PDA

View Full Version : Watch out 'The Replicators' have arrived.....

Mainframes
2005-May-12, 06:02 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4538547.stm

Only a toy demonstration, but didn't the replicators start out as just a toy.....! :o

Jim
2005-May-12, 06:19 PM
Made NPR, too.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4648659

kucharek
2005-May-12, 07:33 PM
Saying they reproduce or replicate is a pretty stretch in my opinion. They can put together modules to get more working robots. When an industrial robot puts together a few parts of an industrial robot to get a new one, I wouldn't call this reproduction or replication.
But the basic concept is interesting, making robots from lots of identical parts that can easily be replaced or adapted. A little bit like a biological entity built from cells.

Lurker
2005-May-12, 08:02 PM
IT HAS BEGUN :o

The extinction of Homo Sapiens shall inevitably follow 8-[

PatKelley
2005-May-12, 09:09 PM
At current doubling rates of miniaturization, and starting from a building block size of 10cm, these will be roughly cell-sized (10 microns or less) in about twenty-two and a half years. Meaning your robot will eat special powdery "robot chow" made of building block bits to repair itself.

electromagneticpulse
2005-May-12, 09:52 PM
Me no likey! I don't think it is right to let robots reproduce on their own (I know this isn't reproduction) as it could take only a few human errors to screw it up. They should be controlled by a central hub that needs direct input from a human to get it to be able to reproduce.

This could be a good technology, but it should be used in a biomorphic technique similar to the replicators in stargate where they change shape to accomplish a task. You could give the robot I guess it is sensors to scout out other blocks to accomplish a task. I could get those robots to make 50 billion of themselves but if they can't accomplish a simple or necessary task then they're not worth the junk they're made of.

Gullible Jones
2005-May-12, 10:00 PM
At current doubling rates of miniaturization, and starting from a building block size of 10cm, these will be roughly cell-sized (10 microns or less) in about twenty-two and a half years. Meaning your robot will eat special powdery "robot chow" made of building block bits to repair itself.

Why would the miniaturization rate stay linear?

Amadeus
2005-May-13, 08:07 AM
If it made copies of itself out of raw materials then it would be true repoduction. Still it's a start...

collegeguy
2005-May-13, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't think that until they could develop artificial intelligence and individuality to the point of free will and making decisions. Robots may be able to "reproduce", but they will still do only what they are programmed to do.

kucharek
2005-May-13, 04:44 PM

I wouldn't think that until they could develop artificial intelligence and individuality to the point of free will and making decisions. Robots may be able to "reproduce", but they will still do only what they are programmed to do.

Well, some bacteria and viruses have no intelligence, individuality, free will and they don't make decisions. But they have the potential to extinct homo sapiens. It doesn't need something smarter than us to kill us.

PatKelley
2005-May-13, 04:46 PM

Why would the miniaturization rate stay linear?

Just applying Moore's Law for fun. Halving the size every eighteen months from an initial 10cm.

collegeguy
2005-May-13, 07:18 PM

Well, some bacteria and viruses have no intelligence, individuality, free will and they don't make decisions. But they have the potential to extinct homo sapiens. It doesn't need something smarter than us to kill us.

You're right, but in order for robots to kill us all, they would have to turn on us, which they cannot "decide" to do. Bacteria are living organisms whose functions may already be a threat to Homo Sapiens.

collegeguy
2005-May-13, 07:20 PM

You're right, but in order for robots to kill us all, they would have to turn on us, which they cannot "decide" to do. Bacteria are living organisms can have functions that are already a threat to Homo Sapiens.

:oops: double post.

Glom
2005-May-13, 07:24 PM
First a long winter...

Then old alliances die (in Bethnal Green)...

Then the Doom of the Gods.

collegeguy
2005-May-13, 07:29 PM
First a long winter...

Then old alliances die (in Bethnal Green)...

Then the Doom of the Gods.

I am sorry :oops: , but I don't get it.

Glom
2005-May-13, 07:42 PM
What killed the Norse gods?

electromagneticpulse
2005-May-13, 08:30 PM
What killed the Norse gods?

Loki lead the Jotnar (as he was one) against the Aesir at Ragnarok leading to their destruction, IIRC.

Glom
2005-May-13, 08:33 PM
Yes, and that was because of the bugs. The bugs are coming to destroy the Gods and we are seeing the beginning of Ragnarok.

electromagneticpulse
2005-May-13, 08:38 PM
...and we are seeing the beginning of Ragnarok.

Well I'm off to get my axe and traditional Nordic shield then... no sense in being unprepared 8)

collegeguy
2005-Jun-04, 06:36 PM
Look at the evolutionof this robot. It seems like it is going to be pretty useful in security. I have already seen a bunch of paranoids croaking doom over this. They say they will soon be too smart and will realize that they can exterminate us :o (ala terminator). Honestly, I don't think we are close to that. I think it will be a long time before robots can do things besides what they are programmed to do. But you know people from GLP or planetdoom :evil: (other woowoo site)

http://www.nosc.mil/robots/land/robart/robart.html