PDA

View Full Version : My interview on Slacker Astronomy

The Bad Astronomer
2005-May-18, 11:44 PM
I'm not sure how many people read my blog (http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog) or my main page (http://www.badastronomy.com), so I'll mention here I was interviewed again by the folks at Slacker Astronomy. We had a pretty good time!

You can download it here. (http://www.somethingpositive.net/050517-slackextra.mp3)

Moose
2005-May-19, 12:23 AM
Yeah, I listened to it this morning. Sounded great once they got your level stabilized. :)

Lurker
2005-May-19, 12:36 AM
So THAT'S what the BA sounds like!! :o

Maksutov
2005-May-19, 02:41 AM
So THAT'S what the BA sounds like!! :o
What? With all his TV and radio appearances, and your having been on the BABB since 20011022, you've never heard him before? I take it this means you've never seen him as of now, except in still photographs. :o

mickal555
2005-May-19, 03:27 AM
I'm going to tune in tonight

Jim
2005-May-19, 12:55 PM
... I take it this means you've never seen him as of now, except in still photographs.

Uh, if you're referring to the BA's Penn and Teller appearance, that wasn't a "still photo," he was just standing very, very still.

Melusine
2005-May-19, 12:57 PM
I thought it was good, funny too, with that weird guy in the beginning--who is that again? I've never heard the BA's voice either, because it often takes so long to download and I don't listen to radio. I was pleasantly surprised over the BA's voice--don't ask me why I thought it might be some whiny type, lol! But it wasn't, thankfully.

Also, the blog is being read and the picture of Gizmo on the CPU is cute. That cat has some long ago Siberian tiger in him if his nose is reddish with black outline. Is he a bit wild? Yeah, pets keep ya humble.

All in all, enjoyable, thanks. :D

Edit need to qualify: whenever I imagine what someone's voice might sound like, it usually turns out to be nasally or just not what I had imagined and floors me--no one wants to listen to a bad voice in public speaking!

Lurker
2005-May-19, 04:27 PM
I thought it was good, funny too, with that weird guy in the beginning--who is that again? I've never heard the BA's voice either, because it often takes so long to download and I don't listen to radio. I was pleasantly surprised over the BA's voice--don't ask me why I thought it might be some whiny type, lol! But it wasn't, thankfully.

Also, the blog is being read and the picture of Gizmo on the CPU is cute. That cat has some long ago Siberian tiger in him if his nose is reddish with black outline. Is he a bit wild? Yeah, pets keep ya humble.

All in all, enjoyable, thanks. :D

Edit need to qualify: whenever I imagine what someone's voice might sound like, it usually turns out to be nasally or just not what I had imagined and floors me--no one wants to listen to a bad voice in public speaking!

Now if he just had a little more hair!! :o

Say nice things about me on the banned posters thread!! 8)

Melusine
2005-May-19, 05:18 PM

Hair isn't that important. It's how you carry yourself. 8)

Say nice things about me on the banned posters thread!! 8
Don't you have a chive in your teeth to deal with? :wink:

Jorge
2005-May-19, 08:19 PM
I've head the BA on the frist slacker interview, only seen a few pics i think 3-5 and never seem him in motion picture, then again i'm not from the US.

Lurker
2005-May-19, 09:20 PM

Yeah... that's a rumor started by the "Hair Club for Men"... :wink:

Old News... I flossed since then!! [-(

Melusine
2005-May-19, 10:26 PM

Oh that reminds me of those commercials for the "spray can hair"...ugh, remember the guy sprayed the bald guy with the black stuff...ugh again. Hey, my ex-boyfriend's hair was sooo receded at 26...trust me, I wasn't paying attention to that.

=D> No chive. Need a new rumor.

Again, who was the guy in the beginning of that recording? The goofy guy who talked about Mad Cow disease and looking at the sun with binoculars for an hour (lol)? I mean, what's his story, not just his name.

Lurker
2005-May-19, 10:51 PM

Oh that reminds me of those commercials for the "spray can hair"...ugh, remember the guy sprayed the bald guy with the black stuff...ugh again. Hey, my ex-boyfriend's hair was sooo receded at 26...trust me, I wasn't paying attention to that.

Well, I would have no idea... my hair flows down my back... my Persian is jealous because mine is longer and more beautiful then hers!! 8)

Say nice things about me on the banned posters thread!! 8)

=D> No chive. Need a new rumor.

Again, who was the guy in the beginning of that recording? The goofy guy who talked about Mad Cow disease and looking at the sun with binoculars for an hour (lol)? I mean, what's his story, not just his name.
It was a recording of an old Saturday Live sketch. I forget the name of the cast member who played the part, but the character was the old announcer for Cubs Baseball Harry Carry (http://www.powermaxconsulting.com/HarryPicts.htm). The whole idea being that he was clueless about a lot of things, but that never stopped him, and cubs fans loved him for it!!! So who better to bring Astronomy to Cubs fans? Harry Carry!!! =D>

Now you got me with tears in my eyes... I do miss that old man... he was somethin' else. Read the memorial page... he was one of a kind!! :cry:

You want rumors?? You may go to GLP and inquire of Monique, but stay away from my Persian!! [-(

She knows way too much!!! 8-[

8)

Melusine
2005-May-19, 11:25 PM
Lurker wrote:
Harry Carry (http://www.powermaxconsulting.com/HarryPicts.htm). The whole idea being that he was clueless about a lot of things, but that never stopped him, and cubs fans loved him for it!!! So who better to bring Astronomy to Cubs fans? Harry Carry!!! =D>

Now you got me with tears in my eyes... I do miss that old man... he was somethin' else. Read the memorial page... he was one of a kind!! :cry:
Oh, the guy with the big glasses! Thanks for the link, I forgot about him. If they said the name I missed it...then the BA came in like thunder.

You want rumors?? You may go to GLP and inquire of Monique, but stay away from my Persian!! [-(
She knows way too much!!! 8-[
8)
Oh no, I don't go over to GLP, I just get the vetted commentaries here. Lance can probably come up with something again. In the meantime you can sing the Right Said Fred song. :wink:

Lycus
2005-May-19, 11:49 PM
I forget the name of the cast member who played the part,
Will Ferrell

LINK (http://www.pitt.edu/~mrmst55/hcpics.html)

Lurker
2005-May-20, 12:00 AM
Will Ferrell

Oh yeah... I grew up with Harry Caray and the Chicago Cubs... that old man was something else. Will did a good with his wacky character...

Melusine
2005-May-20, 12:16 AM
Will Ferrell

Oh, duh, the BA has it on his blog, I didn't read the 17th before his posting here: http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/ Thanks Lycus, for the added picks. Ferrell is sorely missed.

He's got his review of Revenge of the Sith Anagram, too.

paulie jay
2005-May-20, 02:26 AM
I nearly wet myself laughing at the opening sketch!

mickal555
2005-May-20, 03:51 AM
I nearly wet myself laughing at the opening sketch!

That was odd....

was phil plait the other guy talking?

Lycus
2005-May-20, 04:23 AM
That was odd....

was phil plait the other guy talking?
No, mickal, they were watching a video clip. It was a skit on Saturday Night Live from several years ago.

mickal555
2005-May-20, 10:56 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I was so sure it was him until now... #-o

Grey
2005-May-20, 02:03 PM
... my Persian is jealous because mine is longer and more beautiful then hers!! 8)
You know, this always sounds like you're talking about a cat. :D

Lurker
2005-May-20, 05:18 PM
... my Persian is jealous because mine is longer and more beautiful then hers!! 8)
You know, this always sounds like you're talking about a cat. :D
Oh I am soooo not going there!!! #-o

:wink:

George
2005-May-24, 02:43 AM
I may be a little late but....

Nice going BA! =D> You really must post downloadable audio clips. [Or have I missed this on your web?] I enjoyed the Aussie one, too. Your'e blessed with great audio presence.

The Will Ferrell/Jeff Goldblum skit was a real hoot! My kids loved it, too.

I like your answer to Mad Cows disease best. =D> [I wonder if eating lunar spare ribs has something to do with Mad Cow's disease? :wink: }

Comments:
White paper. What if paper originally looked yellow? [Doesn't old paper look yellow to you? :wink: ] Wouldn't they need to make white-looking paper for today's market (absorbing more yellow than the paper of old)? So, maybe white paper is deceiving. FWIW, the sun also looks white to me. Of course, the little strobe experiment seems to confirm your white sun appearance (when the Sun is at a reasonable altitude). Also, the spectral irradiance is surprisingly flat down here (except for blue, but we get a little back from the sky). This should help confirm the white concept.

White Sun above our atmosphere - hmmmmm :)
Time for "Quest for the Color of the Sun"! :) Sadly, it lacks a great silver-tongued pizza eater with a mild infection of Mad Cow's disease for a leader. :cry: ]

I still wonder if the blue around the Sun, as seen from Mars, is not due to the direct opposite of the effect here. Namely, the same scattering properties apply but, since Martian particles are larger, they scatter red more than blue (blue requires smaler particles, I think). I read once that particle size (in a certain range) can affect scattering to the 6th power (4th power due to wavelength). If this idea is true, it will make for more interesting true story telling.

Great handling of astrology's problem of it not ever working when prediction tests are conducted.

I liked it all.