PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to go on a diet with me?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Jun-08, 01:40 PM
I desparately need/want to lose some wait. I'd like to lose 20-30 pounds. Anybody want to be my diet buddy?

Kristophe
2005-Jun-08, 02:06 PM
I'm already on one!
The important thing about losing weight is to burn calories, not cut them. If you make a drastic reduction in your caloric intake, your body will think it's starving, and your metabolism will drop. You'll actually gain weight.

Dietary changes that you should make: Reduce or eliminate pop, booze (I trust you've been keeping up with that anyway), or foods with high concentrations of refined sugars. Instead of white bread, eat whole grain bread, and switch over to whole wheat pasta. The more complex sugars you eat instead of simple sugars, the better off you'll be.

Walk, run, or bike for an hour or more every other day, or more. And do some strength training two to three times per week. Just simple things, like free weights, will help keep you from burning off muscle with the fat.

It's hard at first, especially if you're not very active right now. Especially since I know the weather's been bad down on the mainland for the past month. After a couple of weeks, though, you'll really find that you have more energy, and that you'll really want to take that walk after supper, or whenever, instead of sitting down to read or watch TV.

Just remember, weight loss is a very gradual thing. Don't be discouraged because you're not how you want to look in time for the beach season this year. Stay on track, and you will be by next year!

Sammy
2005-Jun-08, 03:03 PM
Mrs. Sammy signed up with Weightwatchers last Winter and followed their "Core Foods" program. She found it easy to follow, and was never physically hungry. You don't buy any foods from them, but choose what you eat from various categories they outline. Foods in the "Core" category can be eaten in any amounts you wish; non-Core foods have suggested limits based on your current/goal weights. The diets ends up quite close to the foods that Kristophe suggests, but the program provides structure and the motivation of a weekly weigh-in at their officw.

She lost 20lbs (her goal), and is maintaining it with no prob. She is now close to her weight at our wedding 41 years ago (tho with some redistribution) :) (Just kidding Dear)

Kristophe
2005-Jun-08, 03:24 PM
Nothing wrong with a little redistribution every now and again.

I forgot to mention: Drink water. Lots and lots and lots of it. Just straight up water, on top of whatever else you may care to drink. Like, between two and three litres of the stuff per day. Trust me, three litres of water per day will keep you VERY active ;)

Mainframes
2005-Jun-08, 05:11 PM
I desparately need/want to lose some wait. I'd like to lose 20-30 pounds. Anybody want to be my diet buddy?

I could do with gaining about 20 pounds, so I would be happy to take it off your hands..... :wink:

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Jun-09, 05:28 AM
I'm doing the WW thing too, just using the 'flex' plan...ya eat anything ya want, just in limited quantities, and you must be scathingly honest as far as recording it all and getting portion sizes corredt.

The loss slope isn't, it's more a sawtooth pattern...up, down, gain a bit, lose a bit...15 pounds so far.

I was exercising regularly by walking (three different one-hour courses, just to prevent boredom) with a trick I learned from a mountaineering magazine -- two old wood mop handles with crutch tips, used like you would ski poles. Gives you a bit of an upper-body workout to boot, and gives a struttin' sense of purpose (or so my psyche told me). But something happened around Easter -- I'm still not sure what it was -- and I stopped dead...so I've got to get back on the stick and start up again. Might be a tad tough, though, working ten hour shifts...I sorta run out of steam late, and I don't build up any early.

But...I ran into an old friend I hadn't seen in a couple of years last week. Or should I say I ran into half of him...he'd lost 170 pounds. And of course, since I started, my back and knees are noticeably better, my blood chemistry has drastically improved, and I'm on the edge of having my diabetes medication levels adjusted because of that...enough of a reason not to give up...

...I'm eating vegetables in public...my reputation is tarnished forevermore... :cry:

Enzp
2005-Jun-09, 05:35 AM
And don't skip meals, your body reacts to that by conserving its supplies. No matter how unappealing it seems, eat something at the start of the day. Good luck, it is a difficult job losing weight.

Sammy
2005-Jun-09, 03:09 PM
Charlie In Dayton wrote

I'm doing the WW thing too, just using the 'flex' plan...ya eat anything ya want, just in limited quantities, and you must be scathingly honest as far as recording it all and getting portion sizes corredt.

Good going, Charlie! I tried to get Mrs. Sammy to try that option instead of their Core program, but she just didn't want to do the effort of recording stuff.

The "saw-tooth" effect sems to be universal; she experienced it, and so am I. I'm not not on any plan, but just cutting out/greatly reducing the hi-fat, hi-cal stuff, and employing a little portion control (portion control used to be seeing how much I could get on a plate!). I've lost a few lbs and hope to shed a few more. Diet experts recommend not weighing yourself daily, because the saw-tooth results sometime "de-motivate" people.

The effects you mention are the real benefits of dieting, especially for us more mature types. I have several friends who are quite overweight, suffer from both knee and back problems (almost to the point of being handicapped), and yet don't seem motivated to lose weight.

Candy
2005-Jun-09, 03:17 PM
It's hard for me to work-out, period. I wish I lived by Kristophe. :P

I extended my personal trainer for another 3 months. I'm hoping to start meeting some people at the gym, so I can have work-out buddies. I don't talk to anyone now, except the employees. They love me, because I make fun of Sgt Dan (he got promoted to Master Sgt). :D

Kristophe
2005-Jun-09, 05:16 PM
I took 160 pictures while out biking on Monday. If you want good motivation to go walking, buy a cheap digital camera and get a decently sized flash card for it. Those things are rediculously addictive to play with.

I admit that it's pretty easy for me to go outside just to enjoy the scenery at the moment. There are finally leaves on the trees, the sun's out, the lake looks beautiful, and the "mountain" (i.e. the big hill) across from the lake is incredible.

Makgraf
2005-Jun-09, 11:23 PM
I lost about 10 lbs on my patented "stress-and-not-eating" exam diet.

paulie jay
2005-Jun-10, 04:03 AM
Best of luck Banquo, hope it all goes well. :)

DroneFour
2005-Jun-10, 08:19 AM
You should have your significant other break up with you. 30 pounds in 30 days.
P.S. I'm much better now.