PDA

View Full Version : Fargo

devil's advocate
2005-May-20, 03:58 AM
The town, not the movie... A friend of mine is going to be moving and I'd like some info for her. Anything you can tell me about the place?

Enzp
2005-May-20, 05:02 AM
Plug "fargo north dakota" into google and that ought to be enough to keep you busy for a while.

beskeptical
2005-May-20, 06:16 AM
The movie actually is a good source for info on Fargo. It's a small town no matter how big. It's cold most of the time and when it isn't cold it's too hot. It's flat but that does have the BIG SKY advantage, a good place for an astronomer when it's warm enough to go out. If I had to live there I'd take up hunting for meteorites during the summer.

Edited to add it looks like the sky is less dark than when I was there according to a more informed source. I guess you'll have to change that astronomy hobby to meteorology. It is fun to watch the storms come across the plains. I see we agree on the cold thing.

the_shaggy_one
2005-May-20, 06:20 AM
I grew up in Moorhead, Minnesota - right across the river from fargo. Nice town, but winters tend to be among the coldest in the country for a large population center. Summers are usually warm, with frequent thunderstorms. Flooding on the Red River is a large problem in the spring, because the river flows north and ice tends to block the flow.

In terms of things to do, options are limited. There are lots of campgrounds and state parks nearby, as the lake country of Minnesota is only a few hours away. Fargo is definately a college town; NDSU, MSUM, and Concordia are all within a few miles of each other, and all three have fairly large campuses. If she's into the college/party scene, that should be extremely diverting. The best thing I can think of is that it's only a 3 or 4 hour drive to the Twin Cities, so weekend visits to civilization are possible.

If you ask me specific questions, odds are I'll be able to answer them.

Edit: Urban sprawl is a MAJOR problem in Fargo, and the proliferation of suburbs have made it as difficult to see the sky from there as it is from my house in the suburbs of Minneapolis. Getting away from the lights would probably involve a good hour of driving west into ranch country.

farmerjumperdon
2005-May-20, 12:39 PM
Concurring with what others have contributed so far; but adding emphasis to the fact that it is a very "rural" culture for a town it's size. Since your location is not given, no way to compare for you. Even the college campuses will be obviously way more conservative than schools located in or near a metro area.

crosscountry
2005-May-20, 01:14 PM
basically, the scenery is terrible. And the weather is worse.

the_shaggy_one
2005-May-20, 01:42 PM
basically, the scenery is terrible. And the weather is worse.

Also, there's really nothing to do.

SeanF
2005-May-20, 02:10 PM
The movie actually is a good source for info on Fargo.
The funny thing is, the opening scene of that movie was the only scene that took place in Fargo. The main part of the movie was set in Brainerd, Minnesota.

But, you're right, not too much difference. :)

the_shaggy_one
2005-May-20, 04:59 PM
Except that we don't actually talk like that. I've only encountered a strong "Minnesotan" accent in isolated rural areas of North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.

SeanF
2005-May-20, 06:15 PM
Except that we don't actually talk like that. I've only encountered a strong "Minnesotan" accent in isolated rural areas of North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
Oh, it was definitely exaggerated in the movie, but I'm afraid that, yes, we do talk like that. :)

the_shaggy_one
2005-May-20, 07:54 PM
Oh, it was definitely exaggerated in the movie, but I'm afraid that, yes, we do talk like that. :)

I thought it was best not to admit to that....

Gillianren
2005-May-20, 08:16 PM
when I was in college, I had a classmate from . . . Wisconsin, I believe. we'd been watching The Story of English in class, and during break, we were discussing accents. I'd seen Fargo for the first time fairly recently, and I mentioned that the friend with whom I'd seen it and I had begun randomly dropping into the accent. Tanya, the girl from Wisconsin, looked at the rest of us and cheerfully said, "oh, we don't talk like that" in exactly the same accent. nobly, we didn't laugh at her.

Enzp
2005-May-21, 07:46 AM
First time I heard it I was baffled. But you know right where someone is from when they stir their coffee with a "spoowin." Don'tcha know.

devil's advocate
2005-May-23, 06:30 PM
I live in Grand Junction, CO and so does my friend. Her dads work forces them to move a lot, she's seldom lived anymhere longer than 2 years. She's hardly an astro buff. but she does enjoy the stars.

Anything for a teen-aged girl to keep herself occupied? I'd like to give her some good news...

pghnative
2005-May-23, 11:29 PM
Anything you can tell me about the place?Steer clear of wood chippers

the_shaggy_one
2005-May-24, 02:58 PM
Sadly, it is a smallish city (despite being the largest in North Dakota), so there really isn't that much to do. There is one large, modern mall with decent shopping, and a surprisingly large area of very modern suburbs with all the strip malls, superstores, etc. I hope your friend is good at meeting new people and making friends, as that's probably her best bet for finding things to do up there. I visit often, but havn't lived up there for a good 12-13 years now.