PDA

View Full Version : Calculus textbook author dies at 80

Swift
2005-May-09, 06:11 PM
The Calculus textbook that I used, and probably a lot of you too.

Louis Leithold, who wrote one of the most widely used calculus textbooks and helped change the way the subject is taught, has died. He was 80.
CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/05/09/obit.leithold.ap/index.html)

I remember the cover of the addition I used (from around 1980) had a lit stylized desk lamp on the front cover, and an un-lit one on the back cover. I always thought of that as turn on the desk lamp, read the entire book, and then turn the lamp off. I also thought the lamp was a play on his name "Light-hold". :D

I'm sure the calculus puns will start now. :wink:

Candy
2005-May-09, 06:59 PM
May he rest in pieces. :(

Grey
2005-May-09, 07:29 PM
I'm sure the calculus puns will start now. :wink:
Okay, I tried to resist, but, yes, he was integral to the modern teaching of calculus. But alas, all of us have our limits. I expect the funeral will be a solemn function.

Tensor
2005-May-09, 07:35 PM
His textbook was the deriving force behind new methods of teaching calculus.

***ducks, runs, and dodges***

Donnie B.
2005-May-09, 07:40 PM
It was easy to differentiate his work from that of other textbook authors.

Maksutov
2005-May-09, 09:39 PM
I heard that some biologists have already bought his house and will be moving in shortly. Oh well, there goes the punctured neighborhood! :roll:

Astronot
2005-May-09, 10:09 PM
His textbook was the deriving force behind new methods of teaching calculus. and his methods have been integrated into the best texts of today.

rleyland
2005-May-09, 11:57 PM
His textbook was the deriving force behind new methods of teaching calculus. and his methods have been integrated into the best texts of today.

Many of these are simply derivative works...

Normandy6644
2005-May-10, 01:03 AM
I don't want to be around for his exponential decay...

Nowhere Man
2005-May-10, 02:25 AM
[insert bitter rant about calcuseless and the time it wasted for me and what it did to my grades here] :(

Fred

frogesque
2005-May-10, 09:17 AM
I will mourn him, partially.