PDA

View Full Version : John Lennon Park

sarongsong
2005-May-28, 02:59 AM
"... In December 2000, to general astonishment, Fidel himself unveiled the life-size bronze statue of the Beatle lounging permanently on one of the benches..."
http://www.cubaheritage.com/articles.asp?artID=461

sidmel
2005-May-28, 02:36 PM
That's awesome that a band and there music can jump the cultural, racial and political gaps to bring us all a bit closer together. One of the few things that makes me feel better about our future and a lesson I wish more people would take to heart.

'Cause I'm the walrus...

Also leads to one of my biggest regrets that I never got to see The Beatles live in concert.

Melusine
2005-May-30, 04:38 AM
From the link:

The statue is a good example of Cuban cultural appropriation: this is definitely John Lennon and it is a good likeness, but there is something essentially Cuban about him; with his long hair, slight bone structure, and open-necked shirt, he could be any one of Havana's faranduleros.
I don't know why I find that amusing, but I do. He does have a Cuban look to him, lol.

Yeah, the Beatles. It's pretty amazing what four lads and some music can do. I have a picture of my room when Lennon died and I had some shrine-like thing going on. That was the only musician I did that for (I was young). George Harrison was actually my favorite, though. It's odd when I hear some people say they don't like the Beatle's music, since their early music is one thing, the later another. But I guess there are people who don't care for it. Hmm.

TriangleMan
2005-May-30, 10:55 AM
From a CNN article (http://archives.cnn.com/2000/WORLD/americas/12/08/lennon.cuba.reut/):

Communist Party daily Granma last year included the Beatles on a list of the most "relevant" figures of the 20th century, below Castro, Russian revolutionary Vladimir Lenin, and Argentine-born guerrilla Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

John, Fidel, Vladimir and Ernesto just doesn't have the same ring to it (and I totally see Fidel as the drummer). :wink:

Jokes aside I never really felt that John Lennon's idealistic message to improve the world through peace and love was somehow related to the communist message from the other three so it's odd that he would be so high up on this list.