PDA

View Full Version : Safety belts?!?!

DroneFour
2005-May-26, 09:19 AM
When did seat belts become safety belts? The current batch of PSA's around here are calling seat belts, "Safety belts." Before they were seat belts they were "Those things that you weren't supposed to play with because they're not toys", and that was back in the 70's. Who knows what they'll be next?

captain swoop
2005-May-26, 09:29 AM
Never heard them called SAfety belts in the UK

Maksutov
2005-May-26, 09:31 AM
They're seat belts around here. That's even the name of the law requiring their use. (MS, USA).

Fram
2005-May-26, 09:53 AM
In Dutch, they are either belts or safety belts, never seat belts. But I don't think that Dutch has that much influence that people will talk about safety belts in English as well because of us :lol:

Tranquility
2005-May-26, 10:48 AM
In Arabic we say both seat belts and safety belts, but like Dutch, I don't see that as an influence :D

Hehe what's the big deal anyway? Who cares what they're called :D

mickal555
2005-May-26, 11:05 AM
seat belts here

Maksutov
2005-May-26, 11:09 AM
In Arabic we say both seat belts and safety belts, but like Dutch, I don't see that as an influence :D

Hehe what's the big deal anyway? Who cares what they're called :D
Probably the barristers, because, if one of their clients is wearing a safety belt and gets injured, then, my, my, don't we have a case, what?

NEOWatcher
2005-May-26, 06:13 PM
I take it as: a Seat belt (one that crosses your seat/lap) is a subset of Safety belt (nowadays a seat belt and shoulder belt)?

Nicolas
2005-May-26, 06:16 PM
In Dutch, they are either belts or safety belts, never seat belts. But I don't think that Dutch has that much influence that people will talk about safety belts in English as well because of us :lol:

We use "car belt" as well.

beskeptical
2005-May-26, 06:17 PM
Is there an issue? Seat belt also can be called lap belt or have an additional shoulder harness. The semantics wouldn't matter unless you are questioning the safety benefit of using them. After all it belts the human to the seat so really isn't belting the seat. :P

Enzp
2005-May-28, 08:16 AM
Is it a spiggot, a tap, or a faucet? Is it a couch or a sofa? People use the two terms interchangably, and I think the preferred term varies from place to place. If the PSA is made elsewhere, they might use the term less familiar to you, but common to them.

Whenever I want a bottle of pop, my sister tries to correct me, "do you mean a soda?"

Maksutov
2005-May-28, 09:40 AM
Is it a spiggot, a tap, or a faucet? Is it a couch or a sofa? People use the two terms interchangably, and I think the preferred term varies from place to place. If the PSA is made elsewhere, they might use the term less familiar to you, but common to them.

Whenever I want a bottle of pop, my sister tries to correct me, "do you mean a soda?"
Not mention coke/soft drink, ottoman/lounge/divan, milkshake/frappe, grinder/sub/italian/hoagie/po-boy, and my all-time favorite, kitty-cornered/catacorner/cata-cornered/catercorner/cater-cornered, catty-corner/catty-cornered/kitty-corner. :D

papageno
2005-May-28, 11:45 AM
It is the same in Italy: safety belts or belts.

mickal555
2005-May-28, 11:59 AM

No offence to anyone but for some reason, I cannot explain I really hate the word faucet. No other word annoys/angers me quite like it does.

2005-May-28, 12:08 PM
There's always diaper? 8-[

Maksutov
2005-May-28, 12:11 PM

No offence to anyone but for some reason, I cannot explain I really hate the word faucet. No other word annoys/angers me quite like it does.
This wouldn't be the reason, would it? (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/2524/Events/2524/FarrahFawc_Grani_3116451_400.jpg?path=pgallery&pat h_key=Fawcett,%20Farrah) 8)

darkhunter
2005-May-28, 12:41 PM

No, they're all coke :D

Then there's hood/bonnet, fender/wing. trunk/book, artic/articulated lorry/tractor-trailer/semi, pickup truck/van/wagon, estate/station wagon, gas/gasoline/petrol, gearhead/petrolhead/boy racer....and that's just some of the ones for cars/autos/automobiles/vehicles... 8)

Trebuchet
2005-May-28, 01:57 PM
.... Is it a couch or a sofa? ....

"davenport"

Haven't actually heard that one for a while, it was common when I was a kid.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-May-28, 02:24 PM
Chesterfield! You get that one in the Maritimes frequently.

mickal555
2005-May-28, 02:42 PM
wer have a chesterfield it's an old couch with dunny button nails in it- they make depressions like warped spacetime..

darkhunter
2005-May-28, 07:57 PM
.... Is it a couch or a sofa? ....

"davenport"

Haven't actually heard that one for a while, it was common when I was a kid.

settee? (sp?)

mickal555
2005-May-29, 12:18 AM
ah- when some one said that to me(before I heard of it) about 2 months ago I thouhgt they were talking about seti

SeanF
2005-May-29, 12:53 AM
trunk/book
I'm pretty sure this is a typo - you meant boot, right? :)

artic/articulated lorry/tractor-trailer/semi
Hold on a sec - tractor-trailer and semi are not the same thing. Tractor-semitrailer. That's why it's called a semi. (FYI - a trailer's weight is entirely on the trailer's wheels. A semitrailer's weight is partially on the tractor's wheels.

pickup truck/van/wagon
Again, at least here, a pickup truck and a van are two entirely different things. :-?

darkhunter
2005-May-29, 04:55 AM
trunk/book
I'm pretty sure this is a typo - you meant boot, right? :)

:oops: i meant boot

artic/articulated lorry/tractor-trailer/semiHold on a sec - tractor-trailer and semi are not the same thing. Tractor-semitrailer. That's why it's called a semi. (FYI - a trailer's weight is entirely on the trailer's wheels. A semitrailer's weight is partially on the tractor's wheels.

We are talking about what things are called....I've heard tractor-trailer and semi used interchangably (maynot correctly, but used that way)

pickup truck/van/wagon
Again, at least here, a pickup truck and a van are two entirely different things. :-?
Not in the UK...had to convince the person sending in the registration stuff for my truck to call it a pickup instead of a van...then she wanted to put it down as a wagon...