PDA

View Full Version : Tony the Tiger dies

ToSeek
2005-May-25, 04:42 PM
The voice, that is (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002286229_tonyobit24.html)

Thurl Ravenscroft of Fullerton, Calif., whose voice was known worldwide through his work in movies and television and at Disneyland, died Sunday of prostate cancer. He was 91.

Tony the Tiger? That was Mr. Ravenscroft.

Disneyland? Too many voices to mention, but Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion and the Enchanted Tiki Room were all graced by Mr. Ravenscroft's voice.

Movies? How about "Cinderella," "Dumbo" and "Lady and the Tramp"?
"I'm the only man in the world that has made a career with one word: Grrrrreeeeat!"

He also sings the Grinch song in the television version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Candy
2005-May-25, 05:32 PM
Ahhhhh! They reported the story here on the ManCow Show, but with a twist. They said he died in the Chicago Zoo from prostate cancer.

Nowhere Man
2005-May-25, 05:45 PM
I heard this on CBC2 a couple of days ago :cry: .

One piece of voice work that he did, but didn't get credit for, was singing "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" in How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Fred
(edit to fix typo, see Candy's reply for the original goof)

Candy
2005-May-25, 05:54 PM
I heard this on CBC2 a couple of days ago :cry: .

One piece of voice work that he did, but didn't get credit for, was singing "You're a Man One, Mr. Grinch" in How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Fred
They did here in Chicago. They are playing everything he did. 8)

Gillianren
2005-May-25, 06:36 PM
see, now I'm all sad. not only did I know that he sang "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch," but I can actually identify which of the statues in the Haunted Mansion he was. (he should've had a cameo in the Eddie Murphy movie; the man was an excellent voice actor and--if you've ever seen the "making of" special for Grinch--a genuinely funny guy.)

Maksutov
2005-May-26, 03:56 AM
Shoot, that's not so grrrreeaatt news. :cry: Thank you for all the great voices, Mr. Ravenscroft!

Meanwhile, I can imagine the sign outside the funeral parlor:

We've got a tiger in our embalming tank!

The Bad Astronomer
2005-May-26, 06:19 PM
No article I have seen mentions that he was the robot in "Lost in Space".

That's why I'm sad. :(

SeanF
2005-May-26, 06:25 PM
No article I have seen mentions that he was the robot in "Lost in Space".

That's why I'm sad. :(
Do you know something IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0876185/) doesn't?

The Bad Astronomer
2005-May-26, 07:08 PM
Evidently not. I thought it was the same guy... so I retract my previous post.

SciFi Chick
2005-May-26, 07:11 PM
Evidently not. I thought it was the same guy... so I retract my previous post.

At least that guy isn't dead. That's comforting. :)

Maksutov
2005-May-27, 03:37 AM
Unfortunately the original voice of Robby (Marvin Miller in Forbidden Planet) passed away in 1985. That reminds me, Anne Francis :D was on TCM a while ago, reminiscing about the making of that film. She mentioned that the original "actor" in the robot suit had a drinking problem, and in one scene where Robby is exiting the speeder car, the actor inside, who had had a "liquid lunch", missed the "off ramp" and crash landed. A new actor was found for the retake. Ironically, both actors were named...nope, not that...Frankie.