PDA

View Full Version : Give me one coffin...and supersize it!

Maksutov
2005-May-13, 03:43 AM
Since Americans are getting bigger, it's not just clothes sizes than are on the increase. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/afplifestylecoffinus) Gives a whole new meaning to the term "wide body". Could this be the A380 of the undertaking set? :o

N C More
2005-May-13, 11:37 AM
I think things are starting to change. I just saw this documentary, Supersize Me. (http://www.supersizeme.com/home.aspx) After viewing this even my 17 year old son no longer will eat this sort of *food* (I use the term loosely). Hopefully, the need for very many of these jumbo coffins will diminish as we start to think about what we are putting into our bodies and what it's doing to us!

tmosher
2005-May-13, 11:49 AM
Since Americans are getting bigger, it's not just clothes sizes than are on the increase. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/afplifestylecoffinus) Gives a whole new meaning to the term "wide body". Could this be the A380 of the undertaking set? :o

...and oversize burial plots.

I feel sorry for the pall bearers.

mythrealwriter
2005-May-13, 05:09 PM
Simply put, I think that obese people really shouldn't be obese without good reason, I know a guy, a very good friend of mine, who is in a wheel chair, he has no use of his legs and his arms are only two thirds of how long they should be. He's overweight because he can not do anything about it, he can't excersize and though he doesn't eat very much and what he does eat is healthy he has no way to work off excess weight. but other than a medical problem I don't think people should be as heavy as they are. Its kinda gross.

PatKelley
2005-May-13, 08:00 PM
Combination of caloric density, increased sedentary lifestyle, and our own biology. Our bodies learn what foods we need for certain vitamins and protiens and the like, and eventually tune the appetite to crave these foods. This despite the fact that some of them border on palatable, they are delicious when our bodies need them. Like me and Feta cheese fresh out of its brine. I can eat an entire helping just with the cheese, me and a knife when I have a craving, but other times it sits in the fridge unloved for weeks.

For one, I'd not sweeten children's vitamins anymore, even artificially. I think this leads to our bodies learning that sweet things have everything we need, which very often is not the case. As a result, we fall into a recurring loop of craving vitamins, minerals, and protiens, and consuming sweet things to get them when they don't have them.

I keep my son off of soda, and he's showing a preference for milk and fruit juice now, with a minimum of sweetened drinks.

But then, what does one do about people who have legitimate metabolic problems? How are they supposed to not be "gross" when their own body shuts down their metabolism at the age of 22, and never starts it back up, it results in their fainting and shortness of breath with any exercise, and weight gain despite less than 1000 calorie a day diets?

Gillianren
2005-May-13, 09:39 PM
I don't think preventing kids from getting sweets will solve the problem. why do I say this? well, we hardly ever got soda when I was a kid. two or three six packs for three kids for six weeks--soda for special occasions. as soon as we had money of our own, we bought a ton of it, or at least I did, because we felt so deprived. I know a lot of people who go crazy about something their parents kept them from having as soon as parental pressure was removed.

no, I think teaching moderation is the key. there's nothing wrong w/having sugar occasionally, but you shouldn't live on it. likewise the occasional fried food. (yes, I have really lousy eating habits, but I'm talking ideally, here.)

I also think making kids go outside to play instead of playing video games would help. I was the best tree-climber for blocks when I was a kid, and probably the best stilt-walker for miles. (not many stilt walkers in 1980s Altadena.)

frankly, I think it's too easy to blame the fast food companies. they wouldn't be in business if they weren't so popular, right?

paulie jay
2005-May-14, 04:17 AM
I read once that there are less actual seats in Yankee Stadium these days because over the years they have had to increase the seat size - it's probably not true but somehow it seemed to fit in this thread.

Enzp
2005-May-14, 05:29 AM
As a card carrying fatso, let me tell you it is not a simple equation.

My parents were depression era people, and I am of the clean up your plate generation. It was drummed into us continuously - you eat what is on your plate period. Decdes later, no matter what intellectual arguments you present, I feel real guilt if I leave food on the plate. I do take doggie bags, and I will make a meal out of the leftovers, and that helps, but If I am full and there is not enough for a meal, I will have to fight not to cram it down. Don't do that to your kids.

DOn't make food a reward either, it teaches you to think in terms of eating things. You rkids have hope if you train them right. It is a lot harder for someone in his middle ages to stop seeing the chef as a hero. FIne dining is a hobby as is fine cooking, and I am sorry but low fat mozzerella and plain greens is not a treat. Maybe to you. I don't watch tennis, I watch Iron Chef.

Shrimp are great, but you can only eat them so much of the time.

Watch out for those juices, they are full of sugar. APple juice especially. They may have additional nutrients but they are not diet food.

It is easy to pick on MacDonalds, but go to any restaurant and chow down every day on the largest offerings and you will pudge out. Plenty of calories in the salad bar to be had.

Get the kids out of the house. Phys ed is being deleted from school programs, amazingly enough. Not only do the kids lose the exercise, but they also are less likely to generate an interest in sports. 50 years ago we had softball and baseball games in the streets of our neighborhods, we played football in our yards. Now none of that happens. Six guys could play a pickup game, but now unless it is an orhanized sport like little league it rarely happens. At least put up a volleybal net at picnics. Little Bobby is not getting any exercise because they cancelled hockey at school.

Make sports fun. There is something in between couch potato adn driving your son to be the next first round draft pick. Make sports a job and the kids rebel.

But even that is not a given success. A while back I wanted to lose some weight, so I joined Nautilus. Every othre day I diligently spent my hour on the machines. Three years later I hadn't lost an ouce, but I was strong as an ox, and twice as smart.

My doctor wants me to get exercise, but my arthritis makes it dificult. Walking is OK sometimes, but runnign is out. That limits my opportunities. Many of us as we age find increasing impediments to exercise.

There is a lot more to leaning up AMerican than "putting down that donut."

Gillianren
2005-May-14, 09:56 PM
right on! the reason I don't walk on stilts or climb trees anymore is my arthritis, but when I was a kid, you could tell who were the select few who'd gotten Nintendo (ah, the 80s) because they stopped playing outside.

now, I was a desperately uncoordinated child in most aspects, and it was that--and the other kids--who made sports not terribly fun for me. however, we went for a lot of walks--and still do, as often as my knees'll let me. that's exercise, too, and plenty better for you than, well, this.