PDA

View Full Version : Huge burgers=false advertising?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Jun-07, 04:05 PM
I have dreams of really HUGE hamburgers...you know the ones...with those big fluffy/cloud like buns...and thick slices of tomato...and even thicker hamburg patties...

Are you sick of the tv ads? I know I am...show what you are really selling us guys, (you know who you are).... :evil:

jfribrg
2005-Jun-07, 05:31 PM
I don't know. When my dreams involve HUGE things, hamburgers don't figure in the dream.

Melusine
2005-Jun-07, 05:41 PM
Dream of this one in a New York restaurant:

Big Hamburger (http://blog.windeler.de/uploads/fun/HugeHamburger.jpg)

It's real, they serve them there; I can tell you more later, but you can fulfull your dreams. :lol:

Edit: was going to change 'fulfull' to 'fulfill', but it makes sense either way. :wink:

mopc
2005-Jun-07, 05:48 PM

It's real, they serve them there; I can tell you more later, but you can fulfull your dreams. :lol:

Man that's grotesque!

Lance
2005-Jun-07, 05:52 PM
Man that's grotesque!

You misspelled "yummy-looking".

darkhunter
2005-Jun-07, 06:01 PM
Amarillo TX, the Big Texan (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/TXAMAsteak.html): 72 oz. Steak with all the trimmings--free if you eat the whole thing in an hour....

Lance
2005-Jun-07, 06:04 PM
Amarillo TX, the Big Texan (http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/TXAMAsteak.html): 72 oz. Steak with all the trimmings--free if you eat the whole thing in an hour....

Been there, haven't done that. The normal rib-eye I ordered was mediocre at best.

Gillianren
2005-Jun-07, 06:09 PM
to answer the original post, no, it isn't legally false advertising, and they work very hard to keep it that way.

legally, the amount of meat shown in a commercial must be the same as the amount in the one sold in the store, likewise vegetation, etc. do they intentionally pick out the best-looking buns (ha!), etc.? yes. in fact, they even slits in burger patties so they can spread them out to make them look bigger, but if the one they sell in the store in 1/4 pound of beef, so's the one on TV.

in other interesting advertising law, it is illegal to show a fake version of the product actually being sold, so if it's an ice cream commercial, that's by-god ice cream they're showing. if it's chocolate syrup they're selling, it may well be mashed potatoes. (which are rather less inclined to melt.) glue may be added to milk in cereal ads, as milk looks blue under studio lighting and camera.

yes, kind of gross, some of what they do. and it is certainly a highly specialized field of either makeup or special effects, depending on your outlook on the subject. but no, it's not legally false advertising. (TV dinner pictures have to show a real TV dinner from that company, too.)

jfribrg
2005-Jun-07, 06:13 PM
I remember years ago that the beer in beer commercials was supposedly some kind of oil or other substance because the heads on the beer couldn't survive the bright camera lights. I have no idea if that is true or not.

Lurker
2005-Jun-07, 06:23 PM

So once they present you with that... do you put it in a big meat freezer to keep you fed through the long winter months??? :o

Captain Kidd
2005-Jun-07, 06:23 PM
Yeah I saw a show once about the "real" truth in advertising. Tomatoes are airbrushed for the right red look. Bread crusts are laquered for that shiny buttered look. Glue in milk, hadn't heard that but not surprised.

Basically, don't eat any food that's been in an advertisement.

Parrothead
2005-Jun-07, 06:46 PM
Preparing and arranging food is the job of food stylists, and stylists use strange tricks to make food appear appetizing. The scoop of chocolate ice cream advertised on television is often not ice cream at all but tinted mashed potatoes. Real ice cream would melt under the cameraman's harsh lights. And the deliciously thick syrup poured on pancakes? It's probably motor oil.

Food Stylists (http://www3.ccps.virginia.edu/career_prospects/briefs/E-J/FoodStylists.shtml) At least they have a disclaimer
If people actually eat the food, stylists can't substitute motor oil for syrup. On the other hand, trained actors should be able to stomach colored mashed potatoes in place of ice cream. :lol: I guess the question comes down to, what will an actor eat for pay? :wink:

Melusine
2005-Jun-07, 08:31 PM
Oops, I had said New York (have a thing for NY), but it's a Pennsylvania Pub where that burger lies waiting for you. You can read about it at Snopes, which links to the real site. Big Burger (http://www.snopes.com/photos/advertisements//bigburger.asp)

Ingredients:

6 pound burger

Two whole tomatoes

A half-head of lettuce

12 slices of American cheese

A full cup of peppers

Two entire onions

A river of mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard

Edit add: Aren't you hungry now? (speaking of advertising)

Melusine
2005-Jun-07, 08:37 PM
I didn't even notice this, but they updated that on May 2 (it's been out there a while):

Update: In January 2005, a 100-pound woman became the first person to win the Denny's Beer Barrel Pub challenge when 19-year-old Kate Stelnick of Princeton, New Jersey, downed a six-pound Denny's "96er" hamburger and five pounds of fixins' in 2 hours and 54 minutes, just shy of the three-hour time limit. For her trouble, Ms. Stelnick got a special certificate, a T-shirt, and other prizes, as well as having her tab for the $23.95 burger picked up by the house.

After losing the title of "world's biggest burger" to the Clinton Station Diner in Clinton, N.J., which introduced a 12.5-pound hamburger called "Zeus" in early 2005, Denny's reclaimed the crown a few months later by unveiling the "Beer Barrel Belly Buster" a monstrous 15-pound burger featuring 10.5 pounds of ground beef, 25 slices of cheese, a head of lettuce, three tomatoes, two onions, a cup-and-a-half each of mayonnaise, relish, ketchup, mustard and banana peppers. On a bun.
What are the calories in that baby? Why not just eat the cow with some fixings on top?

Sammy
2005-Jun-07, 08:42 PM
You want fries with that?

RE burger sizes, remember that, in all cases that I know about, the weight given is the pre-cooked weight. If it's fatty meat, there is a lot of weight and dimensional shrinkage. Still, starting with six pounds, there ought to be enuff left after cooking for a good meal!

Superluminal
2005-Jun-07, 09:44 PM
I think "The Simpsons" should do an episode about those hamburgers.

Gillianren
2005-Jun-07, 10:06 PM
I remember years ago that the beer in beer commercials was supposedly some kind of oil or other substance because the heads on the beer couldn't survive the bright camera lights. I have no idea if that is true or not.

if it's the beer being advertised, it was actually beer. however, there may have been . . . additives. we probably don't want to know what they are. the interesting thing is that, as I recall, this is why the Pillsbury Dough Boy so seldom touches food--it would, since it's the thing being advertised, have to be real, and that doesn't work well with the animation.

mickal555
2005-Jun-08, 02:26 AM
This thread is making me so......... hungry

*Drools*

Russ
2005-Jun-08, 02:45 AM
to answer the original post, no, it isn't legally false advertising, and they work very hard to keep it that way.

legally, the amount of meat shown in a commercial must be the same as the amount in the one sold in the store, likewise vegetation, etc. do they intentionally pick out the best-looking buns (ha!), etc.? yes. in fact, they even slits in burger patties so they can spread them out to make them look bigger, but if the one they sell in the store in 1/4 pound of beef, so's the one on TV.

in other interesting advertising law, it is illegal to show a fake version of the product actually being sold, so if it's an ice cream commercial, that's by-god ice cream they're showing. if it's chocolate syrup they're selling, it may well be mashed potatoes. (which are rather less inclined to melt.) glue may be added to milk in cereal ads, as milk looks blue under studio lighting and camera.

yes, kind of gross, some of what they do. and it is certainly a highly specialized field of either makeup or special effects, depending on your outlook on the subject. but no, it's not legally false advertising. (TV dinner pictures have to show a real TV dinner from that company, too.)

If all this is true...what's with the "fast food franchise" personel??? Have you seen the women they have in the ads vs the ones in the average W,M,B, et.al.? In the ads, the worst of them is respectable looking, in the actual stores they all have buck teeth and 3 eyes. :roll: Where is the truth in advertising there?

Enzp
2005-Jun-08, 02:55 AM
Oh, I don't know, there was this girl at the Hardees on the Penna Turnpike once, and she was.......

Advertising is a part of show business, and as someone in that field, I never lose sight of the fact that it is not the reality that is important, it is the impression. You don't REALLY have to make an elephant disappear, it just has to look that way.

Russ
2005-Jun-08, 03:18 AM

One summer during my college years I was in a Schlitz Beer advertisement. If you can remember 1976 or so, it was the one where a big schooner enters the bay of a Caribbean island and the crew starts jumping overboard by swining from the riggng.

You see me from about the arm pits down, for about 13 frames or 0.541666666666 seconds, while I swing over the star who is catching a beer can tossed from the deck (supposedly). The can was actually thrown from about 3 feet away to ensure that the star caught it with the logo facing the camera. That particular sequince was shot at a dock and I was swinging from a little gallows they built specifically for the purpose. It took about 25-30 takes to get the shot. :roll: My hands were raw meat at the end of the day.

Anyway, to make a Looooooooong story short, that was all real beer. In some of the shots they put salt in the beer to keep the head looking ideal.

The whole thing was about 1/50th as much fun as looked like in the final cut.

N C More
2005-Jun-08, 12:43 PM
Interesting thread and it appears that just about everyone likes a nice juicy hamburger. However, my advice is to make it yourself, that way you'll have control over what goes into it. I use 93% lean ground beef mixed with ground turkey. This makes a very tasty but much healthier burger. Honestly, it tastes really great. I serve them on multigrain rolls from a local bakery (these rolls are absolutely delicious by themselves).

Why do I go through the bother, you might ask? Well, I saw this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/) awhile back and if "Supersize Me" isn't enough to scare the *beep* outta ya then I don't know what is! My advice is that everyone should check it out before you hit the 'Golden Arches".

Kristophe
2005-Jun-08, 01:28 PM
You know, these days I can't even eat a whole Whopper and fries. I don't know how anyone could eat 6, 12, or 15 pounds of burger. It kinda churns my stomach just to think about it.

Gillianren
2005-Jun-08, 06:24 PM
If all this is true...what's with the "fast food franchise" personel??? Have you seen the women they have in the ads vs the ones in the average W,M,B, et.al.? In the ads, the worst of them is respectable looking, in the actual stores they all have buck teeth and 3 eyes. :roll: Where is the truth in advertising there?

they're not selling the personnel, now, are they? besides which I used to work in fast food, thank you very much, and while I'm not exactly Jodie Foster or Julie Newmar or whoever your ideal of beauty is, I do have all my teeth (natural fangs, too) and only the two eyes.

tmosher
2005-Jun-08, 07:12 PM
I didn't even notice this, but they updated that on May 2 (it's been out there a while):

Update: In January 2005, a 100-pound woman became the first person to win the Denny's Beer Barrel Pub challenge when 19-year-old Kate Stelnick of Princeton, New Jersey, downed a six-pound Denny's "96er" hamburger and five pounds of fixins' in 2 hours and 54 minutes, just shy of the three-hour time limit. For her trouble, Ms. Stelnick got a special certificate, a T-shirt, and other prizes, as well as having her tab for the $23.95 burger picked up by the house.

After losing the title of "world's biggest burger" to the Clinton Station Diner in Clinton, N.J., which introduced a 12.5-pound hamburger called "Zeus" in early 2005, Denny's reclaimed the crown a few months later by unveiling the "Beer Barrel Belly Buster" a monstrous 15-pound burger featuring 10.5 pounds of ground beef, 25 slices of cheese, a head of lettuce, three tomatoes, two onions, a cup-and-a-half each of mayonnaise, relish, ketchup, mustard and banana peppers. On a bun.
What are the calories in that baby? Why not just eat the cow with some fixings on top?

The cow squrims around too much and it's a pain to get one between a hamburger bun.

Russ
2005-Jun-08, 07:18 PM

they're not selling the personnel, now, are they? besides which I used to work in fast food, thank you very much, and while I'm not exactly Jodie Foster or Julie Newmar or whoever your ideal of beauty is, I do have all my teeth (natural fangs, too) and only the two eyes.

I have run across the occational "burger beauty", such as yourself, but the oppocite end of the spectrum has inordinate representation.

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jun-09, 05:16 AM
Those big burgers are team sports specials...just order two and a large stack of extra plates...sharing darn well better be permitted...

Orpheus
2005-Jun-09, 04:45 PM

yeah, but do you ever get that feeling when your half way through eating a horse, you think "im not as hungry as i thought i was"? :D

Melusine
2005-Jun-09, 05:00 PM

yeah, but do you ever get that feeling when your half way through eating a horse, you think "im not as hungry as i thought i was"? :D
Lol. =D>

You know that Pennsylvania menu where those behemoth-burgers are is great...we printed it out. Cheap, too. Of course, I'd have to fly to get there, but if someone lives in PA, he or she should check it out...they have everything but the horse.