PDA

View Full Version : Bad Law

Revolver
2005-May-22, 09:13 PM
Dont you guys think its just STUPID of what people can sue and go to jail for? You offend a gay you can have to pay them or go to jail for it! Hate crimes (the true ones :: Murder, Theft, ect. ect.) should be outlawed but not that offensive stuff (name calling, ect. ect.) Its just plain stupid.

In australia in a CHRISTIAN church a muslim woman was in the crowd when the preacher started talking about the only way into heaven (Jesus) and the woman was apparently offended and he was fined 1000 bucks aswell as being sent to jail for a MONTH.

Is something wrong with this world or what? #-o

A Thousand Pardons
2005-May-22, 09:31 PM
Is there an article somewhere about this?

Revolver
2005-May-22, 09:41 PM
It was on that "700 Club" thing.. Check their site's archives.

Melusine
2005-May-22, 09:45 PM
Dont you guys think its just STUPID of what people can sue and go to jail for? You offend a gay you can have to pay them or go to jail for it! Hate crimes (the true ones :: Murder, Theft, ect. ect.) should be outlawed but not that offensive stuff (name calling, ect. ect.) Its just plain stupid.
It does seem silly that a non-Christian would willingly walk into a Christian church and then be offended by what it preaches, but your comment about hate crimes is a politically loaded one, and at least in the US, a divided topic, because it's open to sometimes vague interpretations, and there are two sides to the coin about the purpose of hate crime laws. Depending on what side one is on, it's probably best to leave alone, or at least I'll leave it alone, lest someone be offended.

However, a non-political silly thing is that where I live, I can't swear in public and can be possibly arrested for it if I do. A customer was once relating a story to me and using the F-word as it was used in the original incident. A cranky policeman went after him outside and told him he could arrest him for using that language in public, though the law is specifically that someone has to be offended. So, if there were other customers in the office who were offended, my customer could have been arrested. If no one was offended, then not. Policemen can't be offended, so I or anyone, can swear at them all we want, though that won't win any brownie points with them. My customer called my boss and was embarrassed and upset by this. All the other policemen would have never done it, just this one is a bit over-zealous at times. Imagine going to jail for swearing. That's the law, though.

Captain Kidd
2005-May-22, 09:49 PM
:-?

Wow, and some think the FCC is bad.

What county is this, and who decides what is and isn't a swearword?

As for the OP, Melusine basically said my thoughts on the matter.

Revolver
2005-May-22, 09:56 PM
Fu, Freaki, Sh, Fa, Da, God, Jesus, Da-it, Hell, Que; Those are the common ones, Cut short where needed.

God, and Jesus used with any of the above words or just used, EX: "Oh my god", are considered curse words, GD and God / Jesus + any of the others is Blaspheme.

Blame my christian parents :roll:

Melusine
2005-May-22, 10:04 PM
:-?

Wow, and some think the FCC is bad.

What county is this, and who decides what is and isn't a swearword?

As for the OP, Melusine basically said my thoughts on the matter.
I'll try look it up online, or PM you the town here in the good 'ol USA. But there are lots of bizarre, antiquated laws on the books. I know CT has tried to clean up some of their old blue laws. Look at this site, it's not a joke, I looked into Florida ~ gasp~ Look and see: http://www.lawguru.com/weird/part01.html

I was as shocked as my customer when he called back to tell, and my boss had a talkin' with the policeman. I was looking around when he used the F-word and even told him to lower his voice, but there was only one other person in there and I'm not sure she was even paying attention. Said cop could have found a better way to let him know. But again, this one is known for doing things like that, and has angered a lot of our customers in the past--the others weren't like that.

Kristophe
2005-May-22, 11:38 PM
This swearing law sounds like it might not be in accordance with the Constitution, though if it's a city bylaw, I'm not really sure the city council counts as "congress".

You can't sue someone for simply being offensive. You have to demonstrate that you've somehow lost money to get money from a court, either directly, or via a tarnished reputation. This Australian thing sounds like a false rumor. Though, if it isn't, I should board the next flight to Sydney Major and start suing Bible publishers. That book offends me beyond belief, so I'd make a fortune.

Hate speech is illegal in Canada, and for good reason. It makes those targeted by it feel unsafe, and can encourage violant actions against them, or by them. If I say "Kill the ___", I'm going to end up behind bars, and rightfully so.

Candy
2005-May-23, 12:29 AM
After taking Business Law, all I can say is there is a law for just about everything. It amazes me at how you can literally fight something with a law passed 50 years ago and win. Geez, I've been voicing Union Reform (after Welfare Reform) for the last 5 years. Perhaps, I will start voicing Law Reform. Oh, how I love to be an instigator. :D

Maha Vailo
2005-May-23, 01:17 AM
It was on that "700 Club" thing.. Check their site's archives.

Err, Revolver? You do know (or ought to know) that the 700 Club is the quasi-Christian equivalent of tinfoil-hat-wearing woowoos. Pat Robertson and their ilk aren't exactly the sanest people in the universe. Therefore, unless this particular story is reported in one of the mainstream news agencies, I will remain skeptical about its veracity.

- Maha "from misinformation to misunderstanding" Vailo

Maksutov
2005-May-23, 01:37 AM
After taking Business Law, all I can say is there is a law for just about everything. It amazes me at how you can literally fight something with a law passed 50 years ago and win. Geez, I've been voicing Union Reform (after Welfare Reform) for the last 5 years. Perhaps, I will start voicing Law Reform. Oh, how I love to be an instigator. :D
I always held to the idea that if I ran for political office, there would be two planks in my platform.

1. No new laws.
2. Get rid of existing bad and obsolete laws.

Of course most of the folks in Congress are lawyers, which profession is what most will return to after they leave Congress. So it is in their best post-Congressional interest to keep making new laws. Sort of future job security. :roll:

Kesh
2005-May-23, 02:02 AM
Dont you guys think its just STUPID of what people can sue and go to jail for? You offend a gay you can have to pay them or go to jail for it!

Then you've just offended me, so you owe me a ton of money! Go directly to jail, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. ;)

Hate crimes (the true ones :: Murder, Theft, ect. ect.) should be outlawed but not that offensive stuff (name calling, ect. ect.) Its just plain stupid.

Is it? This isn't about just saying nasty things about someone. It's about trying to degrade a group of people and drive them out of society. Also, you may want to qualify what you mean in "etc. etc."

As others have said, the 700 Club isn't a reliable source. For <diety>'s sake, they had a "report" once about how the flood occurred because the Earth's crust sits on a gigantic, planetwide body of freshwater that broke through due to gods will, and then retreated back into the planet after 40 days!

paulie jay
2005-May-23, 03:57 AM
In australia in a CHRISTIAN church a muslim woman was in the crowd when the preacher started talking about the only way into heaven (Jesus) and the woman was apparently offended and he was fined 1000 bucks aswell as being sent to jail for a MONTH.

Yeah, there's something wrong with the world alright, and the thing that's wrong with it is people who spread ridiculous stories like this one. I'm Australian and I haven't heard the slightest thing about this. It would have been front page news. It never happened. It's a lie. Stick to facts, fella and stop spreading garbage fairytales.

Maksutov
2005-May-23, 04:15 AM
[edit]As others have said, the 700 Club isn't a reliable source. For <diety>'s sake, they had a "report" once about how the flood occurred because the Earth's crust sits on a gigantic, planetwide body of freshwater that broke through due to gods will, and then retreated back into the planet after 40 days!
Did they mention anything about turtles with heavily-loaded backs swimming in there? You know, lots of turtles, all the way down? :wink:

sarongsong
2005-May-23, 04:47 AM
...A cranky policeman went after him outside and told him he could arrest him for using that language in public, though the law is specifically that someone has to be offended...That's the way sexual harrassment was presented in an employee/management meeting recently; even tho neither of the conversation's participants are offended, a third party who overhears what is said, if offended, can bring charges. Lots'a whispering going on now... :wink:

AGN Fuel
2005-May-23, 05:17 AM

Yeah, there's something wrong with the world alright, and the thing that's wrong with it is people who spread ridiculous stories like this one. I'm Australian and I haven't heard the slightest thing about this. It would have been front page news. It never happened. It's a lie. Stick to facts, fella and stop spreading garbage fairytales.

Ditto Paulie Jay.There was a recent incident where a muslim school student was warned over breaching school uniform rules by wearing traditional muslim clothing whilst at school without a letter of permission from her parents, but this was settled amicably by all parties.

The incident described did not hit the papers or the talkback psychos, and it most certainly would have had it truly occurred. My money is on a complete fabrication. :roll:

Melusine
2005-May-23, 11:41 AM
Texas is known for using some of its obscure laws, as you probably know from the most recent and prominent case involving two gay men in Houston that went to the Supreme Court, which thankfully, ruled in their favor. Some of the old laws regarding sexual practices are utterly ridiculous, such as that in Florida regarding what couples can engage in--why aren't these things taken off the books? The problem is when these laws are used to target people, as in the case above, because someone is disgruntled over something. It makes people's lives a mess for a while.
See this: http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/11/obscenity.trial.reut/ There was a little more to it, I learned from other sources, and these complainers were ticked off at this woman about something else altogether. I do remember reading the statute online, but c'mon, this was pathetic. I commend those states cleaning up their books.

Heid the Ba'
2005-May-23, 11:43 AM
Revolver, I'm not trying to pile on here, simply offering some advice. In one of your posts you suggest you will be able to vote for the first time in 2008 so I'll take a guess at your age. Please take this advice as you would from from a kindly, but cynical and world weary, uncle.

Beware anything in the media where a headline suggests someone has received X million dollars from the Megacorporation for trauma suffered due to a badly folded napkin. Raising an action is straightforward and so is making a claim for X million. When, IF, the case ever goes to proof, if successful, the pursuer may be awarded much less. Even then, that sum is often reduced further on appeal and the lower figure doesn't make the headlines or even the news. There are a number of sites which cover these claims, www.snopes.com used to do it well, but I haven't been there for a while.

The Scottish Law Society Journal (unfortunately not on line) reviewed the most famous "cases" and couldn't find one where the final award was anything like the usual sum quoted usually by at least one order of magnitude, and in many cases (the Winnebago cruise control case springs to mind) there is no evidence that it ever existed.

There are bad laws, but there are also unscrupulous journalists who will use misleading or false headlines which are then disseminated across the internet. Please check reliable sites before you believe what you read in an e-mail or on a site with an axe to grind.

Melusine
2005-May-23, 11:46 AM
...A cranky policeman went after him outside and told him he could arrest him for using that language in public, though the law is specifically that someone has to be offended...That's the way sexual harrassment was presented in an employee/management meeting recently; even tho neither of the conversation's participants are offended, a third party who overhears what is said, if offended, can bring charges. Lots'a whispering going on now... :wink:
When our office went to the training, we all failed. That's not to make light of sexual harassment, for some it's a pernicious and destructive problem, but in a small office we all knew where we stood. There was this one outsourced employee, however, who had this habit of looking at womens' chests while talking, but I found my own way to deal with that, and it stopped. :D

Jim
2005-May-23, 01:15 PM
This swearing law sounds like it might not be in accordance with the Constitution...

Nope, entirely Constitutional. "Free speech" means the right to express your opinion. That does not give you carte blanche to lie, slander, or to use what Society considers foul language.

Kristophe
2005-May-23, 02:09 PM
This swearing law sounds like it might not be in accordance with the Constitution...

Nope, entirely Constitutional. "Free speech" means the right to express your opinion. That does not give you carte blanche to lie, slander, or to use what Society considers foul language.

You can lie all you want. I can sit here and talk to you about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny all day long if I want. Congress isn't going to stop me. Lible and slander are covered by different laws, which deal with damaged reputations and/or lost incomes due to lies or unfounded rumors. You're more than free to say them -- the government can't and won't stop you -- but the person you're defaming can take you to court in an attempt to discredit you and recover lost income. If uttering obscenities is a crime down there, I hope Showcase, Bravo, HBO, Showtime, or even the bloody CBC don't have a big audience. Someone might notice. If people are worried about being offended, then perhaps they should start caring about what some people out there are actually saying, instead of the words they're using to say it.

Lurker
2005-May-23, 05:40 PM
I may get myself in in a bit of trouble here, but I've always had trouble with the concept of hate crimes. So... if someone ends up killing me because he wants my wallet with $40 in it, why is this different from killing me because of my race, or sexual preference. Either way since I am now deceased so it probably makes very little difference to me.

I don't like hate by any means, but beating, robbing, killing... it all seems pretty bad to me regardless of motive. If I am strung up and tortured by some psychopath who has nothing against me personally, but just likes the act of torture am I suppose to feel better than if that person tortured me because of my beliefs. I think I would be pretty upset either way...

Candy
2005-May-23, 05:48 PM
I may get myself in in a bit of trouble here, but I've always had trouble with the concept of hate crimes. So... if someone ends up killing me because he wants my wallet with $40 in it, why is this different from killing me because of my race, or sexual preference. Either way since I am now deceased so it probably makes very little difference to me.
Good question. The black fellow that robbed me of $40 bucks was not doing it for hate. I could tell he wasn't a bad kid (this while he pointed a gun at me). The police said it was most likely a fraternity initiation. :o

The Supreme Canuck
2005-May-23, 05:52 PM
Whoa, like a university fraternity?

Candy
2005-May-23, 05:58 PM
Whoa, like a university fraternity?
Yep, Ball State University. I worked at Domino's making pizza's at a store located on campus.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-May-23, 06:00 PM
Wow. This is why I don't like frats. :o

Candy
2005-May-23, 06:04 PM
He was a good kid, just stuck with an unfortunate "fraternity" initiation. I knew he was good, but damn, the whole situation was freaking scary.

Sororities and Fraternities are good for the most part. I had my chance to pledge, but decided against it.

Donnie B.
2005-May-23, 06:40 PM
Good question. The black fellow that robbed me of $40 bucks was not doing it for hate. I could tell he wasn't a bad kid (this while he pointed a gun at me). The police said it was most likely a fraternity initiation. :o
One wonders about the ethics of a fraternity that would assign such a task to a pledge.

Do you suppose they donated the proceedings to charity? Or did it finance their next kegger?

The Supreme Canuck
2005-May-23, 06:41 PM
I'd bet on the latter being true.

Candy
2005-May-23, 06:54 PM
One wonders about the ethics of a fraternity that would assign such a task to a pledge.

Do you suppose they donated the proceedings to charity? Or did it finance their next kegger?
I hate to add this, but it was a black fraternity. I know the kid was good, because he didn't shoot me. He had a silly smile on his face like it was all a joke. It sure scared me. I wonder if I will ever meet this person again.

Ilya
2005-May-23, 06:57 PM
When our office went to the training, we all failed. That's not to make light of sexual harassment, for some it's a pernicious and destructive problem, but in a small office we all knew where we stood. There was this one outsourced employee, however, who had this habit of looking at womens' chests while talking, but I found my own way to deal with that, and it stopped. :D

I have Asperger's Syndrome. One of its effects is that it is not natural for me to look at a person's eyes while talking. I have to make a conscious effort to maintain eye contact. If I forget myself, my gaze will slide off -- possibly to the window past your shoulder, and possibly to your chest. In neither case will I actually focus on whatever I am "looking" at, as in reality I concentrate on the verbal exchange. Yet it is perceived as absent-minded* at best, rude (or sexually inappropriate) at worst. Nobody ever sued me, but I would have a valid disability defense :)

* It is truly ironic to be perceived as absent-minded due to not looking into person's eyes. I am not looking at your eyes (or at anything, really) exactly because my full attention is on what you are SAYING!

The Supreme Canuck
2005-May-23, 07:00 PM

I hate to add this, but it was a black fraternity. I know the kid was good, because he didn't shoot me. He had a silly smile on his face like it was all a joke. It sure scared me. I wonder if I will ever meet this person again.

Couldn't he have just, y'know, not done it? Or spent $40 out of his own pocket and lied about it?

Candy
2005-May-23, 07:10 PM

Couldn't he have just, y'know, not done it? Or spent $40 out of his own pocket and lied about it?
Kids will be kids. This was in the early 90's.

There was another person involved "driving". So I think peer pressure was a factor.

Ilya
2005-May-23, 07:13 PM

Candy, if you did not bring CRIMINAL charges against that fraternity, you should. This kind of "initiation" goes way beyond usual hazing. Pointing a gun at someone is not a joke, as someone could really get hurt, not the least the pledge with unloaded gun (I hope it was unloaded!) himself.

At the college I went to, one year black fraternity and black sorority took to marching the pledges in military formations in straight lines, wearing combat boots and intimidating "ghetto sweatshirts" with hoods, and daring anyone to get in their way. Students tended to step aside until my then-girlfriend deliberately stood in the way of the marching squad. Miss Drill Sergeant of the sorority called halt, then began yelling obscenities at my GF, ordering her to get out of the pledges' way and threatening to march over her. My GF yelled back at her, and then wrote a letter to campus newspaper, in which she promised to stand in the way of every such squad, and to bring criminal assault charges if they ever make good on their threat. The practice stopped shortly after.

What fraternities (and sororities) do to test their pledges is their business -- although I never understood why anyone would WANT to undergo such humiliations. When their start intimidating, scaring, or hurting other people, it is no longer their business, and is called FELONY.

[Edited] -- Oh, it was not a recent thing. Too late :)

Revolver
2005-May-23, 07:13 PM
He was a good kid, just stuck with an unfortunate "fraternity" initiation. I knew he was good, but damn, the whole situation was freaking scary.

Sororities and Fraternities are good for the most part. I had my chance to pledge, but decided against it.I say c-r-a-p and the BA goes nuts but you can say the D word and the Freak word? Not Fair.

Candy
2005-May-23, 07:18 PM

Sororities and Fraternities are good for the most part. I had my chance to pledge, but decided against it.I say c-r-a-p and the BA goes nuts but you can say the D word and the Freak word? Not Fair.
What?

Revolver
2005-May-23, 07:24 PM
"He was a good kid, just stuck with an unfortunate "fraternity" initiation. I knew he was good, but damn, the whole situation was freaking scary."

You said two of the known curse words. The BA nearly banned me over saying C-r-a-p #-o

Candy
2005-May-23, 07:34 PM
"He was a good kid, just stuck with an unfortunate "fraternity" initiation. I knew he was good, but damn, the whole situation was freaking scary."

You said two of the known curse words. The BA nearly banned me over saying C-r-a-p #-o
Are you mad at me?

Gillianren
2005-May-23, 07:34 PM
context? this can make a difference, you know.

Revolver
2005-May-23, 07:36 PM
I take the 5th Ammendment (sp?)

Lurker
2005-May-23, 08:10 PM
Ammendment (sp?)

A-m-e-n-d-m-e-n-t

S-p-e-l-l C-h-e-c-k-e-r [-(

8)

Weird Dave
2005-May-23, 08:18 PM

You said two of the known curse words. The BA nearly banned me over saying #-#-#-# #-o
It's still a swear word if you put dashes in it [-X . In what language is "freak" a swear word?

[Edited to correct colouring]

The Supreme Canuck
2005-May-23, 08:20 PM
It isn't. It's just a placeholder for the "Big One" (which also starts with an F). Same thing as saying sugar instead of... yeah...

Revolver
2005-May-23, 08:21 PM
FREAK + That one THREE LETTER COMPANY is the bad one.

Remember ING? :lol:

paulie jay
2005-May-23, 10:37 PM

No, he nearly banned your because of your aggressive and obnoxious posting style.

Captain Kidd
2005-May-24, 01:02 AM
I have Asperger's Syndrome. One of its effects is that it is not natural for me to look at a person's eyes while talking. I have to make a conscious effort to maintain eye contact. If I forget myself, my gaze will slide off -- possibly to the window past your shoulder, and possibly to your chest. In neither case will I actually focus on whatever I am "looking" at, as in reality I concentrate on the verbal exchange. Yet it is perceived as absent-minded* at best, rude (or sexually inappropriate) at worst. Nobody ever sued me, but I would have a valid disability defense :)

* It is truly ironic to be perceived as absent-minded due to not looking into person's eyes. I am not looking at your eyes (or at anything, really) exactly because my full attention is on what you are SAYING!
Hello, now there's something I need to look into. I've always had a hard time maintaining eye contact during conversations. I've just chalked it to some weird aversion to eye contact. Maybe I need to do some Googling on the symptoms (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=474957#474957).

um3k
2005-May-24, 03:21 AM
I have Asperger's Syndrome.
Me too! That's why I spend most of my time on the internet. It's much less uncomfortable to communicate with people here! :D

Gramma loreto
2005-May-24, 06:26 PM
Good grief. What happens when a pledge tries that on an armed citizen? The stuff of which headlines are made. Fraternity pledge shot during hazing prank. Yep, the media would likely call it a prank, rather than the crime that it is. All the "good kid" excuse-making in the world won't make it otherwise.

rleyland
2005-May-24, 10:03 PM
A quick google for Aspergers Syndrome, rather than for the symptoms, found this:

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html

R

the_shaggy_one
2005-May-25, 12:39 AM
The state of Minnesota has a law on the books stating that it's illegal to travel more than 5 miles or something from your home without carrying a rifle. You know, in case the natives attack.

Enzp
2005-May-25, 09:24 AM
Don't care what color he is, but one thing that frat college student learned from it is, "Hey, I can rob someone and get away with it."

Maksutov
2005-May-25, 09:53 AM
The state of Minnesota has a law on the books stating that it's illegal to travel more than 5 miles or something from your home without carrying a rifle. You know, in case the natives attack.
I thought that was meant to be a defense against itinerant Yoopers! :wink:

Candy
2005-May-25, 04:21 PM
Don't care what color he is, but one thing that frat college student learned from it is, "Hey, I can rob someone and get away with it."
I believe stating the color was important. It was a black fraternity. I just realized this is probably where my "prejudice" started with the black male. Wow, this is a break through! :o

Perhaps, I can work on rectifying my personal fears, now. Nice work, Enzp. 8)

Weird Dave
2005-May-25, 06:26 PM
I believe stating the color was important. It was a black fraternity. I just realized this is probably where my "prejudice" started with the black male. Wow, this is a break through! :o

Perhaps, I can work on rectifying my personal fears, now. Nice work, Enzp. 8)
If anyone pointed a gun at me I'd be rather prejudiced against them - whatever colour they were.

Threatening someone with a gun is a bad thing to do, and since I believe that (in general) bad people do bad things and good people do good things, that makes that guy a bad person. I don't care what his motives were: robbing someone to join a frat is just as bad as doing it for greed, and suggests that there is something disturbingly wrong inside his head. It just occured to me that he may have picked on a woman because he was scared of threatening a man who might fight back - if so then he is a coward too. :evil:

Thank God we don't have this nonsense at university in Britain.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-May-25, 06:31 PM
If anyone pointed a gun at me I'd be rather prejudiced against them - whatever colour they were.
But there's a difference in being prejudiced against a person because of their actions, and being prejudiced against a large group of people because of the actions of one of them.

Good luck with that, Candy, hope that works out.

?!

Candy
2005-May-25, 06:40 PM
It just occured to me that he may have picked on a woman because he was scared of threatening a man who might fight back - if so then he is a coward too. :evil:
I stalled him as long as I could. I was hoping the male driver would come back and scare him off. Just my luck, the male driver knew the people he delivered a pizza to, so he was MIA.

The robber told me to come near him and lie down, and I said NO. I will lie down over here. He paused, and said, "okay". It really was surreal. I almost wanted to bolt out the back door, but I didn't. I wasn't scared, until he finally showed me his bullets. Yes, like a dummy, I argued with him about his tiny gun. I'd never seen anything so small. I thought it was a toy gun. I argued with a man with a gun. The cops said I was lucky to be alive.

Candy
2005-May-25, 06:44 PM
It just occured to me that he may have picked on a woman because he was scared of threatening a man who might fight back - if so then he is a coward too. :evil:
I stalled him as long as I could. I was hoping the male driver would come back and scare him off. Just my luck, the male driver knew the people he delivered a pizza to, so he was MIA.

The robber told me to come near him and lie down, and I said NO. I will lie down over here. He paused, and said, "okay". It really was surreal. I almost wanted to bolt out the back door, but I didn't. I wasn't scared, until he finally showed me his bullets. Yes, like a dummy, I argued with him about his tiny gun. I'd never seen anything so small. I thought it was a toy gun. I argued with a man with a gun. The cops said I was lucky to be alive.
FYI - I think I scared him as much as he scared me! :lol:

Candy
2005-May-25, 06:49 PM
But there's a difference in being prejudiced against a person because of their actions, and being prejudiced against a large group of people because of the actions of one of them.
I really think this is the reason I've been prejudice against black men. I just never pieced it together until now. It's sort of like when a woman gets raped by a man, she doesn't want to be touched by another man period, until she learns to work through what happened to her. I felt raped, ATP.

Candy
2005-May-25, 06:53 PM
I really think this is the reason I've been prejudice against black men. I just never pieced it together until now. It's sort of like when a woman gets raped by a man, she doesn't want to be touched by another man period, until she learns to work through what happened to her. I felt raped, ATP.
And the man had Groucho Marx glasses on (I'm not making this up, either), so I never saw his face. To me, he was just a black man with a small gun with big bullets. It sounds funny now, but it really was scary.

Candy
2005-May-25, 06:59 PM
I don't want to talk about this any more. It makes me have to relive it over and over again in my head. It makes me sad and mad. I don't ever want to feel like a victim again. If I had to do it all over again, I would have sacrificed my life to not let someone make me feel like a victim. I just wish I were me now, then! :evil:

Weird Dave
2005-May-25, 07:06 PM
Ah, I think I misunderstood what Candy meant about that. It makes sense now.

Good luck with that, Candy, hope that works out.

?!
We don't have fraternities or sororities here, and hence no initiations of that kind. People only rob you in Britain if they mean it (OK, maybe that isn't a good thing...). If there is a ritual if someone joins a drinking society, it generally seems to be something like "drink n shots of this vile spirit" where n is a large, positive integer.

Candy, I hope you manage to beat this. Don't let him win. Good luck to you.

captain swoop
2005-May-26, 09:48 AM
We don't have 'Frats' but we do have Societies, usualy sporting or subject related but there are always a smattering of stupid ones that involve stupid stunts or excesive drinking.

Go to the news.bbc.co.uk website and do a search on student and prank and see how many kill or seriously injure themselves or others every year.

Maksutov
2005-May-26, 10:12 AM
We don't have 'Frats' but we do have Societies, usualy sporting or subject related but there are always a smattering of stupid ones that involve stupid stunts or excesive drinking.

Go to the news.bbc.co.uk website and do a search on student and prank and see how many kill or seriously injure themselves or others every year.
Ah, frats and societies, doing the hard work of natural selection without complaint.

I wonder if sororities do these kinds of things?

Any sisters out there?

Darasen
2005-May-26, 08:27 PM
Are we talking about a fraternity or a gang ?

harlequin
2005-May-26, 09:38 PM

Only if by "on the books" you mean that is in the books that contain the complete laws of Minnesota including repealed and/or struck-down and/or expired laws.

Hey prohibition is still on the books (the 18th Amendment) but then again, so is the the 21st Amendment which repealed the 18th Amendment.

And in any event, even if the legislature did not explicately repeal that law, any law afterward that contradicts it will take priority. So if there is a law that restricts your ability to carry a rifle then the original law is moot.
In modern society there are quite a few such laws and thus there is simply no way the original law is still in effect.