2005-May-06, 12:38 PM

That's like the old joke:
"Do they have the 4th of July in China?"
"Sure, they don't celebrate it as a holiday, but they have the date."
#-o :D

Sam5
2005-May-06, 12:49 PM
Colorado Cinco de Mayo celebrations:

Grand Junction May 1
Cortez May 2
Ridgeway May 4

source (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:Fpu3_S3ALzgJ:www.westernstylemagazi ne.com/events/calendar_co.html+cinco+de+mayo+may+8+cortez+colora do&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8)