PDA

View Full Version : Building trust via nasal spray

2005-Jun-02, 04:45 PM
Building trust via nasal spray (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050602/TRUST02/TPHealth/)

But now Swiss researchers say they have finally isolated the secret: In oxytocin, we trust.

University students who inhaled the hormone in a nasal spray were discovered to be far more trusting of one another -- eager, in fact, to hand over money to strangers in investment deals.

Finally, a cure for skepticism!

Jim
2005-Jun-02, 05:45 PM
What I found interesting is that the body can be stimulated to producing oxytocin on its own. One was has to do with "saying the right things." Which leads to the possibility that certain people - salesmen, politicians, con artists - are successful because they really do know what to say to gain your trust!

PatKelley
2005-Jun-02, 06:54 PM
What I found interesting is that the body can be stimulated to producing oxytocin on its own. One was has to do with "saying the right things." Which leads to the possibility that certain people - salesmen, politicians, con artists - are successful because they really do know what to say to gain your trust!

...or they gas their offices with this stuff, or wear it like cologne...or just naturally emit the stuff.

Can't wait for advertisers to pick up on this- enter the store... sure I'll give you my money! A few directed-ultrasonic-decay-to-audible hints and whammo! You've turned into a shop-a-holic. A willing and pliant shop-a-holic.

Now we only have to install this technology in military recruitment centers...

frogesque
2005-Jun-02, 08:04 PM
I have only one thing to say:

CHEMTRAILS

Gullible Jones
2005-Jun-02, 08:11 PM
Judging from the results of the experiment, I'd say that the use of human hormones or derivatives thereof in things other than prescription drugs should be made illegal.

Jigsaw
2005-Jun-02, 09:05 PM
Don't get too excited just yet--they didn't use real money. That, for me, glitches it right there. They completely discounted the games-playing/social interaction subtext to it.

They give the subjects Monopoly money or something, and then tell half of them to trust the other guy with part of the Monopoly money, and they find that the group who snorted oxytocin were more inclined to trust the other guy with their Monopoly money. Well, big whoop [rolls eyes]. With nothing in particular at stake, all they proved was that oxytocin makes you more relaxed, or playful, or uncaring, or something, so you don't care as deeply about your paltry handful of play money.

And the computer test part of it only proved that with no one-on-one social interaction, it's less of a jovial game and more cut-and-dried (just a basic "yes" or "no" to "do you want to risk some of your Monopoly money?"), so there's no reward for "playing the game" with the other guy.

I bet they could get the same results with beer, but nobody's worrying that Evil Corporations might spray beer into the ventilating system at Edward Jones and make us all invest in the buggy whip industry...

Maha Vailo
2005-Jun-02, 09:15 PM
Is this where the stereotype of woman-as-shopaholic comes from? :-k

- Maha "shop 'till ya drop, dooby do wop" Vailo

Gullible Jones
2005-Jun-02, 09:35 PM
I think I'll quote myself from FWIS:

I think this would be rather broad-spectrum for easy use. Supposing that "trustingness" increased with dosage, the dosage required to make a person totally trusting of, say, a political candidate would make them totally trusting of everyone and everything.

(Of course, that's assuming that effect is proportional to dose, and that it works exactly how we expect it to... Both of which are rather unlikely, given the brain's complexity. I would think that a really high dose would mess a person up way beyond a state of universal trust.)

JPax brought up that it might end up used as a date-rape drug, but I doubt that that will become the case.

BTW, oxytocin is rather well associated with sexual arrousal in men... So I think that discovering its presence in, say, a supermarket, would be a rather simple matter of observation... if you get my drift.

electromagneticpulse
2005-Jun-02, 09:36 PM

...or they gas their offices with this stuff, or wear it like cologne...or just naturally emit the stuff.

I don't think that would work too well if you wore it like cologne, you would end up going to the first person you meet and giving them your credit card. Hmmm I have a plan... Oh Mr. Gates! Where's he gone? I have a sales pitch for him 8)

Lurker
2005-Jun-02, 09:57 PM

I don't think that would work too well if you wore it like cologne, you would end up going to the first person you meet and giving them your credit card. Hmmm I have a plan... Oh Mr. Gates! Where's he gone? I have a sales pitch for him 8)
Where can I get some of this stuff!! 8)

sidmel
2005-Jun-03, 01:31 PM
Doesn't sound like it's anything to sneeze at...

Andrew
2005-Jun-03, 02:00 PM
From the Nature article (http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050531/full/050531-4.html) accompanying the paper:

Investors were more willing to part with their cash when they inhaled the potion, Fehr's team reports in Nature[1]. Of 29 subjects given oxytocin, 13 handed over all of their cash. Only 6 of the 29 subjects given a placebo to sniff invested all 12 of their credits.

I guess that settles the issue! Do people actually believe this kind of nonsense?

ktesibios
2005-Jun-04, 11:29 PM
Hmm...

Last I heard, we weren't exactly short of things that you could put up your nose to mess up your judgement...

Gullible Jones
2005-Jun-05, 01:07 AM
You have a point... The study needs to be reproduced, with a lot more volunteers.