mickal555
2005-May-21, 11:28 AM
Hi,

Well I have this idea for a game.

You know how we sometimes get

What was that satalight?

or

What was that star? (moon etc..)

I thought we could turn it into a game as those questions are fun to answer.

Whoever finds out the correct answer wins, and it's their go.

1st Q EASY

From my location on the 21st of the 5th at about 9:30 I could see a moon of jupiters just emerging from behind it.

What is the name of that moon?

JohnOwens
2005-May-22, 12:59 AM
From my location on the 21st of the 5th at about 9:30 I could see a moon of jupiters just emerging from behind it.
I think it would be fair enough to expect you to specify whether that's local standard time or UT, and if local, whether daylight saving or not (I don't know if you folks indulge in that insanity down there). Also, while it may seem obvious that that's PM if it's local, it would still be helpful to specify, or use 24-hour times. If UT, then of course 24-hour is pretty mandatory.

Added: "The 21st of the 5th"?? Is that a different way of saying "the 21st of May"?

JohnOwens
2005-May-22, 01:08 AM
1st Q EASY
What is the name of that moon?
Now, getting back to the gist of the game, assuming that's May 21, 2130 local time (UTC +10), that would be Ganymede. Of course, even if it's for a totally different time or date, I've still got a 1/4 chance of getting it right, assuming you mean one of the Galileans. ;)

mickal555
2005-May-22, 01:13 AM
Yep it's ganymede

I made it non-exact because when people ask about things they don't give the exact time date latatude etc... Local time unless otherwise stated, and DLS is only one hour so you can try both times and take a guess. (this is to make it not so simple...). Unless anyone else has any suggestoins?

JohnOwens
2005-May-22, 01:21 AM
Yep it's ganymede
I made it non-exact because when people ask about things they don't give the exact time date latatude etc... Local time unless otherwise stated, and DLS is only one hour so you can try both times and take a guess. (this is to make it not so simple...). Unless anyone else has any suggestoins?
OK, that sounds good, I thought that might be what you were going for. Well, I guess it's my turn, then....
I was thinking of doing something really obnxious, like "I saw a bright cloud (http://www.ghiapet.homeip.net/~jowens/AuroraTemp/) near Arcturus while walking home Saturday night," but I think I'll leave that be. It just wouldn't be fair. ;)
So, Friday night, about 11, I was walking away from home, and managed to make out something rather bright right by the Moon.
What was it? (I might not be confirming any answers until Sunday afternoon, local time here.)

mickal555
2005-May-22, 01:31 AM
I would have got the bright clould, I saw you on space weather :D .

Anyway about that bright thing you saw, well you were walking to the SW and you saw a conjuction of jupitar and the moon.

A pretty sight :D

jt-3d
2005-May-22, 05:16 AM
I had the scope out last night looking at Jupiter. I finally saw the red spot. It wasn't red but it was a spot. And four moons, one wasn't in line with the others but it was just as bright as the others so I assume it was a moon. Very nice sight.

Unfortunately that and the moon was all I could look at. Everything else was above mag 8 and I couldn't make out much of anything. At least I finally got the scope out after more than a year. It'd been so long I almost forgot how to align it and I had to get the manual to find out how to get it to go to Jupiter (to check the alignment, I'm not that lazy :)).

mickal555
2005-May-22, 06:32 AM
Well the great red spot isn't so much red as a pale tan colour. If you saw a jet black dot that would've been a moon shadow. :P

What do you mean by mag.8- that's quite faint...

Anyway congrats on getting the scope out :D

JohnOwens
2005-May-22, 07:30 PM
Anyway about that bright thing you saw, well you were walking to the SW and you saw a conjuction of jupitar and the moon.
A pretty sight :D
I saw Jupiter, too, but it was much closer to the Moon than that. I could barely see the "that" in the glare of the Moon. Jupiter was "nearby", this was "right by".

Well the great red spot isn't so much red as a pale tan colour. If you saw a jet black dot that would've been a moon shadow. :P
Or else it's that pesky monolith acting up again. ;)

jt-3d
2005-May-22, 08:04 PM

What do you mean by mag.8- that's quite faint...

Yeah, that's what I saw - a tan spot. Very cool. I have seen moon shadows before but the spot has been missing.

Mag 8 is my cutoff around here and everything that was up was dimmer than that. To tell the truth, I wasn't really into it anyway. My son wanted to set it up to show his friend so I did. I didn't even bother making the yard dark. I can't believe I passed up the excellent weather we had the last couple of months. #-o

publiusr
2005-May-25, 06:23 PM
When I lived in Inglenook near Tarrant City AL--in the 1970s--I remember seeing a huge red area in the sky over the airport. I wonder if somebody had shot a sounding rocket with chemicals of some kind.

I also seem to remember a large but slow moving fireball when I was quite young.

Halcyon Dayz
2005-May-25, 07:29 PM
I was once perplexed by a red, squat, mushroom-shaped object just above the horizon one evening.

Then I realized it was the sun, doh. :oops: