PDA

View Full Version : word problem

space cadet
2005-Jun-01, 12:26 AM
hey... I'm in the middle of typing a lesson plan and all of a sudden my paper has all this gibberish all over it. I'll just call it "the invisible html formatting stuff" because I don't know what the proper word for it is....but you know, there's a dot between every word, paragraph markers, little arrows everywhere, etc. I can't figure out how to make that stuff invisible again. Can someone explain to me what steps I need to take to get this thing back to normal?

Lurker
2005-Jun-01, 12:31 AM
There should be a a paragraph symbol on the standard tool bar at the top of word. If you right click on this all of that stuff should go away.

teddyv
2005-Jun-01, 12:36 AM
As Lurker has already said, click on the button with the "" to toggle the markers off.

I actually prefer this on.

Lurker
2005-Jun-01, 12:36 AM
Alternatively you can click on the tools button at the top of word. choose "options" on the menu that appears.
Then choose the view tab on the panel that appears
then under formatting marks make sure that all the little boxes are blank...

Van Rijn
2005-Jun-01, 12:39 AM
Yes, it sounds like "reveal formatting" is turned on. If you don't see the paragraph icon, you can select the "Format" menu option, select "Reveal Formatting" from the menu and uncheck "Show all formatting marks" in the "Reveal Formatting" window - but the icon trick is easier.

Van Rijn
2005-Jun-01, 12:45 AM
Oh, yeah. Multiple, obvious options to accomplish the same task. This is why I love Word so much. :wink:

space cadet
2005-Jun-01, 01:07 AM
Thanks guys. You and your computer skills rule the world.

:D

mike alexander
2005-Jun-01, 06:57 AM
Get an IBM Selectric. Or a nice fountain pen. Or a trimmed goose quill.

Yes, I'm in my semiannual hate Word period.

I also like all the autosave stuff in Word so that if you use an old report, say, as a template for a new one, apparently previous versions can tag along with the new writing.

Maksutov
2005-Jun-01, 07:13 AM

I also like all the autosave stuff in Word so that if you use an old report, say, as a template for a new one, apparently previous versions can tag along with the new writing.
Then, if you REALLY like symbolic formatting, you could switch to Ashton-Tate Multimate, AKA 1/WYSIWYG.

Ah, MS Word, the application that does too much of what you don't want it to do, and too little of what you'd like, all of which is typically cloaked by ten layers of menus! 8)

EvilBob
2005-Jun-01, 07:14 AM
Download the Remove Hidden Data Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=144E54ED-D43E-42CA-BC7B-5446D34E5360&displaylang=en) for Office 2003/XP. It gives you an entry in the 'File' menu to strip all that stuff out. I've never used it in anger though, so I don't have any idea how well it works....

Edited to add quote...

Lurker
2005-Jun-01, 04:24 PM

Then, if you REALLY like symbolic formatting, you could switch to Ashton-Tate Multimate, AKA 1/WYSIWYG.

Ah, MS Word, the application that does too much of what you don't want it to do, and too little of what you'd like, all of which is typically cloaked by ten layers of menus! 8)

hmmmmm the spell checker's not half bad... :-k

:wink:

Gillianren
2005-Jun-01, 07:13 PM
I have Open Office, because my boyfriend doesn't feel he needs a word processing program, so I had to download a free one.

I hate having Open Office, because I can't forward files to people in the expectation of people actually being able to read them. Open Office will open Word files (usually), but not Works files--I had Works for a while, and now, those files just sit there--and Word will not open Open Office files.

don't get me wrong--I'm not in favor of monopoly on this subject. but is compatibility too much to ask?

teddyv
2005-Jun-01, 07:18 PM
I have Open Office, because my boyfriend doesn't feel he needs a word processing program, so I had to download a free one.

I hate having Open Office, because I can't forward files to people in the expectation of people actually being able to read them. Open Office will open Word files (usually), but not Works files--I had Works for a while, and now, those files just sit there--and Word will not open Open Office files.

don't get me wrong--I'm not in favor of monopoly on this subject. but is compatibility too much to ask?

Microsoft Works is an oxymoron.

The worst I found with Word (so far) is its desire to Autoformat everything. Bugged me to no end until I figured out how to shut it off.

Grey
2005-Jun-01, 07:43 PM
You should be able to save into Microsoft's Office format from OpenOffice. Or, if you just need people to read the files rather than make changes, save your files in PDF format, and then anyone can read them, whether they have Office or not.

For the Works files, Microsoft has conversion tools that will let you open them in Word, but I'm not sure that will help you much. Perhaps find a helpful soul that has Word that would convert all your Works files over, and send them back to you (heck, if there aren't hundreds of files, and they don't contain anything you'd consider confidential, I'd be happy to help).

2005-Jun-01, 08:28 PM
Word problems have sure changed a lot since I went to school!

Dave has six times as much money as Fred, and Bill has three times as much money as Fred. Together they have 550.00. How much does each have?

Gillianren
2005-Jun-01, 08:56 PM
you know, that's exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title.

Lurker
2005-Jun-01, 09:14 PM

Dave has six times as much money as Fred, and Bill has three times as much money as Fred. Together they have 550.00. How much does each have?

You two are soooo outa the loop!!! #-o

frogesque
2005-Jun-01, 09:35 PM

Well, by my reckoning poor Fred has $55, Bill has $165 and Dave is the smart cookie with $330 giving the total $550.

Do I get extra marks for using real ink and a dip pen and not using a calculator?

(Gillianren: Just to show I'm not still totally with the dinosaurs couldn't you save your Open Office files as .rtf? That way you can import/export to any text reader.)

Grey
2005-Jun-01, 09:38 PM

You'll have to add me to the list of out of the loop people, I fear. :)

Van Rijn
2005-Jun-01, 10:11 PM
Oh, me too. I had to carefully parse the question since my brain was stuck in "word problem" mode instead of "Microsoft Word problem" mode. It took a while to flush the queue.