PDA

View Full Version : New/old topic. Sylvia Brown

Wally
2005-May-11, 03:39 PM
She's on Montel (her biggest "fan") again today. They just had a feature where some mother was all a tither because she heard a man's voice over the baby monitor "talking" to her daughter. [for those who may not know, it's very common for the receivers to pick up stray cell/cordless signals like this]

According to Ms. Brown, it was Erin, the baby's "spirit guide". She then went on to say how great baby monitors are, because they prove beyond a doubt the exitence of the paranormal.

What a crock! :x

. . . sorry for the venting, but I've been spending lots of time reading Randi's archived weekly write-ups over at JREF. Great stuff, but it sure has got me wrankled when it comes to crooks like Brown, Edwards, etc.

Captain Kidd
2005-May-11, 03:50 PM
Hmm, I need her to come over and explain why our monitor regularly picks up an odd rythmic static at 11 PM every night.

Actually I would like to know what it is. It happens too frequently and it's too defined to be random static.

WaxRubiks
2005-May-11, 04:19 PM
Hmm, I need her to come over and explain why our monitor regularly picks up an odd rythmic static at 11 PM every night.

Actually I would like to know what it is. It happens too frequently and it's too defined to be random static.

could it be some sort of electric generator?

Swift
2005-May-11, 04:58 PM
She's on Montel (her biggest "fan") again today. They just had a feature where some mother was all a tither because she heard a man's voice over the baby monitor "talking" to her daughter. [for those who may not know, it's very common for the receivers to pick up stray cell/cordless signals like this]

According to Ms. Brown, it was Erin, the baby's "spirit guide". She then went on to say how great baby monitors are, because they prove beyond a doubt the exitence of the paranormal.

What a crock! :x

. . . sorry for the venting, but I've been spending lots of time reading Randi's archived weekly write-ups over at JREF. Great stuff, but it sure has got me wrankled when it comes to crooks like Brown, Edwards, etc.
Obviously a crock. EVERYONE knows that male spirit guides are never named Erin. #-o
:wink:

enginelessjohn
2005-May-12, 08:35 AM
So thats why making radios work quietly is so difficult, it is spirits from the afterlife trying to communicate with me........ :roll:

Forget electronic engineering, I'm going to become a medium. Well I will be after I go on a diet......

As for interference, a 30 second google led me to

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question333.htm

Which is about baby monitors. You'll see that they work around 50MHz, a crowded noisy bit of the low VHF band. So it will be something in there....

Cheers
John

Enzp
2005-May-12, 08:54 AM
Does the rhythmic static persist the rest of the night? Is there a nearby traffic signal that goes over to blink cycle about that time? Take an AM radio and tune it to the high and low ends of the dial - not on a station - and listen. Does that pick it up? AM tends to be directional, and yu may be able to "sight" the source.

sarongsong
2005-May-12, 09:04 AM
...EVERYONE knows that male spirit guides are never named Erin. #-o
:wink:I learned that the hard way several years ago when I presented an "Aaron's Room" placquard as a Christmas gift to a young female, only to be informed that was the male spelling of the name--- #-o , and later exchanged it for "Erin's Room".

DroneFour
2005-May-12, 09:05 AM
That horrible fraud is another reason I can't listen to Coast to Coast AM anymore.

captain swoop
2005-May-12, 10:54 AM

Something modulating the mains?
I know that in the UK the supply companies send out signals to the Electricity meters to switch them over to the 'cheap' night rate for those wtih storage heaters, they are on a seperate supply.

Captain Kidd
2005-May-12, 11:25 AM
I should clarify that that's not the only time it does that. Off and on during the day it will too but I've never bothered to try to time it so see if it happens regularly like the 11 PM one. I'd probably end up wearing a tinfoil hat after that. :D

My guess is that we're picking up some sort of bleed from a synchronization sequence. Or, we do live fairly near to an airport approach lane, so it could be something there as a regularly scheduled flight comes in. Who knows. It's no big deal other than for about a minute we get some noise and it's not extremely loud either so if we're asleep, it doesn't wake us. It's only when I'm at that not quite asleep, not quite awake point that it bothers me as I snap back awake for a second thinking it's a suspicious noise in the house.