PDA

View Full Version : The War Comes Home for The Wanderer

Lurker
2005-Jun-04, 01:58 AM
A friend of mine had a boyfriend in the military. He was sent to Iraq shortly before the end of the year. This past Memorial Day weekend his time was up and he was an hour away from stepping on the plane that would take him home.

Apparently a call came in that his buddy's chopper had been shot down so he and another buddy headed out on a rescue attempt. Now my friend's boyfriend is dead. The buddy they went out to rescue was recovered, but died four hours later of his wounds.

My friend will never see her boyfriend again.

Archer17
2005-Jun-04, 03:16 AM
My feelings go out to you & your friend Lurker. There's nothing "appropriate" to say to something like this without it sounding like a corny cliche. If you feel like venting (I know I would), feel free to PM me.

Musashi
2005-Jun-04, 03:31 AM
I tried to think of something to say, but cannot seem to put it into words. I will echo Archer. PM away if you need/want to.

Tensor
2005-Jun-04, 04:04 AM
Lurker, my deepest sympathies to you and your friend. I want to let you know you can vent to me in a PM also.

Gullible Jones
2005-Jun-04, 05:30 PM
Sorry... I really don't know what else to say. Spoken language sort of fails when you try to talk about things like this.

I suppose I'll just have to echo the previous sentiments. :cry:

frogesque
2005-Jun-04, 05:58 PM
Where have all the flowers gone? :(

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Jun-04, 06:05 PM
My deepest condolences. I truly am sorry. I wish I could express it properly, but, as has been said, this isn't the most conducive medium for emotion.

Melusine
2005-Jun-04, 06:06 PM
That is so sad. My heart goes out to her, and thank you for caring about your friend and honoring her sorrow.

Lurker
2005-Jun-04, 08:22 PM
Gods I appreciate all of you... I was so numb when I posted that last night. What do you tell a friend who calls you up in such pain. It makes the war very, very real all of a sudden.

I thank you all for being here... They were so good together, I couldn't just let it pass. If we don't all pull together sometimes what is it all for??

I don't know if there is anything for me to vent right now, it's all just so unreal... so beyond belief...

Tobin Dax
2005-Jun-04, 10:30 PM
I saw this last night, but couldn't think of anything to say. I still can't. My deepest sympathies to you, your friend, and his and her families. That still doesn't quite do it justice, but it's the best I can do. :cry:

Gillianren
2005-Jun-05, 01:25 AM
unfortunately, I can think of something to say.

my boyfriend's off at his monthly drill for the Reserves right now. people in his unit keep getting called up or volunteering, though the unit as a whole isn't going just yet.

obviously, Lurker, I can't say I'm feeling the same as you right now, especially if you knew and liked the guy. but yes, you and your friend have my sympathies, and you know I've been there for you in PM before. I will not say I'm sorry--I didn't do it--but you do have my sympathies.

everyone keep your fingers crossed that I don't have to make a similar post, huh?

Swift
2005-Jun-05, 12:22 PM
Lurker, I'm so sad for you and your friend. I think all you can do is be there for them, but that is so much.

Maksutov
2005-Jun-05, 01:35 PM
That's terrible, Lurker. I'm sorry to hear that. For some reason I recall the penultimate spoken words in "M*A*S*H (by SSgt. Gorman), which apply to all of these disasters. Too bad the politicians that started these messes aren't the ones who have to duke it out. :evil: A lot of us old-timers lost many buddies back between 1964-1972 (and later, think POW/MIA). It's a bad feeling that never leaves you.

Hang in there (and your friend as well).

Lurker
2005-Jun-05, 10:20 PM
I gave my friend this url... these comments and words of support are hers...

Thank you for being here... thank you for being who you all are. My heart is now more than ever with all those whose lives are threatened by this war.

Melusine
2005-Jun-06, 02:07 AM
Lurker,

Let us know how she's doing in 2 or 3 months. Often the initial shock and despair, especially with someone young, it really hits hard a few months later when the memorials are over and relatives have gone home. It's her boyfriend, war or no war, military or no military, facing mortality when she's young (I'm assuming she is) is so difficult and one of those hard, but inevitable lessons of life we all eventually face. I hope she (and you) finds a little bit of comfort in knowing he took on a job that many of us are not brave enough to do, and that trying to rescue someone is noble indeed. Again, it is terribly sad to lose someone you love, and time does not completely repair it, but we go on. I hope she'll be OK. If she does read this thread I hope she feels a little less alone in her sadness, and that you care about her.

Gillianren, I hope you don't have to face this, too. ~shakes head at war~

Edit: noticed missing word

Lurker
2005-Jun-06, 04:46 PM
I'll do that Melusine. Thanks to everyone here.

Let's hope that this is the last such story that has to get posted here...

farmerjumperdon
2005-Jun-06, 05:01 PM
Such a poignant thing to hear about on the anniversary of D-Day. My condolences to you and your friend. I have lost a few friends lately - getting to that age you know - but none to war. All of my nine uncles served in WWII in some capacity. Of note are one that landed in the 1st wave on Utah Beach, and another that spent 2 years as a POW. None had anything good to say about the experience, and Uncle Don (Utah Beach) made it very clear to all us younguns how absolutely inhumanely horrible war is. My sincere sympathies to you and your friend for having to experience the impact of a young person killed at war.

Superluminal
2005-Jun-06, 10:17 PM
What can be said at a time like this? Be there for her and remind her life goes on. Her boy friend sounds like the type who would want her to go on with her life. After all he was trying to help another when this happened.