PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling fan advice

jfribrg
2005-Jun-07, 06:40 PM
I am in the market to replace a couple of ceiling fans whose bearings have worn out. It seems that in the couple of years since I last bought one, some new styles have emerged with wide blades (http://www.hansenwholesale.com/ceiling-fans/HW_CFDetail.asp?emt=HW_Fansearch%20Fan%20Image&Mfg =EM&ModelNo=CF2000SG&ProdNo=CF2000SG-AB&NFinish=&sbBrand=ALL&sbStyle=Trop&sbFinish=ALL& sbSize=ALL&sbPrice=ALL&sbType=ALL&sbFilter=OFF&sbM ode=ON) instead of long thin blades. My first thought was that this would move air better, but after thinking about it for a while, I'm not sure that these types of fans would last as long since the torque would be greater. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Captain Kidd
2005-Jun-07, 06:48 PM
Hey! Something I can actually offer advice on!

We own a ceiling fan very similar to that. It's a Hunter model and the blades are shaped like leaves but similar in size.

So far we've had it for two years and no problem. Although it is a continuous use fan so that might have saved the motor some. It's set on the lowest setting and only turns off when the local power grid fails or we need to clean it. We'll occasionally speed it up if the room gets really hot; but that's really rare.

I think they compensated for the larger blades as the motor casing on ours is larger than the standard-size ones. Heavy sucker to hang too.

Edit: Well phooey, can't find ours on their site. Anyways, we've had no problem and it's quite. IF you're going to turn it off and on multiple times a day though, donno. As I said, ours had a larger, longer actually, motor which I assume is to help overcome the bigger blades. Hoever, the bades weren't much heavier as they were plastic and not wood like the standard fan it replaced.

Edit Mark II: Here's the Lowe's entry (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=47683-1811-PLM52ABZ5&lpage=none) Stupid Hunter website wants me to select by finish and yet aged bronze is not an option... grr

Russ
2005-Jun-08, 05:31 AM
The real issue is power consumption as the motors on any good quality fan is so lightly loaded that it matters not the least what type of blade they swing.

As a general rule, the more blades the more amps it'll take to run the fan so 4 is better than 5, thin is better than broad, etc. from a power consumption stand point. As Cpt. Kidd pointed out start/stop cycles have a big impact on power consumption due to "inrush" current.

NOW, since most of these fans draw about .25 amps, who gives a rats' patutie? The light bulbs in the fixture on the bottom draws more juice than the motor. :)

Captain Kidd
2005-Jun-08, 11:09 AM
Heh, unless you do like us and have no lights on the bottom. :D My wife's all into ambient lighting versus direct. I'm finally use to it, but it took me awhile. Aslo, I think jfribrg was more concerned about motor wear than power consumption.

jfribrg
2005-Jun-08, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the input. I like the idea of the fan moving more air, and no i'm not really concerned about power consumption, since a more effective fan will let me keep the AC off. The key is it has to be quiet, and I will be going for the one with lights in the middle. I will probably make the purchases this weekend.

jams001
2008-Nov-12, 02:39 PM
this is good idea is thanks for the useful idea you share to us:confused:
-
Most problems with ceiling fans that have a controller are usually due to the controller. They have a solid state switch that switches the 120 volts line voltage on and off 60 times a second. That's a tough job. Anyway, they have a really high rate of failure
The light bulb blowing probably caused a short circuit for an instant and damaged the controller. Surges in current or voltage will do that. The controller probably needs to be replaced. The remote is probably OK.
If it was and you have already tried replacing the batteries in the remote. You will have to get a new one. This system uses the same circuit as a wall controller with the added complexity of a little computer, it's power circuit and a radio frequency circuit. I'm sure it's susceptible to the same high rate of failure as described above for wall controllers.
What is it, it is a transformer mounted inside the fan canopy the remote works it, all on the same circuit. When dimming the lights and fan speed alot it wares down the unit. Some people on wall dimmers, instead of turning it off completely they will just dim it down. This creates heat and causes the unit to fail. When not in use turn remote off if equiped with an on and off feature, this will prolong the life of a dimmer as well as a fan control.