PDA

View Full Version : 1st Underwater Restaurant

sarongsong
2005-May-14, 06:45 PM
Hilton Maldives Resort & Spa (http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10001495.shtml)
"...situated five meters below the Indian Ocean...The five-meter by nine-meter transparent arch, which spans the entire room, seats 14 people and provides a feeling of being completely at one with the underwater world..."
http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/uploads/hilton_maldives_resort_n_spa_launches_ithaa.jpeg

frogesque
2005-May-14, 07:10 PM
Neat venture: looks like they've employed a cycloidal arch for the roof dome segments.

Zachary
2005-May-14, 07:19 PM
wow...

frogesque
2005-May-14, 07:22 PM
wow...

Yep, gives a whole new meaning to 'bottom feeders' 8)

Maksutov
2005-May-14, 09:56 PM
Imagine if something like this were located in the Potomac in DC. It would give a new phrase to the language, "According to news leaked from a low government source today, Condoleezza Rice boiled over yesterday as a result of..."

MrObvious
2005-May-15, 11:33 AM
Do they serve sea food????

Melusine
2005-May-15, 04:44 PM
Imagine if something like this were located in the Potomac in DC. It would give a new phrase to the language, "According to news leaked from a low government source today, Condoleezza Rice boiled over yesterday as a result of..."
Yeah, with all the icky effluence (http://www.nwi.org/SpecialStudies/WashConsProject/DumpingPhotos.html) from D.C., it would be murky viewing indeed!

Now, the Maldives...the Travel Channel always has that as a Top Ten "beaches" contender...I would love to go there. The restaurant idea is not new, as the "Hedonism" resort in Jamaica has a restaurant/bar where diners view the inside of the pool that the guests swim in. I don't know though, I think I'd rather look at fish with gills rather than the "out-of-shape-Joe-having-a-mid-life-crisis-wearing-some-gawd-awful-Speedo-thinking-it-will-attract-other-fish-and-who-can't tred-water-gracefully variety (never been there, but heard).

sarongsong
2005-May-15, 08:57 PM
Well, it does solve the 'Can-we-get-a-window-table?' plaint. :D
Wonder if the sea creatures consider the restaurant a smorgasboard preview for them... :P

mickal555
2005-May-15, 10:41 PM
woah... Hey thats awesome :D

Melusine
2005-May-16, 12:57 AM
Well, it does solve the 'Can-we-get-a-window-table?' plaint. :D
Wonder if the sea creatures consider the restaurant a smorgasboard preview for them... :P
I can almost see a potential movie with a theme heavy on the hyperbole, such as the lions trampling through the tent in "The Ghost in the Darkness," (you know that one with Val Kilmer). You'll have diners imbibing away with a school of hammerheads circling, then somehow the restaurant bubble breaks and the "evil" sharks come after the diners, one of whom was just proposed to in some earlier schmaltzy scene, another, the hero, an ichthyologist from Woods Hole who has studied sharks his whole life...Come to find out, the hammerheads were only after that plate of grilled swordfish with the creamy dill sauce...

In reality, there are plenty of sharks around the Maldives: hammerheads, grey reef sharks, bull sharks, and some others, as well as manta rays, but as divers know, they don't bother you until you bother them.

paulie jay
2005-May-16, 01:51 AM
That looks fantastic!