PDA

View Full Version : An apology to the BA

Archer17
2005-May-22, 07:24 AM
In the vacationing posters thread:
..SciFi Chick and Jpax got Banned, then un-Banned. I was away at the time, but it caused quite a stir. :-?Yes it did. And since you felt the need to bring this up, I have something I need to say to Dr. Plait regarding my part in that "stir" ..

I apologize Dr. Plait for what I posted during that incident. Granted, I admire SciFi Chick and will always have her back (not that the spunky lass needs it!), but I could have made my point without calling into question your backbone in the process. The fact is, I don't really know you to judge you. Alcohol played a part in my tirade, but that's no excuse. In fact, it showed a weakness of character on my part to allow it to get to that point. I'm not proud of how I represented myself here that night and I rue attacking someone I admire and respect. Sorry Dr. Plait. I mean that.

When sober I can see the wisdom in not elevating RCH by giving him unnecessary and undeserved attention. I can also see the woo woos saying that if a heavy-hitter like Dr. Plait feels it necessary to try to stifle Hoagland via a circus-like talk-radio debate, then he must be onto something. You debated Nancy Lieder which, considering her resume, was more "out there" than Hoagland and did it because, unlike RCH's fantasies, she was engaged in "end of the world" fear-mongering. That took guts IMO and was necessary. Sticking to reality wasn't an issue with Nancy and you, confined by sticking to real astronomy and science, were at a disadvantage. She could make stuff up, you couldn't. I joined here after that debate because I liked what I heard from you. I hope that action speaks louder than some of my inappropriate drunken words did.

Aside to Candy: I suggest you think of something else next time with which to greet returning posters. Let's let this "stir" rest in peace, OK?

skwirlinator
2005-May-22, 10:28 AM
Thats nice, =D>

SciFi Chick
2005-May-22, 01:31 PM
Archer - just so you know, the date of Candy's post was Mar 21 not May 21, as in, it was less than 48 hours after the whole incident, so I don't think she was exactly "bringing it up". 8)

One of the things I appreciate about you, and it's something we have in common, is your ability to admit when you're wrong. Now, if we can just figure out how to never be wrong, we can avoid apologies like this in the future. ;)

Thanks again for being such a good friend. One can never have too many of those. :D

Candy
2005-May-22, 01:39 PM
Thank you, SciFi Chick. I was trying to think of something to say, but you said it best. I'll leave it at that. :-?

Archer17
2005-May-22, 04:07 PM
..Now, if we can just figure out how to never be wrong, we can avoid apologies like this in the future..Apparently I still got some "figuring out" along those lines - which brings me to:
Thank you, SciFi Chick. I was trying to think of something to say, but you said it best. I'll leave it at that. :-?I apologize to you as well Candy. I saw what you posted cited right above Normandy's recent post and obviously didn't bother looking at the date. #-o :oops: In essense I was guilty of what I accused you of doing and am sorry. If it's any consolation, I feel like an idiot.

The Bad Astronomer
2005-May-22, 07:29 PM
Thank you, Archer, I appreciate that. And I know personally quite well, after that very same event, how hard it is to admit a mistake.

SciFi Chick
2005-May-22, 07:37 PM
Thank you, Archer, I appreciate that. And I know personally quite well, after that very same event, how hard it is to admit a mistake.

There are definitely times in which it seems like it would be easier not to admit a mistake, but all we have to do is look at the Hoagland's of the world and there is no doubt that it is better to admit when one is wrong. And let me say again, how much I personally appreciate your doing just that in the case to which we refer. :D

Candy
2005-May-22, 11:54 PM
GROUP HUG!

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sehrgrosse/large-smiley-005.gif

skwirlinator
2005-May-23, 02:17 AM
Thats nice, =D>

This was an effort to acknowledge an unanswered post

#-o

LoL

Musashi
2005-May-23, 02:28 AM
You are very strange.

skwirlinator
2005-May-23, 02:34 AM
Not very....Extremely

Lurker
2005-May-23, 05:23 PM
This is a good group of people and I am glad you all allow me to hang out with youse here.

Its moments like this remind me why I feel this way

and how strange Candy can be... : - )

Candy
2005-May-23, 05:37 PM
This is a good group of people and I am glad you all allow me to hang out with youse here.

Its moments like this remind me why I feel this way

and how strange Candy can be... : - )
I love you, too. :P

Question: why do I get dragged into these things? I'm sitting quietly at home watching Perry Mason, and BAM!

Lance
2005-May-23, 06:31 PM
Question: why do I get dragged into these things? I'm sitting quietly at home watching Perry Mason, and BAM!

It's this pesky thing Candy:

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/reply.gif

If you leave that alone, none of this would happen.

:D

Lurker
2005-May-23, 08:16 PM

http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/reply.gif

Damn!!! Is that what it is!! :-?

Why don't people tell me these things... Why am I always the last to know!! #-o

Swift
2005-May-23, 08:26 PM

Damn!!! Is that what it is!! :-?

Why don't people tell me these things... Why am I always the last to know!! #-o
Oh, it is worse than that. Without all this typing and language and social behavior (like conversation) we would never get into this kind of trouble. Shoot, I'm not even sure that coming down from the trees was such a good idea. Man, those one cells organisms had a good life-style.

:wink:

Donnie B.
2005-May-23, 11:58 PM
Oh, it is worse than that. Without all this typing and language and social behavior (like conversation) we would never get into this kind of trouble. Shoot, I'm not even sure that coming down from the trees was such a good idea. Man, those one cells organisms had a good life-style.

:wink:
Sure, until it's time to go fission. You try pulling yourself in half and see how you like it!

skwirlinator
2005-May-24, 05:48 PM
At least noone is trying to pull your hair!