PDA

View Full Version : Why is Nova Scotia getting so much rain?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-May-25, 12:30 PM
Why is Nova Scotia getting so much rain? I think as of today 247mm plus, (more than twice our normal). More on the way. I don't think it's just us though...east coast of US (New England) has the same problem. It is getting very tiresome... :(

Lance
2005-May-25, 12:32 PM
Why is Nova Scotia getting so much rain?

It's the HAARP/ChemTrail Weather Modification project in action. Apparently we have declared war on Nova Scotia and are trying to drown you all out.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-May-25, 12:46 PM
I knew it!!! (shakes fist)

but seriously

global warming????

Moose
2005-May-25, 12:58 PM
Banquo, you know that Nova Scotia's weather has been stuck on Variable since Confederation. They finally got the weather unstuck just before Juan. Hurricanes, snowstorms, floods, there's just so much catching up to do!

(Brace yourself, I hear the locusts and earthquakes are scheduled for August.)

Semi-seriously, just think of it as your contribution to the debunking of certain biblical myths: it's rained straight for fourty days and fourty nights already, and while a few highways have washed out, you guys are still fine. A little soggy around the edges, but otherwise okay. :wink:

Glom
2005-May-25, 01:48 PM
global warming????

It takes more than one year of heavy rain for this to be a valid hypothesis. Besides, the climate is always do weird things with or without our help.

Meteora
2005-May-25, 03:01 PM
I'll have a chat with Nimbus. :D

(For those of you who haven't seen The Unchained Goddess, Nimbus is the god of rain, who serves Meteora, the supreme goddess of weather. The Unchained Goddess is a film that was made for school science classes in the late 1950s.)

I'm on vacation in Ontario right now, so I'm not paying very close attention to the overall weather pattern. But, I would guess that a stable jet stream pattern that favors rain along the east coast of North America has established itself. That would also explain the warm and dry weather back home in Oklahoma, since that's the way such a pattern would typically work. Most likely, the pattern will break down soon, since they rarely last more than a month or two.

teddyv
2005-May-25, 03:03 PM
Why is Nova Scotia getting so much rain? I think as of today 247mm plus, (more than twice our normal). More on the way. I don't think it's just us though...east coast of US (New England) has the same problem. It is getting very tiresome... :(

It's just the Wet Coast sharing this year. :P

Nethius
2005-May-25, 03:30 PM
Because we already got our 5 hours of nice weather, winter's gonna come soon!

Do you remember last summer, it sucked, never really got that warm.

Edit for my spelling

Russ
2005-May-25, 03:35 PM
Climate is what you expect. Weather is what you get. ;)

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-May-25, 03:40 PM
casue already got our 5 hours of nice weather, winters gonna come soon!

Do yo remember last summer, it sucked, never really got that warm.

Nice to see someone on here from Halifax...welcome :)

Moose
2005-May-25, 03:48 PM
*pouts*

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-May-25, 03:50 PM
and Sydney!!!!

Moose
2005-May-25, 03:53 PM
*blinks* Sydney? :-?

(Actually, I'm from the outskirts of Halifax. I'm just not in Halifax right now. 8) I do want to go back though. I miss the place.)

Gillianren
2005-May-25, 07:08 PM
and here I though California had stolen all of our rain this year.

Van Rijn
2005-May-25, 07:58 PM
and here I though California had stolen all of our rain this year.

Yup. Sacramento has a foggy/rainy season and a dry season. This year, we had far more rain than usual and it extended well into the time it is usually dry. So practically overnight we went from 60-65F to 90F, without bothering with what we would consider spring. Also, we actually had a couple of reasonably powerful thunderstorms, semi-warm humid days (normally around here, if it is warm it is dry, humidity only happens on cold days) and even a tornado or two (F0s, though). Very strange weather. Other areas in California had more rain problems than we did, too.

It looks like we might finally be in the dry season. We may get one more small rainshower, but generally at this point we won't get significant rain until at least late September or into October. But with the weather this year, who knows?

Kristophe
2005-May-25, 08:24 PM
Sydney Forks, actually. And we've gotten next to no rain at all. The province doesn't end at Truro, yanno.

Gillianren
2005-May-25, 08:28 PM
Yup. Sacramento has a foggy/rainy season and a dry season. This year, we had far more rain than usual and it extended well into the time it is usually dry. So practically overnight we went from 60-65F to 90F, without bothering with what we would consider spring. Also, we actually had a couple of reasonably powerful thunderstorms, semi-warm humid days (normally around here, if it is warm it is dry, humidity only happens on cold days) and even a tornado or two (F0s, though). Very strange weather. Other areas in California had more rain problems than we did, too.

It looks like we might finally be in the dry season. We may get one more small rainshower, but generally at this point we won't get significant rain until at least late September or into October. But with the weather this year, who knows?

you folks are going to have one heck of a fire season this year, too. all that plant life that's going to dry out.

Maksutov
2005-May-26, 02:07 AM
According to the Mount Washington Observatory, there is a huge high pressure area currently stuck over Greenland. It is acting as an obstruction to lows coming up the east coast of North America. The lows keep following the same path due to a persistent trough off the coast. These lows normally shoot out to sea above Labrador this time of year. But with the Greenland high blocking their path, two things are happening.

First the lows are stalling off New England/Canada, out over the Gulf of Maine, and the rain associated with them is lasting much longer than it normally would. Second, the related airflow is pulling down cold Arctic air, so it's not just rain but cold rain. At higher elevations, it's freezing rain and snow. For instance, Mt. Washington has been getting snow for the last week. The normal snowfall total for May is about 12" and they've received more than that over the past few days.

Of course the Mount Washington Observatory is just a "front" for the NWO. :wink: