PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Sightings

NEOWatcher
2005-May-26, 06:02 PM
Well... After lurking on this site for many years, I'm finally taking the dive. So many time's I've wanted to chime in... So here I go.

Even though I live here (NEO as in N.E. Ohio) I don't contribute with this unfortunate statistic.

Ohio has the second most UFO sightings in the country.

One of the top stories right now. I watched the video, and was almost rolling in the aisles.
(warning, this story includes: UFO's, Saskwatch, Lake Erie monster. )

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4534754/detail.html

No one else reported a blimp, so it must be a UFO...

(Can't wait for your collective witty replies)

Candy
2005-May-26, 06:10 PM
One of the most well-known sightings took place in the Cuyahoga Valley National Forest a few years ago. Several surprised motorists reported seeing a large hairy creature with human-like features crossing Interstate 271.
Oh, this statement is begging for a Maksutov moment. 8-[

kucharek
2005-May-26, 06:54 PM
One of the most well-known sightings took place in the Cuyahoga Valley National Forest a few years ago. Several surprised motorists reported seeing a large hairy creature with human-like features crossing Interstate 271.
Maybe one of the guys who wanted to avoid to be drafted for service in Vietnam, never found the Canadian border and never caught the news. Like those japanese soldiers forgotten on some islands in the Pacific...

sidmel
2005-May-26, 07:05 PM
Oh, this statement is begging for a Maksutov moment. 8-[

I think this calls for reviving the wood chuck chucking wood pun thread. Man I miss that one.

Humphrey
2005-May-26, 07:23 PM
Hmmm... Hairy creature crossing Ohio highway?

Ok...Who let Robin Williams loose? Come on fess up!

Archer17
2005-May-26, 07:30 PM
I think it was one of them Cleveland Dawg Pound denizens that got lost in his quest to find a real football team. :P

Rumor has it that he almost made it to Pittsburgh too.. :wink:

Welcome to the board NEO.

NEOWatcher
2005-May-26, 07:52 PM
It depends on what you mean real
Really good? Really stupid? I love to watch, but I rate the new browns with the new coke.

Thx for the welcome. I thought I'd start with this subject because I found this site when I was trying to figure out my first UFO (never thought alien, just unidentified). Turned out to be Iridium flare. Since then, saw some pretty wierd (but explainable) stuff.[/u]

Swift
2005-May-26, 08:01 PM
Welcome NEOWatcher. Another fellow traveler from the sunny north coast. :D

I particularly liked this sentence from the article...

Ohio is home to some of the most UFO sightings in the country.
Ohio must also be home to some of the most bad grammar. For those who are not familiar with this website, it is the official website of the ABC affiliate in Cleveland. #-o

There was also this poll with the article....
Do you believe in UFOs?
Percentage of 4112 Votes
Yes 3268 79%
No 844 21%

I hope the yes votes meant "yes, I believe there exist objects that are unidentified, but that doesn't mean that are extra-terrestial in nature", but I really doubt that. Another #-o

Maksutov
2005-May-27, 01:50 AM
Well, one thing for sure, Ohio (or at least NewsChannel 5) appears to have some of the country's shortest cameramen.

http://img201.echo.cx/img201/1008/shortcameraman6jr.th.jpg (http://img201.echo.cx/my.php?image=shortcameraman6jr.jpg)

Meanwhile, is it true that, in Ohio, "UFO" stands for "Unidentified Furry Object?

http://img201.echo.cx/img201/952/hairycreature6js.th.jpg (http://img201.echo.cx/my.php?image=hairycreature6js.jpg)

Finally, reliable sources have reported that the hairy creature was none other than Dennis Kucinich, who had been forced to leave his riverside refrigerator box when the Cuyahoga caught fire again and destroyed the vegan's residence.

NEOWatcher
2005-May-27, 11:37 AM
He has to be short to interview Dennis. :lol:

I was also trying to find a story they had about a local haunted theater, with all the pictures of the "orbs". I guess they cleaned thier lenses. I'm sure they'll come up with more stuff.

The worst part is, I used to think that this was one of the better news channels. :-?

Swift
2005-May-27, 12:56 PM
He has to be short to interview Dennis. :lol:

I was also trying to find a story they had about a local haunted theater, with all the pictures of the "orbs". I guess they cleaned thier lenses. I'm sure they'll come up with more stuff.

The worst part is, I used to think that this was one of the better news channels. :-?
It probably is one of the "better" ones, but better is a relative term - poor is relatively better than horrible. :wink:

NEOWatcher
2007-May-11, 04:18 PM
Ok; it's been 2 years since we had the second most UFO sightings...
NOW;

Cleveland has the most UFO investigators in the world (http://www.newsnet5.com/news/13295202/detail.html)
No; I'm not proud of that.

"There are unusual things that are manmade here. Quite often they appear to show curiosity with new construction building a dam or a factory or something, and there is a UFO sighting in conjunction with it," said UFO investigator Richard Lee.

Aliens never saw a dam or factory before?

Two years ago, Olmsted Falls police officers followed bright lights in the sky after receiving numerous phone calls from residents who saw strange green and red lights moving across the sky. They were never identified.

And the blimp was out, but no one reported the blimp that night... (from the OP)

It somehow seems appropriate they hold their meetings in a Funeral Home.

The video keeps calling the unknown sightings "paranormal".

Fazor
2007-May-11, 04:44 PM
The video keeps calling the unknown sightings "paranormal".
you gotta admit, the people reporting the "sightings" are indeed not normal. ;)

NEOWatcher
2008-Jan-23, 05:15 PM
Normally, I wouldn't consider something on YouTube to be worth mentioning by itself, but, this one is mentioned on the news today even though it is old.
( here (http://www.woio.com/) as Lake Erie UFO Caught on tape...sorry, no direct link)

He's convinced it's ET. The station is re-airing it, because the first time, it caused problem with thier equipment. :rolleyes:

This guy's YouTube is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QZxsM8xWFA) with a description similar to today's story.
Anybody want to count the occurances of "dude"?
He also mentions a "refueling"...imagine that.

Many skeptics believe the lights pictured above are two distant jets coming at us in a landing pattern - appearing to hover. Other skeptics say these are two police cars driving across a hill at night - on parallel roads with distance forcing the perspective.

We don't think so.
1) Michael Lee Hill tells us he shot this in Eastlake, Ohio. In this topo map of the area you will see no hills near or across the shoreline.
And doesn't apply to airplanes.

2) If these aircraft are flying towards Eastlake then we can only find two destinations, Lost Nation Municipal Airport and Cuyahoga County Airport. Neither of these airports look the part for what would be obviously BIG planes on approach. And they are right because they are not flying toward Eastlake... They seem to be headed toward Hopkins international airport along the same direction as the main runway.

3) If these aircraft were coming in to Cleveland Airport they would be traveling from right to left.
They are...

4) In the frame grab above shouldn't there be an appreciable size difference between two aircraft of this size, miles apart even with the alleged mirage affect? Not from miles away.

Gillianren
2008-Jan-23, 08:32 PM
Wow. Your first post was also your first thread. And all about stupid not-actually-aliens! (Note that I'm not calling you stupid; your analysis of the recent sightings seems pretty spot-on to me.)

NEOWatcher
2009-Apr-30, 05:02 PM
Ok; now I'm down to 1 year for the bump on this thread.

Mysterious Object Appears in Sky Over Cleveland (http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-mystery-object,0,1188675.story)

A whole one or two pixels in the sky for less than a second and it prompts people to call in? :rolleyes:

It appears above the rightmost tower (the darkest one) when the pan puts it near center screen.

Fazor
2009-Apr-30, 05:14 PM
People actually called in over that? Well . . . next time I feel I have no life and am a boring loser that needs more hobbies, I'll think of this video. :)

I'm sure someone with more technical expertise could debunk it properly, but it sure looks much more like a video artifact (either from the camera, or from digital processing) than an actual, physical object in the sky.

Swift
2009-Apr-30, 06:01 PM
I had to play it about 5 times before I even noticed it. We are talking about something that looks like 2 pixels. Might be an artifact, could also be an airplane reflecting sunlight (the directions seemed about right). A whole lot of nothing.

Fazor
2009-Apr-30, 06:03 PM
I had to play it about 5 times before I even noticed it.
Same. At first I thought they were talking about those two little clouds.

Which brings up another important point; who the hell is watching the news that closely for things in the sky?

NEOWatcher
2009-Apr-30, 08:06 PM
I had to play it about 5 times before I even noticed it. We are talking about something that looks like 2 pixels.
Don't say I didn't warn you. :lol:

Might be an artifact, could also be an airplane reflecting sunlight (the directions seemed about right). A whole lot of nothing.
Or a seagull. It's hard to tell the distance because it doesn't pass in front or behind anything. It does seem to rise slightly at first.
But; I would be willing to accept airplane. That does seem to be about the right trajectory for a takeoff from Burke to the west.

But don't forget. 8 went hi def already. So it's probably somebody pasted against thier new plasma gloating about seeing new stuff.

Gillianren
2009-Apr-30, 08:07 PM
Wait--there are people who have more time on their hands than I do?

kleindoofy
2009-Apr-30, 08:19 PM
... Ohio Sightings ...
Somebody sighted Ohio? :eek:

... Ohio has the second most UFO sightings in the country. ...
Aha, and also the second most expensive mental health insurance?

Maybe Ohio just needs less corn and more sheep. ;)

Fazor
2009-Apr-30, 08:22 PM
Maybe Ohio just needs less corn and more sheep.

But then where would all our cows go?

NEOWatcher
2009-Apr-30, 08:24 PM
Somebody sighted Ohio? :eek:
Actually, I think it should be Ohio Cited, but we shouldn't be talking politics on this board. :lol:

kleindoofy
2009-Apr-30, 08:25 PM
@Fazor

I was referring more to giving those lonely country folk with too much time on there hands something to do. ;)

Fazor
2009-Apr-30, 09:30 PM
Ah, I see. Well, if it helps, most of the "sightings" seem to come from those crazy NE Ohioans centered in and around Cleveland. That's what happens when you drink that crazy water.

kleindoofy
2009-Apr-30, 09:43 PM
Maybe the Ohionians, err, Ohioers, err, Ohians, err, Ohis, err whatever, are just seeing stars after all those years of "swinging."

... we shouldn't be talking politics on this board. :lol:
Oops. ;)

Jason_Roberts
2009-May-01, 06:39 AM
Looked like some kind of columbidae to me.

But then it "vanished."

...bah.

Salty
2009-May-01, 05:22 PM
Neat thread and sane posts.

I think there's probably somethings we call UFOs, which aren't ours. But, I think most UFO sightings can be either explained by natural phenomena or explained as our own classified aircraft. Very few sightings left over as true UFOs.

If and only if there really are such UFOs, I think they're not from another planet.

Gotta go, time's up.

Gillianren
2009-May-01, 05:26 PM
UFO means unidentified. Once we've identified everything we can, what's left is unidentified. That says nothing about the possibilities as to what it is. Why is this so hard to understand?

Salty
2009-May-02, 10:26 PM
Well, Gillianren, I guess I'm as bad as anybody else, in what I'm about to write.

We seem to have a strong tendency to label or catagorize everything. We want to know...I love a mystery and don't mind that there's stuff out there, which we have not identified. I agree, we tend to make to big a thing out of the unidentified things.

Well, I made it to the library, three times this week. When I post comments to people, I try not to run off, for a week.

ABR.
2009-May-02, 11:13 PM
kleindoofy, I, too have seen Ohio. I was in northern Kentucky on a back road one lonely Saturday afternoon. The road led up to the Ohio River and beyond I could see the gleaming city of Cincinnati. Ohio exists. I have seen it.

Gillianren
2009-May-02, 11:46 PM
My best friend claims to have lived there! (Actually, she's finally moving out in the next few days, which is good for a long list of reasons.)

Moose
2009-May-03, 12:11 AM
(NEO as in N.E. Ohio)

Is that what it stands for? I'd figured the high-probability bet was that you were into meteor-spotting. :)

Have had a couple of my classes ask me if there are aliens out there. :doh:

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-08, 08:54 PM
I guess it's that time of the year when Ohioans pop out of thier deep winter slumber and start looking at the sky.
It's been nearly a year since the last bump.

UFOs Over Lake Erie? (http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-ohio-ufos-over-lake-erie-pictures,0,6755335.story)

While describing to Fox 8 what he had seen, Erlikh said that orblike objects emitted "brilliant colors." He added that, while sometimes they did fly solo, they would on occasion fly together, seemingly "making line formations and triangles in the sky."

I'll take a stab at the pictures...
1) Airplane landing light in a mist/fog.
2) Without information, it could be anything.
3) same as 1
4) Dropped the camera?
5) oooH, Another mysterious dot. Assuming the line of lights is the north coast (ie facing north) it's probably an incomming alien in the distance. (Alien - as in not a U.S. Citizen. Probably Canadian)
6) Kilroy was here - but sideways.
7) Airplane and shaky camera. (shake up/down wil plane goes side to side)

Provence
2010-Mar-08, 09:51 PM
kleindoofy, I, too have seen Ohio. I was in northern Kentucky on a back road one lonely Saturday afternoon. The road led up to the Ohio River and beyond I could see the gleaming city of Cincinnati. Ohio exists. I have seen it.

I have not seen Ohio, but I am keeping my eyes open.

Gillianren
2010-Mar-08, 10:06 PM
On the other hand, I don't think we have enough proof that Fazor exists.

Provence
2010-Mar-08, 10:08 PM

Hah. I'll bet you even think you exist.

Swift
2010-Mar-08, 10:08 PM
photo gallery (http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-pictures-ufos-over-lake-erie,0,6155050.photogallery)
I think # 4 of the series is the most convincing one for me. ;)

Moose
2010-Mar-08, 10:39 PM
Hah. I'll bet you even think you exist.

Moose is so vain... I bet he thinks this thread is about him...

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-08, 10:50 PM
I am wondering if I exist now?

Provence
2010-Mar-08, 10:51 PM
I am wondering if I exist now?

Would it bother you if you didn't?

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Mar-08, 10:53 PM
Would it bother you if you didn't?
No.

Fazor
2010-Mar-09, 12:32 PM
You know, for some reason I've never found the saying "I think, therefore I am" very reassuring. :confused:

Kaptain K
2010-Mar-09, 12:46 PM
"I think I am, therefore I must be. I think."

Moody Blues

NEOWatcher
2010-Mar-10, 07:31 PM
I guess it's that time of the year when Ohioans pop out of thier deep winter slumber and start looking at the sky.
It's been nearly a year since the last bump.

UFOs Over Lake Erie? (http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-ohio-ufos-over-lake-erie-pictures,0,6755335.story)

The station had a follow up story on it, this time with the obligitory Dot on a shaky video clip.

UFO Returns? (http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-ufo-part2-txt,0,5590934.story)
With an interview of a Cleveland UFO Club member (who can't make anything of the video)
And, they called NASA. Guess what? They weren't testing any aircraft the past few nights.

Besides; why would it have to be NASA's aircraft?

What they fail to mention is that the approach to the airport is from that general direction. :rolleyes:

Tobin Dax
2010-Mar-11, 02:34 AM
I thought that I was a figment of Fazor's imagination.

NEOWatcher
2010-May-05, 05:11 PM
We got another followup.
to a followup:

The station had a follow up story on it, this time with the obligitory Dot on a shaky video clip.
UFO Returns? (http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-ufo-part2-txt,0,5590934.story)

of this post&story:

I guess it's that time of the year...

This time it's been solved (of course except for the one's who want to believe)
UFO Sighting in Cleveland Explained (http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-ufo-cleveland-sightings-explained-txt,0,6814012.story)

Thomas Wertman. He is a member of the C.U.P. and the Mutual UFO Network, a national organization....
Using star charts and flight tracking software, Wertman determined the lights are coming from airplanes likely making a turn as they land at Hopkins. "Everything pointed in that direction and there really isn't too much doubt in my mind what it was," said Wertman.

But that determination isn't unanimous. "Um, yeah, they're not airplanes," said Michael Lee Hill.

Gee; remember what I said from the earlier post?

What they fail to mention is that the approach to the airport is from that general direction. :rolleyes:

Oh; and a candidate for the read it again thread:

Eugene said he has heard from people around the world, including Michael Lee Hill. He happens to live near Eugene and claims to have seen the same thing

Now that's really spanning the globe.

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-27, 07:59 PM
New sighting

VIDEO: Did Lorain County girl capture UFO on video in Penfield? (http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/oh_lorain/video-did-lorain-county-girl-capture-ufo-on-video-in-penfield)

or better yet. 12 year old girl sees a mylar balloon.
Totally not ready for a news story.
Typical shaky video - no reference points - not a clear picture.

It's either a mylar balloon, a blimp, or a falling whale.
Although; I didn't hear anyone saying "ound..round..ground" so I rule out the latter.

Swift
2012-Mar-27, 08:25 PM
It's either a mylar balloon, a blimp, or a falling whale.
Although; I didn't hear anyone saying "ound..round..ground" so I rule out the latter.
There is actual evidence (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzod6yfjzh1qbw7z0o1_500.png) of falling whales in the greater Cleveland metro area.... ;)

swampyankee
2012-Mar-27, 09:30 PM
Cuyahoga County? Isn't there a river around that area that required a fire watch be kept because it was inflammable? (I went to college in the early 1970s; several of my college classmates were from Cleveland and its metro area). Obviously, combustible water is attractive to aliens.

Fazor
2012-Mar-28, 01:37 AM
Looks like it's one of those air swimmers (http://www.basspro.com/Air-Swimmer-Flying-Remote-Control-Shark/product/10231308/230863?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductads&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductads&affcode_c=17kw2359705&SST=30ab52ff-5d67-9f89-da2e-000058ca8847). Coincidentally, I want one. So. Very. Bad. My birthday's in April, just so y'all know...

swampyankee
2012-Mar-28, 02:08 AM
Ah, yes. The whales in the rivers and streams of Ohio took to the air to avoid the inflammable waters of the Cuyahoga, and the Monday through Saturday fishermen.

DoggerDan
2012-Mar-28, 12:58 PM
Wait--there are people who have more time on their hands than I do?

It's not a matter of time, Gillianren. It's a matter of one's life experiences. I can barely identify with what Mark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kelly_(astronaut)) went through in response to the attempted assassination of his wife. They survived. I've worked around the world. I survived.

My experiences are very different from Mark's, yet our conclusions are somewhat similar.

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-28, 05:31 PM
Looks like it's one of those air swimmers (http://www.basspro.com/Air-Swimmer-Flying-Remote-Control-Shark/product/10231308/230863?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductads&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductads&affcode_c=17kw2359705&SST=30ab52ff-5d67-9f89-da2e-000058ca8847). Coincidentally, I want one. So. Very. Bad. My birthday's in April, just so y'all know...

Fazor wins the prize. (or saw the updated article)

Last Updated: 1 hour and 39 minutes ago
Around 3:45 p.m., the sheriff's office called us and said the mystery has been solved. As many of you suggested, it was a remote controlled flying shark. The wind likely got a hold of it and up, up and away it went.
Imagine all the wasted resources just because someone has a UFO belief and sees a toy.

Ah, yes. The whales in the rivers and streams of Ohio took to the air to avoid the inflammable waters of the Cuyahoga, and the Monday through Saturday fishermen.
And they never even thanked us for all the fish like the other considerate mammals did.

Fazor
2012-Mar-28, 06:09 PM
Fazor wins the prize. (or saw the updated article)

Hadn't seen the article, but the profile was pretty obvious. In fact, the only reason I posted "Looks like one..." is because I went back and edited wording along the lines of "It's painfully obvious that it's..."

For the record, the only reason I made that edit was because after spending four years here at BAUT, I've argued too many times against the "looks like" evidence to turn around and say it as unverified truth myself. So as you see, BAUT does have a positive effect on people.

...or, it appears to? ;)

NEOWatcher
2012-Mar-29, 05:06 PM
Hadn't seen the article, but the profile was pretty obvious.
So; now that we can't pick on "looks like" can we pick on the fact that somehow saw the picture without seeing the article? ;)