PDA

View Full Version : Bad 'Hagelslag'

MHS
2002-Aug-04, 08:24 PM
Before I'll tell you about the bad part, I have to explain something. Here in Holland we do strange things. One of those things is that we put little bits of chocolate on bread. We buy these chocolatebits ('hagelslag') in little paper boxes. On the back of the boxes they print some sort of 'children's newspaper' which contains all sorts of information. This is where the bad astronomy comes in. They actually wrote that our Sun is 10 times bigger than our own Earth!! I don't know if they're comparing the diameter or the volume, but in both cases they're obviously horribly wrong. What really bugs me is that this information was clearly meant to inform young children. These children now tell all their friends that the Sun is 10 times bigger than our own planet. They'll maybe even tell their parents without them noticing anything wrong. Should I write to the company? I think I'm going to. They'll probably be stunned by the real numbers!

Donnie B.
2002-Aug-04, 09:01 PM
Yes, definitely write/email the company. They should be corrected when they distribute such blatantly wrong information.

When I was a kid, an American magazine (Highlights for Children) printed a story about the phases of the Moon that included the common misconception that they were caused by the Earth's shadow covering parts of the Moon!

I wrote to them (I was still a kid, but I knew how wrong that was). They published a correction, and I got a nice letter acknowedging mine (of course, mine was one of hundreds they received).

Phobos
2002-Aug-04, 10:17 PM
On 2002-08-04 17:01, Donnie B. wrote:
Yes, definitely write/email the company. They should be corrected when they distribute such blatantly wrong information.

When I was a kid, an American magazine (Highlights for Children) printed a story about the phases of the Moon that included the common misconception that they were caused by the Earth's shadow covering parts of the Moon!

I wrote to them (I was still a kid, but I knew how wrong that was). They published a correction, and I got a nice letter acknowedging mine (of course, mine was one of hundreds they received).

When I was a young lad (about 6/7) I asked my dad about the changing shape of the moon as although I had heard it was caused by the Earths shadow, I had reasoned that this could not be true. I could accept a crescent moon being caused by Earth shadow, but not a 3/4 moon.

My dad looked at me somewhat surprised at the question and said that it was because the moon goes behind a cloud. I gave up asking my dad those sort of questions.

Phobos

MHS
2002-Aug-18, 04:52 PM
The last few days I've been at an introduction weekend, because I'm going to do 'aerospace engeneering' next year at the Delft University. I showed one of the older students the line about the Sun being 10 times bigger than the Earth and he answered 'I don't know much about spacetravel, but isn't it a little more?'.

The weekend was great /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Aug-18, 09:38 PM
On 2002-08-18 12:52, MHS wrote:
The last few days I've been at an introduction weekend, because I'm going to do 'aerospace engeneering' next year at the Delft University. I showed one of the older students the line about the Sun being 10 times bigger than the Earth and he answered 'I don't know much about spacetravel, but isn't it a little more?'.

He sounds like my kind of Guy.

You know, a Douglas Adams Fan, just Waiting to Happen!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZaphodBeeblebrox on 2002-08-18 17:39 ]</font>

Sarcastronaught
2002-Aug-19, 04:00 AM
Hee hee!
MHS - could you please scan the info from this box and send it to me at chasm_of_chills@yahoo.com if you have access to a scanner?
(A translation would also be nice)
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

moving_target
2002-Aug-19, 06:36 AM
check this (http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Sarist.htm)out

any chance that 'newspaper' was written by ancent greeks? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Aug-19, 07:01 AM
I'm not sure what Stan Odenwald is saying about the diameter of the Sun, in his column How do I make a scaled model of the solar system that would fit in a classroom? (http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/a11392.html) Is the Sun's diameter represented by a grain of sand, or the 40 foot room? Either one seems out of scale with an Earth of .04 inches.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Aug-19, 08:19 AM
On 2002-08-19 03:01, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
I'm not sure what Stan Odenwald is saying about the diameter of the Sun, in his column How do I make a scaled model of the solar system that would fit in a classroom? (http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/a11392.html) Is the Sun's diameter represented by a grain of sand, or the 40 foot room? Either one seems out of scale with an Earth of .04 inches.

What we have Here, is Yet Another Episode, in The Ongoing Adventures, of Metric Man, Man, Man, Man, man ...

His Continuing Mission, to Shame those Stupid, not to mention Ugly, Americans, into Switching, to The Metric System,
System, System, System, system ...

This Week's Episode: The Case of The Man, Who Wanted to Have his Cake, and Eat It, Too!

Alright, alright, but it Just Had to be Said.

Anyway, while a 40 foot Room, is about right for The Whole Solar System, not counting Pluto's Meanderings, (Just Send someone 10 Feet out The Door, and down a Flight of Stairs, for That One) it is 12 Times The Size, of what is Really Necessary.

In other words, if he'd Just made his Earth, along with Relative Sizes for The Other Planets, .48 inches, we wouldn't have Even Had This Discussion, in The First Place!

For a Much Better Execution, of A Solar System Model, Just Check Out the Following Site: The Thousand-Yard Model! (http://www.noao.edu/education/peppercorn/pcmain.html)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZaphodBeeblebrox on 2002-08-19 04:27 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Aug-19, 12:41 PM
On 2002-08-19 04:19, ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:
[quote]
those Stupid, not to mention Ugly, Americans

First, one foot disappears.

Anyway, while a 40 foot Room, is about right for The Whole Solar System, not counting Pluto's Meanderings, (Just Send someone 10 Feet out The Door, and down a Flight of Stairs, for That One) it is 12 Times The Size, of what is Really Necessary.

Then the other foot.

In other words, if he'd Just made his Earth, along with Relative Sizes for The Other Planets, .48 inches, we wouldn't have Even Had This Discussion, in The First Place!

Then his head.

Let's see, if the Earth were .48 inches, then the Sun would be 4 feet wide and right over 40 feet away. So, that's all that's necessary?

And what's metric about that? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Aug-20, 01:25 AM
On 2002-08-19 08:41, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
Let's see, if the Earth were .48 inches, then the Sun would be 4 feet wide and right over 40 feet away. So, that's all that's necessary?

And what's metric about that? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Well, I meant 4.8 inches, to go with a 40 foot Sun, but you get The Idea.

Strangely enough, if he'd Just Left off the Units, it'd be Fine, but ...

Anyway, if you all Want to Calculate it, for yourselves, Just Check out this Site: Build A Solar System. (http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/solar_system/)

Valiant Dancer
2002-Aug-20, 07:30 PM
On 2002-08-19 03:01, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

He has two seperate models. One for a solar system mapped out on the floor with regard to scale of the planets to the sun. (Although the sun's diameter is attempted to be shown to scale as the small grain of sand.) The second one appears to have an error. The sun should be about 4.36 inches by my calculations.

Actual diameter of Sun - 1,390,000 km
Actual diameter of Earth - 12,756.3 km
(numbers by the nine planets website)
Earth to Sun ratio: the sun is approximately 109 times the diameter of Earth.
scale to Earth in model - .04 inches for earth would result in a 4.36 inch sun. Not 40 feet.

Although the scale of the sun is wrong in the 40 foot model. He claims .01 inches for a diameter of the sun in a 40 foot scale solar system. For a scale model pluto orbit of 42 feet 6 inches (got mercury's orbit to the 5 inch scale) I needed a sun diameter of .12 inches. (source Zaphod's Walk the Solar System calculator.)

Edited to correct sun diameter ofr 40 foot scale model.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Valiant Dancer on 2002-08-20 15:43 ]</font>

MHS
2002-Aug-22, 07:32 PM
On 2002-08-19 00:00, Sarcastronaught wrote:
Hee hee!
MHS - could you please scan the info from this box and send it to me at chasm_of_chills@yahoo.com if you have access to a scanner?
(A translation would also be nice)
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I'll do it ASAP.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Aug-23, 01:45 AM
On 2002-08-20 15:30, Valiant Dancer wrote:
(source Zaphod's Walk the Solar System calculator.)

Thanks!

But, The Real Thanks should go to Ron Hipschman, (http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/index.html) it's his Page, After All.