PDA

View Full Version : Nasa cuts 'will hamper science'

Kullat Nunu
2005-Jun-08, 08:27 AM
BBC news article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4070728.stm)

A major US research body has warned that cuts in Nasa's 2006 budget will hamper progress in understanding our planet and the rest of the Universe.

publiusr
2005-Jun-08, 08:55 PM
Cry me a river --blasted pointy heads. (Not aimed at you Kullat--your quotation marks explain your position well)

It is our engineering and rocketry programs that have been stagnant thanks to these white coats during the Goldin era, and that isn't an 'ad hominem' attack as below--but a statement of fact.

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Jun-09, 12:19 AM
publiusr, this kind of ad hominem will get you banned if you do it again. Got it?

Metricyard
2005-Jun-09, 01:00 AM
you know, I hate to say it, but I think it's time for NASA to drop the Shuttle.
This would free up alot of money for all the other projects (including the planned manned Moon/Mars missions). Trying to keep the shuttle operational for another decade is just so wasteful,and a major drain on scarce funding, in my opinion.

Edit: fix spelling

frogesque
2005-Jun-09, 01:29 AM
If loosing Hubble, ISS and the Shuttle meant a concerted effort to get a manned mision to Mars then I think the trade-off would be worth it but sadly I don't think this will happen. Compared to the US budget what the UK spend on space is miniscule but it does look as if America is becoming more and more introspective. I hope Europe can find enough unity and cash to fill the gaps that less space exploration by the US would leave.

It is unreasonable for the world to expect any one nation to take on the whole cost of that exploration mantle and the only sensible way forward is a world effort pooling resource and expertise.

I don't think private enterprise is the answer. Whilst it may provide fun trips for folk with money to burn I feel shareholders will come before science.