PDA

View Full Version : I dodged a bullet (I think)...

Charlie in Dayton
2005-May-06, 03:11 AM
...but it looked so sweet...

A 4" f/10 motorized Meade SCT, advertised as 'The Poor Man's Questar'...motor drives, the stick legs for EQ use, big ol' square carrying case...the pitchers showed some accessories, but the details weren't listed.

There was a lot of puffery in the ad, but I didn't see a whole lot of facts.

I emailed the seller three times, asking (and then begging) for info, but no response; the last message said I was VERY interested, but couldn't justify the expense if my questions weren't answered...I mean, how much more obvious could I have been?

A relist due to no takers, and no reserve...

$200...and still no takers...no bids AT ALL...

Half of me is patting myself on the back, and the other half is kicking myself in the buttox...

Guess I'll never know...

tmosher
2005-May-06, 04:26 AM
That's probably a Meade 2045 from the late 1980's/early 1990's. So you're looking at a 15 year old telescope.

If you're interested, take a look at page 38 of

Uncle Rod's Used SCT Guide (http://skywatch.brainiac.com/sct-user/usedSCT.PDF)

Here's the manual for the 2045 (if that's what it is):

2045 Manual (http://www.astronomics.com/main/documents/new_scan_docs/2045.pdf)

I have, however, seen these SCTs used as guide scopes for larger instruments.

The big question is - what shape are the optics in? The primary mirror may or may not have problems. It's all hit and miss.

Tom

Charlie in Dayton
2005-May-06, 05:22 AM
He's relisted it (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7513987531&ssPage Name=STRK:MEWA:IT)...but if my questions don't get answered, d@mn3d if I'm bidding...

...'course, if this gets down any further, it may very well be worth a shot...

darkhunter
2005-May-06, 07:01 AM
1. If it hasn't sold before, whats wrong with it?

2. If the seller won't answer your questions, whats wrong with it?

3. ....

I think you right to take a pass...there may very well be a legit reason for the relist and lack of answers, but is it worth taking the chance?

Paul Beardsley
2005-May-06, 12:15 PM
My general stance on this sort of thing is, if they won't even reply when you want to buy, what will they be like when you want to complain?

Best left, IMO.

Tensor
2005-May-06, 03:52 PM
As my wife is the Ebay expert (30-50 transactions a week) in the house, I talked to her about it and she said it would probably be best to stay away from it. The probability is the seller either knows it's in bad shape and doesn't want to answer, or doesn't know anything about it, which means it's a crapshoot. If you still want to go for it, check the sellers ratings and what other people have said about the seller. At least, that way, you are going in with some idea of how the seller handled past transactions (after all, others may have gotten good things from the seller, but email communication was not the sellers strong point).

Charlie in Dayton
2005-May-10, 07:30 AM
Looks like it got too tempting...after sitting there at $175, after five days it's zoomed all the way up to $177.50...

Discretion is the better part of valor. Let 'em fight it out...I'm just now getting the overheating alarm on my credit card to stop buzzing...

jfribrg
2005-May-11, 04:31 PM
I wonder how many folks bid on it after reading this post

Charlie in Dayton
2005-May-11, 10:11 PM
A total of four bids, and it went for $193.50 -- not a whisper at $300, but close to the second listing reserve of $200...

I still wonder why he didn't answer my questions...he might have sucked me in if he had...