PDA

View Full Version : Darth Tater vs Cuke Skywalker

Tuckerfan
2005-May-29, 09:39 PM
Actually, I'm kind of hoping Lucas sues over this. (http://www.storewars.org/flash/)

It's a pro-organic foods clip "borrowing" the Star Wars characters. The stormtroopers are pretty cool, though.

Van Rijn
2005-May-29, 10:10 PM
I see what you mean. When I started watching it, I thought it was amusing, until they got to their message. I stopped watching soon after that. Yuck.

Kristophe
2005-May-29, 10:30 PM
I distinctly noticed a lack of disclaimer saying that their views are not necessarily those of George Lucas or LucasFilms. Parody's all well and good, but I sort of was left with the feeling that they went a little too far.

Gullible Jones
2005-May-29, 10:39 PM
Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. I've gotta hand it to them, though, the shopping cart shooting at a container of strawberries at the beginning was hiliarious.

Russ
2005-May-29, 10:40 PM
Actually, I'm kind of hoping Lucas sues over this. (http://www.storewars.org/flash/)

It's a pro-organic foods clip "borrowing" the Star Wars characters. The stormtroopers are pretty cool, though.

He'll only have the opportunity if you forward this to him or his scheister.

mickal555
2005-May-29, 11:18 PM
The idea was OK/funny but the way they keep dramming the "message" in
*shakes head*

Lord Jubjub
2005-May-29, 11:23 PM
:o . . .interesting . . . :o

Mind you, I'm have no preference between organic and more modern methods of farming. . .but still, definitely showed as much creativity and techno ability as Lucas, at times.

Van Rijn
2005-May-29, 11:46 PM
Well, I get pretty annoyed at kneejerk anti-GM statements and I *WANT* to see food radiated - it doesn't harm the food but does make it less likely to harbor pathogens. I've never much seen the point of inefficient organic farming, either. Show me NUMBERS that indicate a serious safety hazard, fine, but don't bother with emotional arguments.

When they got to that stuff, it overwhelmed the "cute" graphics pretty durn quick. Honestly, who do they think they are talking to? Folks that agree with them will like it but such a strong message will just turn others off.

Gullible Jones
2005-May-30, 12:35 AM
Show me NUMBERS that indicate a serious safety hazard, fine, but don't bother with emotional arguments.

No safety hazard to you, mate... But plenty for the birds. Organophosphate-based neurotoxins have a rather nasty effect on any small critter that gets sprayed, but fortunately don't last long. Chlorine-containing insecticides, on the other hand, stay around for a long, long time, and can do some nasty things to wildlife, especially at the top of the food chain.

Oh, and certain herbicides act like estrogenic hormones in animals. As of right now, a lot of male fish and frogs are going hermaphroditic, and I suspect it won't be too long before we start seeing cancer rates in amphibians start to climb...

But please don't think I'm an antitechnological fruitcake. I support genetic engineering, because it has the potential to take care of the problems of pesticides! If we can make plants more insect-resistant, or make them grow faster to choke out weeds, we won't have to spray them with so much crap to keep our yields up!

(As for fertizilers, easily soluable phosphate fertilizers can cause algal blooms in bodies of water that they get into... But using time-release fertilizers, or less soluable ones, could probably solve that problem.)

Tuckerfan
2005-May-30, 12:47 AM
Fertilizer run off is doing such damage to lakes and rivers that researchers are pouring tons of money into finding ways to make sure that plants aren't over fertilized as they are now, in many cases.

Gullible Jones
2005-May-30, 01:16 AM
As I said, a good way to do that would be to use less common applications of time-release fertilizers.

A better way would be to genetically engineer plants to extract more nutrients from the soil... Make their roots secrete weak organic acids or something. (IIRC, some plants already do that.) Of course, Greenpeace would hate that... But Greenpeace is less pro-environment than anti-technology.

Tuckerfan
2005-May-30, 01:25 AM
As I said, a good way to do that would be to use less common applications of time-release fertilizers.

A better way would be to genetically engineer plants to extract more nutrients from the soil... Make their roots secrete weak organic acids or something. (IIRC, some plants already do that.) Of course, Greenpeace would hate that... But Greenpeace is less pro-environment than anti-technology.Well,f rom what I gather, even the time release stuff is being too heavily applied, so they're looking at ways of electronically monitoring crops to check the nutrient levels in the plants.

Gullible Jones
2005-May-30, 01:33 AM
Really? Interesting...

Tuckerfan
2005-May-30, 02:16 AM
Really? Interesting...I don't have any cites handy, but the University of MS was looking at using LEDs to monitor nutrient levels and several other universities, as well as NASA, have been looking at this issue using different methods to monitor the nutrient levels. It's evidently a huge problem in some areas with the fertilizer running off encouraging red tide and other algae blooms that are killing fish in droves.

Argos
2005-May-30, 06:39 PM
Ideology apart, it is very funny and well made. :)

Van Rijn
2005-May-31, 04:01 AM
Show me NUMBERS that indicate a serious safety hazard, fine, but don't bother with emotional arguments.

No safety hazard to you, mate... But plenty for the birds. Organophosphate-based neurotoxins have a rather nasty effect on any small critter that gets sprayed, but fortunately don't last long. Chlorine-containing insecticides, on the other hand, stay around for a long, long time, and can do some nasty things to wildlife, especially at the top of the food chain.

Oh, and certain herbicides act like estrogenic hormones in animals. As of right now, a lot of male fish and frogs are going hermaphroditic, and I suspect it won't be too long before we start seeing cancer rates in amphibians start to climb...

But please don't think I'm an antitechnological fruitcake. I support genetic engineering, because it has the potential to take care of the problems of pesticides! If we can make plants more insect-resistant, or make them grow faster to choke out weeds, we won't have to spray them with so much crap to keep our yields up!

(As for fertizilers, easily soluable phosphate fertilizers can cause algal blooms in bodies of water that they get into... But using time-release fertilizers, or less soluable ones, could probably solve that problem.)

Thanks for the info. I certainly don't promote a "spray 'em, spray 'em, and spray 'em some more!" attitude. Sometimes there does have to be a tradeoff between what is economically feasible and the ideal environmental choice, but the environmental impact should be limited as much as reasonably possible. I am interested in the issue, but when someone starts making emotional arguments without information, I stop listening.

hippietrekx
2005-May-31, 04:32 AM
WTF?

--htx

Mars
2005-May-31, 06:09 AM
I like Chew Broccoli!!!

Gullible Jones
2005-May-31, 10:18 AM
WTF?

Huh? :-?

Amadeus
2005-May-31, 12:34 PM
I like organic because it tastes better. Simple as that.
Yes I have done some blind taste tests.

Eggs,milk chicken and tomatoes are prime examples.

Organic food is not what is was 10 years ago. It used to be very over priced and look like it was grown on an allotment. Now it tends to be reasonably priced and looks good.

[edit]
As for GM which is a different thing to just organic i'am not convinced. It might be ok it might not. Here in the UK theres no need for it. So no need to take the chance.

WTF?

--htx
Implied swearing is a no-no here.

hippietrekx
2005-Jun-01, 03:49 AM
Ok... to re-phrase that...

"What in the world?"

Better? :wink: Sorry, the, uh... amazing insanity to promote an extreme point... caused me to have such a reaction. The run-off craziness caused me to simply want to stare at the screen for minutes on end and not blink.

They have a valid point. They way they made it was completely overdramatic, though.

--htx

mickal555
2005-Jun-01, 03:59 AM
Darth Vader on eBay
An auction site for Australians only. Join us today for free. Aff

hewhocaves
2005-Jun-27, 03:47 PM
I've been in caves under some big farms. you should see the stuff that gets washed down there. there's a reason why we don't drink the water anymore.

WaxRubiks
2005-Jun-27, 04:32 PM
Next- Revenge of the Scythe.

Melusine
2005-Jun-27, 04:45 PM
Next- Revenge of the Scythe.
All right, that's a good one. =D>

Maha Vailo
2005-Jun-27, 06:45 PM
As the resident horticulturist, I have to say: Seriously, what are these people thinking? Organic agriculture simply cannot feed the world's growing population. You need technology to feed the world with a minimum of environmental impact - genetic engineering (or heck, regular breeding works to some extent here) to produce disease- and insect- resistant, fast-growing, drought-resistant, etc. crops; sensors to indicate when to water and fertilize; irradiation to reduce spoilage and foodborne illness; and so on.

I suggest you should google "IPM" or "integrated pest management" sometime. It involves the use of all possible means (cultural, biological, mechanical, etc.) to control pests, using pesticides as a last resort. It's probably the happy medium between organic agriculture (which is too impractical on a large scale) and overuse of pesticides (which is bad for the environment and public health). I did a lot of reading (and even a term paper!) on it in college, and I find the subject fascinating.

If you folks really want organic produce, I suggest you skip the stuff in the grocery store and grow your own. It's fun and rewarding.

- Maha "easier bein' green than you think" Vailo